Film cover/waxing, etc..

Or whatever name it's given. Is it worth it?

We have a new ford everest and the wife thinks should invest in this, says it preserves the sparkle of the car and stops it losing any of the paint work in heavy rain etc. The cost is approx 20k. Do the motoring experts on here feel that this is worth it. No need for an essay just a simple yes or no is fine.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by Pat in Pattaya
addition

21 hours ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

We have a new ford everest and the wife thinks should invest in this, says it preserves the sparkle of the car and stops it losing any of the paint work in heavy rain etc. The cost is approx 20k. Do the motoring experts on here feel that this is worth it. No need for an essay just a simple yes or no is fine.

No, waste of time and money.  If it was necessary manufacturers would do it from the factory.

Heavy rain, even the most torrential, will not cause any loss of paint. 

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, transam said:

A quality wax polish has always done the job......Such as Autoglym...

Yes Trans ... don't use a cheap wax, or a soft wax. A 'friend' gave me a soft wax, it came from Japan, said great for white cars.  Hell ... after a few weeks my Everest looked dirty. A detailing friend when, I said my paintwork looked dirty ask if I put a wax on top. When I said a soft wax, he said ... not in Thailand as it softens and dust sticks.

It came up like new with IPA ....I'm back to using Si-700 every few weeks again ?

For JW ...all our cars are ceramic coated ... I did them and yes they need maintenance... bird dropping etc come off easier as does the rubber scuff marks from motor bike guys shoes. Worth paying for it  ... if you are rich enough Opti-coat Pro+ or equivalent maybe.

Edited by JAS21

1 hour ago, JAS21 said:

For JW ...all our cars are ceramic coated ... I did them and yes they need maintenance... bird dropping etc come off easier as does the rubber scuff marks from motor bike guys shoes. Worth paying for it  ... if you are rich enough Opti-coat Pro+ or equivalent maybe.

"...if you are rich enough..."

Wish I could be "rich enough" (What? As rich as you?) to have the coating you have, I can but dream of wasting that much.

On 7/28/2018 at 10:07 PM, Just Weird said:

"...if you are rich enough..."

Wish I could be "rich enough" (What? As rich as you?) to have the coating you have, I can but dream of wasting that much.

You seem to have little idea of the cost of coatings if you buy direct from the company in Japan. My ECO700 cost me a little over the equivalent of  £80 although now it is nearer £100.  I did our three cars with it and loaned it to a friend who did two more and you can have what's left if you like, but it is a bit old now but been kept in the fridge.

TBH I don't think you have a 'kin clue about ceramic coatings ........ may I respectfully suggest that in future you comment on what you know and not what you think you know ................ yes my day could have been better ?

Oh ... and one of the three cars is 22years old and my wife's from new ....

20150919_155728.jpg.f78ea13616234dafa7978ff451c596d9.jpg

Edited by JAS21
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, JAS21 said:

You seem to have little idea of the cost of coatings if you buy direct from the company in Japan. My ECO700 cost me a little over the equivalent of  £80 although now it is nearer £100.  I did our three cars with it and loaned it to a friend who did two more and you can have what's left if you like, but it is a bit old now but been kept in the fridge.

TBH I don't think you have a 'kin clue about ceramic coatings ........ may I respectfully suggest that in future you comment on what you know and not what you think you know ................ yes my day could have been better ?

Oh ... and one of the three cars is 22years old and my wife's from new ....

20150919_155728.jpg.f78ea13616234dafa7978ff451c596d9.jpg

You seem to have little concept of the English language; my comment was a reaction to your pompous suggestion that if I was "rich enough" I could afford  particular type, not to the cost of coatings in general.

No, you may not suggest what I comment on and I probably know a bit more about coatings than you.  You show a photo of an old, shiny car for some reason but you do know that ceramic coatings do not make the paintwork shiny, don't you?  The shine comes from the prepared paint underneath, nano coatings will not make crappy paint look good!. 

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

You seem to have little concept of the English language; my comment was a reaction to your pompous suggestion that if I was "rich enough" I could afford  particular type, not to the cost of coatings in general.

No, you may not suggest what I comment on and I probably know a bit more about coatings than you.  You show a photo of an old, shiny car for some reason but you do know that ceramic coatings do not make the paintwork shiny, don't you?  The shine comes from the prepared paint underneath, nano coatings will not make crappy paint look good!. 

Ah ...yes ...if you are rich enough was a generalisation.

Quite right preperation ...on that car I used one of Rupes DA's ... can't remember what pad ... just fiddled until the result looked okay.

I happen to know the cost of that Opti-Coat as I have a friend who is Opti-Coat certified ... enjoy