Foreign Currency Account (Bkk Bank)

I send over  £1000 from my Halifax bank account in the UK to my FCA with BBL  in Thailand in UK pound.

I understand that Halifax changes are £9.50 per transfer.

£1009.50 was take out of my Halifax account to cover the £1000 plus the fee of £9.50.

When the money transfer  reached by FCA here in Thailand there was only £985.

I call the Halifax in the UK, the Halifax told me the £15 was the 3rd party bank chargers that Halifax use for the transfer.

Halifax said they don't deal with BBL direct that they use a 3rd party bank.

The question I would like to ask is this normal ?.

I use transferwise normally to transfer money in Thai baht to BBL current account, transferwise  won't let me transfer UK pound in UK  pound to my FCA in Thailand.

6 hours ago, dayo202 said:

The question I would like to ask is this normal ?

It is fairly normal depending on the bank you use. Part of the problem in this instance is that Halifax is not a proper bank and so just uses other banks to do the work for them.

Ideally you should ask before initiating the transfer whether or not the funds will go direct and whether or not there will be any intermediary charges.

Of course you should not have to ask this, and for me it is indicative of a crap bank if they send money that way without letting you know and warning you first.

Edited by KittenKong

14 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

It is fairly normal depending on the bank you use. Part of the problem in this instance is that Halifax is not a proper bank and so just uses other banks to do the work for them.

Ideally you should ask before initiating the transfer whether or not the funds will go direct and whether or not there will be any intermediary charges.

Of course you should not have to ask this, and for me it is indicative of a crap bank if they send money that way without letting you know and warning you first.

Nationwide is the same, but their initial charge is GBP17. Transferwise is much better.

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Halifax said that its state's in the terms and conditions ie small print that's it may be addition costs.

Thanks for you input KittenKong 

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Nationwide is the same, but their initial charge is GBP17. Transferwise is much better.

I agree Tranferwise is the best, I always use then when I want to transfer thai baht from my UK bank.

As I said I want to transfer uk pound into my Thai FCA, tranferwise don't do that.

Cheers for you input 

11 hours ago, dayo202 said:

Halifax said that its state's in the terms and conditions ie small print that's it may be addition costs.

I dont think that's good enough.

They should tell you the total cost upfront before you decide to send the money. Anything less is a mixture of incompetence and deceit.