What a way to go! Unidentified foreigner slumped up against beer bar pole for two hours

webfact

7 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

2hrs !!! A sad reflection on what we, as a society, have become....

Yes - it is a real shame....Unfortunately throughout the bar soi's its all about money so if you are not in a party tip-mode noone seems to have interest in you.......

RIP old fellow, the life seems to have ended where everything starts - among the women....

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, africasiaeuro said:

In harsh words, a Farung dies like a dog on the street. Noone to come near him. Nobody gives a hoot about him.

Except for his money.

Its quite often you see people slumped in bars or sitting slumped outside them , had he fallen flat out on the floor , I am quite sure that people would have immediately come to assist him .

The problem was that it looked like he is just sitting there drunk and its usually better to just leave drunks where they are .

As soon as they realised that he hadnt moved for a while , people went to check up on him

7 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

No ID tells me some shallow punk took his wallet while he was deceased, sad, really sad this Thai society in the touristy areas, I hope they get what Greece got back in the 90's, very few tourists because of their selfishness, sending many businesses against the walls.

That's a bit of an assumption.  Many tourists leave their documents in their hotel and just take enough money to pay for their night on the tiles.  Anyway any thief worth his salt would have nicked the watch as well!

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Its quite often you see people slumped in bars or sitting slumped outside them , had he fallen flat out on the floor , I am quite sure that people would have immediately come to assist him .

The problem was that it looked like he is just sitting there drunk and its usually better to just leave drunks where they are .

As soon as they realised that he hadnt moved for a while , people went to check up on him

it's normal in a lot of places. i've even been in bars where some locals guys have passed out on the table and asked the bar staff if he's ok. literally asked them, are you sure he's not dead. they would just say he's ok, let him sleep. sure enough they always wake up. this blokes dying the way he has is rare and i for one if i saw him would assume he was drunk and fell asleep.

15 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

That's a bit of an assumption.  Many tourists leave their documents in their hotel and just take enough money to pay for their night on the tiles. 

.................and end up having to go to an ATM machine in the early hours

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Hmmm! Alchohol poisoning might be a good place to start.

Got to say though that customer service at this bar sucks. Dead for 2 hours before anyone bothers to even check him?

Oh they checked him, no id and no wallet. he was definitely checked.

50 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

It seems to be a very Asian thing.

Many years ago I was living in a beachside house in the north of the Philippines.Heard some shouting, a fishing boat came in and deposited a dead body on the beach.People with their children came from all over to stand there and watch.A body thats been in water for many hours is not a pretty sight.

I grabbed a blanket from my room and covered him and went back to phone the police .When I came back the blanket was gone and the crowd had grown larger.

I had a bit of a rant about "respect" which was ignored and my staff said its "normal" for people inc kids to watch.

good example of cultural differences........they probably wondered why is the crazy foreigner covering him with a blanket and trying to stop us from viewing the corpse. 

7 hours ago, NE1 said:

Not necessarily , I often go out without I.D. as do a number of my friends.

That is very dumb for a variety of reasons. Get your passport and visa copy encased in plastic and always carry with you. It's the law anyway.

8 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Thainess at its best, RIP mate, just wondering if anyone would have acted any quicker if the deceased was Chinese ?

Unbelievably racist comment

I've seen thais countless times give assistance and show compassion to farangs who are or were worse for wear

Just now, BobBKK said:

That is very dumb for a variety of reasons. Get your passport and visa copy encased in plastic and always carry with you. It's the law anyway.

unnecessary. photo of passport and visa expiry should be fine on the phone. rarely been asked for ID but when i have driving licence has been accepted 

Why are some posters blaming the Thai staff ? Plenty of farang bar owners in this area who probably spotted him and did nothing. He looked like a drunk fallen asleep. Nothing you could do really. R.I.P.

Just now, Happy enough said:

unnecessary. photo of passport and visa expiry should be fine on the phone. rarely been asked for ID but when i have driving licence has been accepted 

'should be fine'?  TiT

Last time I was at a beer bar raid that didn't work but either a plastic credit card size passport copy OR driving license always works. I carry both every single day of my life but often just one of my licenses if going out drinking.

Carry nothing is asking for trouble.. accidents, police and, as this guy found out, dropping dead.

7 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I gather you mean, a sad reflection on what Thai society have become, sad part about it is, its always been that way, in other words if this was in a western country, I am 99.9% certain passers by would have checked in on him more earlier that 2 hours or at least called for some support group or police to attend much earlier than to sit and stare and ponder while eating grass.

No ID tells me some shallow punk took his wallet while he was deceased, sad, really sad this Thai society in the touristy areas, I hope they get what Greece got back in the 90's, very few tourists because of their selfishness, sending many businesses against the walls.

Are you saying there were no farangs around him? Well, I would borrow you 99.9% certainty, and suggest there were farangs about. And, the shallow punk you mention didn't bother to get his watch.

15 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Oh not so dumb one , I can only pray that I have your wisdom one day. 

20 minutes ago, dirtynomad said:

good example of cultural differences........they probably wondered why is the crazy foreigner covering him with a blanket and trying to stop us from viewing the corpse. 

Or being good Catholics in the Philippines, they were waiting for the "Lazarus moment"

The autopsy should show cause as it could be any of the ones mentioned. Unfortunate I didn’t someone was near him didn’t take a look to make sure he was Ok. 

Maybe he didn’t have a wallet or dropped it somewhere ......

Seems a lot of people are gun shy to help because of possible legal

reasons. It’s  that way in the US not sure about here.

yesterday driving down the road a elderly man must of lost control of his moto was laying facedown on the ground. A man was signaling not

to go over and see about him. I could tell he was breathing rather hard.

luckily the hospital is two bloacks away and a ambulance truck showed up 

9 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I can understand why passersby would think he's just another Pattaya drunk. It's an unusual position in which to die. Although staff from the adjacent bar should have checked much earlier. New sandals, hadn't been in Thailand long. Overweight, heart issue?

Iv'e been here for decades and yesterday i bought a new pair of 'kito' sandals so much for your detection . 

10 hours ago, Spaniel said:

What a sad way to go.   

Yeah maybe. Seeing my mate's dad in his 80's undergoing 'palliative care' dying a little bit every day, pumped full of drugs, literally the living dead. I've been in plenty of bars (Indonesia, Thailand, Laos, Khmer) where I'd thought more than once- "If I die now, I'll die very happy!"  

You know what I mean, right?

Can anybody explain to me why after somebody is found dead, some members on here make cheap nasty remarks?

Yes, I can. 

So man has died, nobody yet knows the reason, so please show some respect.

Why? The fact is that roughly two people die every second of every day. I don't know this person anymore than I know the dozen who just died as I was typing this sentence. I'm sorry, that's just the way of the world. 

And why does knowing the reason have anything to do with respect in your mind? If he died an ignoble death, then that's different from a heart attack brought on by excessive alcohol? Maybe he had a terminal disease and it was natural?

The members who get their kicks out of mocking a dead person, just stop and think, what would your family feel if it were you others were mocking.

I wouldn't care, frankly. They don't know my family and I don't know them. Say what you like; it has absolutely zero impact on anything. 

We all have freedom of speech and if that right upsets you, be upset by all means. That's your right too. But don't expect me to give a flying one about the death of a total stranger. 

10 hours ago, Spaniel said:

What a sad way to go.   

Can think of MUCH worse ways...like nearly all of them! Seems a not so bad way really. Naked nymphs dancing about as the final curtain closes.? 

6 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

Can anybody explain to me why after somebody is found dead, some members on here make cheap nasty remarks?

Yes, I can. 

Why? The fact is that roughly two people die every second of every day. I don't know this person anymore than I know the dozen who just died as I was typing this sentence. I'm sorry, that's just the way of the world. 

And why does knowing the reason have anything to do with respect in your mind? If he died an ignoble death, then that's different from a heart attack brought on by excessive alcohol? Maybe he had a terminal disease and it was natural?

The members who get their kicks out of mocking a dead person, just stop and think, what would your family feel if it were you others were mocking.

I wouldn't care, frankly. They don't know my family and I don't know them. Say what you like; it has absolutely zero impact on anything. 

We all have freedom of speech and if that right upsets you, be upset by all means. That's your right too. But don't expect me to give a flying one about the death of a total stranger. 

He was most likely a good bloke. Had his good side and like the rest of us, his petty jealousies and concerns. Sorry he's dead, sorry for his wife and kids or mum. But yeah, comedy requires victims, and this one's past carin'.

27 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

Yes, I can. 

I wouldn't care, frankly. They don't know my family and I don't know them. Say want you like; it has absolutely zero impact on anything. 

Agree, I am sure that the most of see this as a sad situation, but at the same time God gave us humor so we in a way can mentally balance ourselves to be able to continue forward. Death is the one and only incident we know for sure will happen with all of us during a lifetime and of the same reason we should also be able to talk about it as something normal and funny rather than something sad and dangerous in a way without to be disrespectful....:smile:

Archived