What a way to go! Unidentified foreigner slumped up against beer bar pole for two hours

webfact

I collapsed in the street in lower Sukhumvit some years ago. It was late afternoon and I was on the way home from the office dressed in my work clothes. I was immediately helped by several street vendors and some passing tourists, one of whom was a doctor. Several people stayed with me until I felt well enough to go home nearby. Very different situation however to the one that this poor chap found himself in. Late at night or early in the morning of a bar area in Pattaya. People obviously thought that he had had one too many and was sleeping it off. Sad, but probably understandable that people made assumptions about his situation.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

So stupid....lol

I live with my head above the sand, I know Thai's,

Sorry 4MyEgo.....I didn't realize that.. "You Know Thai's".......Pleas, dont ever alter that screen name..its just so right for you...............:coffee1:

5 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

2hrs !!! A sad reflection on what we, as a society, have become....

That alley is home to JP Bar....where all the freaks congregate....if you have seen it, you would know that a man slumped

by a pole is actually quite tame compared to the shit you see on that alley.

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

So stupid....lol

I live with my head above the sand, I know Thai's, you obviously don't, as for your video on the UK, would never visit it as I know what the Brits are like as well.

Education has always been a key, sadly most are not educated like some.

The last time I had alcohol poisoning, just recently I may add, I treated it by projectile vomiting from my front door into my kitchen and then attempted to clean it up by rolling around in it.

Not my proudest moment but I did have the presence of mind to roll onto my front before passing out, so I consider myself to be extremely educated as in the face of adversity I still remembered the golden rule.

That, and I’m nowhere famous enough to die alone choking on my own vomit (RIP Bon)

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

No ID tells me some shallow punk took his wallet while he was deceased.....

I think you are on the right track, there.

I posted a couple of years ago about a woman who was killed crossing the route 36.  Her purse and phone disappeared within minutes, before any emergency services or the police arrived.  They couldn't identify her for 2 weeks, no doubt because her id was in her purse.  

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

.....a sad reflection on what Thai society have become.....

Without a doubt!

5 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Most likely a heart attack.  When the left ventricle blocks you have a limited window to respond before you die. It's why it is called the widow maker. Perhaps he was just a typical patron of the bar and it was used to people passing out.

cool, not only a heart attack but you have delineated the precise anatomy.  so left anterior descending artery blocked off?

why do think it was heart attack versus opiates or alcohol?

he does look like he's just passed out drunk, you'd have thought that someone in the bar would check up on him though.

i've been in bars where they often had people passed out, thai guys, and they just leave them there, few hours later they'd wake up and hobble off. 

Such a sad way to go. Alone and on the floor, in a Pattaya beer bar area. Wow. Many of us can only hope we do not meet the same fate. Since I am such a light drinker, I kind of doubt it, but kind of a sobering thought. Probably a heart attack. And probably a good idea to always carry ID. 

To be fair, maybe the Staff and Patrons of this presumably, Up Market, Highly Reputable Establishment, thought the poor chap was simply Meditating and Making Merit ?

”NO, NO” you say ? What an unkind, cynical lot !

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Hmmm! Alchohol poisoning might be a good place to start.

Got to say though that customer service at this bar sucks. Dead for 2 hours before anyone bothers to even check him?

Can’t believe no one bothered him for a taxi or lady or buy drink or suit in this time

Truth is Thais are just as likely to show empathy as western countries, possibly much more likely than some. Unfortunately farang, like too many do, create a situation whereas this becomes the norm. How many times do you see guys pissed like this or on the verge of passing out. It has become so common here it's like crying wolf, how many drunks are the locals supposed to carry home every night. Tune onto any of the CCVC live early morning hours on the islands or WS, LK Metro and count the farang wasted and about one beer away from entering a coma. Sad but farang behavior in Pattaya over the last 50 years have the Thais convinced normal farang are rare. Just look at like your hometown and imagine foreigners stumbling around drunk rolling in the streets and passed out in front of 7-11. You going to show empathy after decades of putting up with that sh*t. I think not.

1 minute ago, JAZZDOG said:

Truth is Thais are just as likely to show empathy as western countries, possibly much more likely than some. Unfortunately farang, like too many do, create a situation whereas this becomes the norm. How many times do you see guys pissed like this or on the verge of passing out. It has become so common here it's like crying wolf, how many drunks are the locals supposed to carry home every night. Tune onto any of the CCVC live early morning hours on the islands or WS, LK Metro and count the farang wasted and about one beer away from entering a coma. Sad but farang behavior in Pattaya over the last 50 years have the Thais convinced normal farang are rare. Just look at like your hometown and imagine foreigners stumbling around drunk rolling in the streets and passed out in front of 7-11. You going to show empathy after decades of putting up with that sh*t. I think not.

bit of a farang bash that. i live in a very thai area, the only farang around here. trust me, lots of thai blokes drink until they pass out. in the bars and on the soi. it's not a farang thing

Archived