Student-loan guarantor gets reprieve

webfact

I've seen a number of Thais having problems because they acted as guarantors for 'trusted'/'close' friends or workmates who eventually left them high and dry (and struggling to pay someone else's debt). I don't know why it happens so often here and why, despite such stories, people still put themselves in this situation. On the one hand, I commend them for caring about others (if that is indeed the motivation). On the other had, I hit my head against the wall over the naivety of it all... (there's a song lyric in there somewhere).  

• Like 1

"The house and land plots are an inheritance from my late parents,” Vipa lamented. “Had I known that I would face such foreclosure, I would not have signed on as a guarantor.”  "

What did you think you had guaranteed?  Although I have sympathy for her she was not well educated in loans Something Thais are not well versed on . This should be a required course in high school but sorry it is not

9 hours ago, davehowden said:

And the SLF saw nothing wrong in allowing the same teacher to be guarantor for 60 student loans totaling 600,000, don't the SLF have a duty of care to protect stupid people from themselves?

Totally agree.

16 hours ago, bluesofa said:

This is a teacher speaking, who signed as a guarantor for 60 student loans of around 10,000 Baht each.

No wonder the country's in the state it is, if this is the level of understanding and responsibility the educators have.

Even now, she probably needs ten minutes with a calculator to work out she put herself at risk for 600,000 Baht.

Yes.and that was 20 years ago.ie You could get a beer for 15 baht them days.And her home and land was maybe only worth about 100,000 .etc etc etc.She needs to look into miss selling.Had to put a pun in.

The whole student loan/scholarship system in Thailand is flawed.  Every student that gets a government scholarship to attend a university overseas is forced to get someone to guarantee the scholarship. Most of these students are given scholarships and pay back those scholarships by working for the government in one capacity or another. Those guarantors, often relatives, parents, friends sign the papers and are sometimes left holding the bag when the students decide to stay and not return to Thailand.  I have seen this twice here in Los Angeles.  The students don't seem to feel any guilt at screwing over the people who signed the guarantees.  It's sort of a mindset of me first.  Same with the students in the OP.  They don't care what they have done to the poor teacher.  Seems like many (not all) Thais have the ability to put things behind them all too easily, leaving carnage in their wake. They move on  with little guilt.  

• Like 1

On 7/26/2018 at 9:20 AM, bluesofa said:

I understand what you're saying. Perhaps it's down to how it was taught at school? I feel reasonably confident when doing it mentally.

The eleven times table: 27 x11: Add the two digits 2 and 7, placing the result in the middle: 297. That doesn't need an approximation, as it's just a cheats way to do it mentally. 52x11=572 Just a bit of fun to impress people - but perhaps not a Thai teacher!

I went into our local shop for three Leos at 60 Baht each. Gave the woman 200 Baht and told her I needed 20 Baht change. She used a calculator to arrive at the same result, and was astounded I could do it in my head.

Years ago I saw a bar cashier use a calculator to work out 1,000 minus 100.

I'm sure you wouldn't need a calculator for those two, although the locals here seem to.

So whats wrong with 10*52+52?

That way you're actually understanding the calculation

4 minutes ago, MartinBangkok said:

So whats wrong with 10*52+52?

That way you're actually understanding the calculation

Yes, I follow your point. My son has no understanding of how to multiply by 10 sadly. The school does NOT teach what we would consider very basic maths, let alone prepare them for the outside world.

My son can mentally add two single digits,  making the "easy" 11 times table work for him. He is in the top 5-10% of the class. That must say a lot, as some of the other kids (age 13-14) can't even add two single digits without using their fingers (or - without using their multiple digits).

I think it really just highlights what this thread is about - that the teacher apparently didn't understand she was liable for the debt she guaranteed.

I feel sorry for her. But did she really think they would repay the loans? How could they or why would they? Did the parents who accepted the loans think they would repay them? I doubt it.

I have a friend who is a teacher and I sent her a text that used 1/2. She didn't know what 1/2 meant.

On 7/26/2018 at 1:48 PM, scorecard said:

This was specifically a student loan from the Thai Student Loan Fund, which gives loans to students with very limited to zero resources, that's the reason for the funds' existence.

And times have changed.  The guarantor needs to be a public official, Head of Ampur or School official for these government education loans to poor people.

In the past (at the time they were signed, the implication given was this was a signature mainly to guarantee that the student is in fact that.  It is only in the last two years or so under this new government that it has.  I applaud the new current government in its crack down on abuses, however in this case I think it is better to concentrate on new guarantees after informing them of the new attitudes to these guarantees (and if they are still required this means student loans will be unable to be given to unconnected poor students.)  Collection should of course be enforced against the students.

Inforced against the Students . Brilliant idea. Despite their over inflated egoes they are still Children and worthless. I have 2 who rule the world in their eyes , but they dont have any money. Bit like the twits that taught them . There aint no Free Lunches Teacher.!.Theres Bright thers Thick get over it.!.?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 7/26/2018 at 8:48 AM, scorecard said:

This was specifically a student loan from the Thai Student Loan Fund, which gives loans to students with very limited to zero resources, that's the reason for the funds' existence.

It was to buy a car. And she couldn't pay it back obviously. 9700 per month on a 10k salary.

I do think people in Thailand were a lot more honest back before the recession in the 90's. A couple of teachers and older members in my extended family have had their fingers burned by loaning/guaranteeing money to close friends and colleagues, who they thought they could trust, and have had a lot of hassle to get even some money back.

• Like 1