Paintwork protection - Chonburi/Rayong

3STTW

Hey,

I'm getting a new car next month and I want one of those new hi-tech nano coatings for the paint. Also, I want window film WITHOUT the distracting serial numbers.

Can anyone recommend a supplier in Chonburi or Rayong?

3STTW.

A much easier way to waste your money rather than spending it on a "nano coating" is to flush it down the toilet.  Cars these days already have "nano coatings", it's called lacquer or clear coat and its there to protect the paint.

The numbers on window film wipe off with a solvent.

8 hours ago, Just Weird said:

A much easier way to waste your money rather than spending it on a "nano coating" is to flush it down the toilet.  Cars these days already have "nano coatings", it's called lacquer or clear coat and its there to protect the paint.

The numbers on window film wipe off with a solvent.

You are correct about numbers on the window film...

OP do a search on window film, some good information amongst a lot of drivel ...Just consider carefully regarding the normally inferior film the dealer gives you...also same same for 'glass coating' ...  

There’s 2 at the ramp going into the highway leaving Pattaya, one is called works wrap I think

Always very very busy.

Couple of youngish Thai lads, good service.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

9 minutes ago, tonboy said:

I do not have any shares in the company, but they really have first class quality coating. Life time guarantee.
Deep colour, very shiny, very hard coating, and cleans easy.

The coating is coloured?

"Life time guarantee".

Amazing.  So you have it coated once and it never needs re-doing, yes, and if it does the company re-coats FOC? 

"Deep colour, very shiny, very hard coating, and cleans easy".

Wow, just like clear-coated paint that the factory applies and is included in the purchase price.

• 2 months later...
On 7/28/2018 at 1:08 PM, Just Weird said:

The coating is coloured?

"Life time guarantee".

Amazing.  So you have it coated once and it never needs re-doing, yes, and if it does the company re-coats FOC? 

"Deep colour, very shiny, very hard coating, and cleans easy".

Wow, just like clear-coated paint that the factory applies and is included in the purchase price.

coating is clear, it is really a glass coating.
Yes, they guarantee it for life. The buff the car first before applying the coating. Only yearly inspection which costs 2500 thb. 
No paint, glass coating. The glass coating protects the standard factory clear coating and paintlayers against uv light and therefore againt aging. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, tonboy said:

Yes, they guarantee it for life. The buff the car first before applying the coating. Only yearly inspection which costs 2500 thb. 
No paint, glass coating. The glass coating protects the standard factory clear coating and paintlayers against uv light and therefore againt aging. 

I just use a quality wax polish...Costs near nothing yearly...????

18 hours ago, tonboy said:

"The glass coating protects the standard factory clear coating and paintlayers against uv light and therefore againt aging". 

Really?  So why don't manufacturers use it if their paint is so bad that it needs "glass" coating and the "glass" coating is so effective?

"Yes, they guarantee it for life...Only yearly inspection which costs 2500 thb". 

That's not a lifetime guarantee, that a one year guarantee and anything after that has to be paid for, it's called a scam.

• Like 1

Don't bother. My last lump a Tuna I had that for 8.5 years was never coated or polished. But I did have a full hand valet every few weeks. When I sold it it still looked like new. Am doing the same with the new Tuna that's 20 months old now and you wont find a blemish.

Edited by fredob43

On 10/26/2018 at 1:39 PM, Just Weird said:

"The glass coating protects the standard factory clear coating and paintlayers against uv light and therefore againt aging". 

Really?  So why don't manufacturers use it if their paint is so bad that it needs "glass" coating and the "glass" coating is so effective?

"Yes, they guarantee it for life...Only yearly inspection which costs 2500 thb". 

That's not a lifetime guarantee, that a one year guarantee and anything after that has to be paid for, it's called a scam.

Have you seen the paint on cars in Thailand nowadays? after 10 years max most of them loose the top coating. Why do you think most of the car-manufacturers in thailand only guarantee the coating for 3 years ? Yes, mainly due to environmental reasons paint is very bad quality nowadays.

This ceramic coating is very labour intensive. And car manufacturers do not like that. Below is exactly the answer I would give myself but have now copied it from another website :
---------------------------

Your car, as delivered, would need several days worth of paint correction before it was ready for a ceramic coating. This is true whether you bought a Kia or a Ferrari. Porsche and BMW are notorious for delivering cars with the paint in terrible condition. Mineral deposits, micro scratches, swirls in the paint - everything short of actual damage like chipping and deep scratches.

The process for a brand new car is -

• Wash and rinse
  • Remove iron deposits
  • Wash and rinse
  • Clay the paint
  • Wash and rinse
  • Examine and test the thickness of the paint
  • Polish the car (see picture)
  • Wash and rinse
  • Rehydrate the paint
  • Wash and rinse
  • Apply protective coatings

I’m sure high end dealers would be willing to do this, and then apply ceramic coating. It would probably cost about $5,000.

But simply applying a ceramic coating to a car straight from the factory would make it harder, maybe impossible, to correct the paint. All that damage would become part of the car for 3 to 5 years, which is bad for resale value.
--------------------------------

So, what is the result? well, try to clean the outside of your car in 15 minutes. I can ! And I do not have to polish it or wax it to get it shiny again. See first picture. I am very happy with the result. 

The yearly inspection is to make sure the coating is not compromised due to external factors like damages of other cars , shopping cars or something like that. You probably have 3 years guarantee on your car for mechanical problems, but do you not have to go every year of 15k km to the dealer for service ? 

45219422_10215480296714319_5833683177113124864_o.jpg

8146397279484.jpg

16 hours ago, tonboy said:

Have you seen the paint on cars in Thailand nowadays? after 10 years max most of them loose the top coating. Why do you think most of the car-manufacturers in thailand only guarantee the coating for 3 years ? Yes, mainly due to environmental reasons paint is very bad quality nowadays.

This ceramic coating is very labour intensive. And car manufacturers do not like that.

"Have you seen the paint on cars in Thailand nowadays? after 10 years max most of them loose the top coating. Why do you think most of the car-manufacturers in thailand only guarantee the coating for 3 years ? Yes, mainly due to environmental reasons paint is very bad quality nowadays".

Nonsense, most modern cars' paint does not lose it's clear coat after just 10 years, even in sunlight intensive places such as Thailand.

"This ceramic coating is very labour intensive. And car manufacturers do not like that".

Nonsense, that's nothing to do with the main reason that manufacturers do not apply any "extra coatings".  That reason why it is not done at the factory is because it is not necessary.  Modern paints, anything from the 20 or more years ago right up to now, will last for decades without losing the factory clearcoat if looked after normally.

8 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Cars these days already have "nano coatings", it's called lacquer or clear coat and its there to protect the paint.
And later you say abou my remarks .
....... Nonsense, ...... Nonsense

I have 40 years experience in the automotive branch. I have extensively worked on cars ranging from 1920 till 2016. Not only on mechanical issues but also on bodywork. I do know what I am talking about. Clearly you don't. 

And that's all folks, I just started telling what I think about ceramic coating and the protection it offers. That's enough.

Edited by tonboy

10 hours ago, tonboy said:

I have 40 years experience in the automotive branch. I have extensively worked on cars ranging from 1920 till 2016. Not only on mechanical issues but also on bodywork. I do know what I am talking about. Clearly you don't. 

And that's all folks, I just started telling what I think about ceramic coating and the protection it offers. That's enough.

If only You could have talked to my Dear Old Dad.Must have Stainless  Steel Exhaust and that Paint Coatin Stuff..... he changed Car every 3 years.! Then  got a lecture about wasting money on wide wheels n bean can exhaust pipes.

17 hours ago, tonboy said:

"...I just started telling what I think about ceramic coating..."

Exactly, it's just what you dogmatically think, not what is true. 

20 hours ago, tonboy said:

So, where is your "proof" ? 

Where is my proof of what?  If you mean proof that paint finishes on cars doesn't destroy itself as you suggest it will after 10 years just take a look around you and you will see well-preserved paint on most cars 20-odd years old, even here in Thailand with the sun beating down on them every day.

6 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Where is my proof of what?  If you mean proof that paint finishes on cars doesn't destroy itself as you suggest it will after 10 years just take a look around you and you will see well-preserved paint on most cars 20-odd years old, even here in Thailand with the sun beating down on them every day.

The proof that Ceramic coating has no advantages. 
Your opinion of quality clearly is different to mine. 

Just take a look at factory paint. Car-manufacturers save money on paint and labour by putting on as thin layers as possible, then baking the painted body very quick at 400 degrees fahrenheit or so. The paint will not flow, therefore causing orangepeel skin. You can always see if a car is repaired, official car-repair-shops have an oven to bake the new paint slowly for 2 hours or so, at around 140 degrees fahrenheit. The paint will flow and create a smooth finish.
Toyota claims as follows : "Allowing a layer of dead bugs, bird droppings, dirt and chemicals to accumulate on your vehicle can strip away wax and eventually paint. If you decide to wash your car yourself, don’t use household cleaning agents like hand soap, dishwashing detergent or glass cleaner, which can also strip off the protective wax. Use a product designed specifically for cars"
So, wax is used to protect the paint of the car. But wax is temporary, after 1/2 year you should apply a new layer of wax. Toyota states "
Polishing and waxing is recommended to maintain the original beauty of your Toyota’s finish."

Now, when applying a ceramic coating the car is first buffed, so much of the standard orangepeel and small scratches are removed, inclusing the wax layer. After this the car is treated with the ceramic coating. And as you will understand by now (hopefully) this coating is so hard, it will protect the paint from dead bugs, bird droppings, dirt and chemicals. Just washing removes these and brings back the shine.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tonboy said:

The proof that Ceramic coating has no advantages. 
Your opinion of quality clearly is different to mine. 

Just take a look at factory paint. Car-manufacturers save money on paint and labour by putting on as thin layers as possible, then baking the painted body very quick at 400 degrees fahrenheit or so. The paint will not flow, therefore causing orangepeel skin. You can always see if a car is repaired, official car-repair-shops have an oven to bake the new paint slowly for 2 hours or so, at around 140 degrees fahrenheit. The paint will flow and create a smooth finish.
Toyota claims as follows : "Allowing a layer of dead bugs, bird droppings, dirt and chemicals to accumulate on your vehicle can strip away wax and eventually paint. If you decide to wash your car yourself, don’t use household cleaning agents like hand soap, dishwashing detergent or glass cleaner, which can also strip off the protective wax. Use a product designed specifically for cars"
So, wax is used to protect the paint of the car. But wax is temporary, after 1/2 year you should apply a new layer of wax. Toyota states "
Polishing and waxing is recommended to maintain the original beauty of your Toyota’s finish."

Now, when applying a ceramic coating the car is first buffed, so much of the standard orangepeel and small scratches are removed, inclusing the wax layer. After this the car is treated with the ceramic coating. And as you will understand by now (hopefully) this coating is so hard, it will protect the paint from dead bugs, bird droppings, dirt and chemicals. Just washing removes these and brings back the shine.

Yes and No ... when 'polishing' swirls are removed but not all the orange peel unless you ask for it to be done and that increases the price somewhat. Some ceramics are better than others at protecting the clear coat. Some clear coats are soft (eg Honda) and some are much harder.

The clear coat, on the bonnet near the windscreen, on my wife Civic was badly attacked by a bird dropping when it was brand new... very unfortunately we didn't notice the dropping and drove back from Kanchanaburi on a very hot day. It wasn't until the next day that I notice it... soaked it with wet tissue paper for some while and then wiped it off ...wow I was surprised at the damage.

I took the car to a detailing friend who said that was the worst clear coat damage he had ever seen from a bird dropping ... so decided to let him sort it out. Decided to have all the orange peel removed and then have Opti coat Paint Guard applied, he is an authorised opti coat 'whatever'. That was over a year ago now.

I never got around to picking up Hyperseal from him so over the year got quite some watermarks on the surface even though I mainly dry washed it using ONR. Took it back to him a couple of weeks ago and he removed them ... said you did well ...no swirls ...  but please apply Hyperseal  once a month, so I now have some! ...I don't even let Honda wash it at Service....

My preference would have been to apply ECO 7000 which in the past I have bought direct from Crystal Process Company in Japan and applied it myself after getting another friend to polish first. That stuff is very hard ... You can use Si-700 on it every few weeks as a maintenance. But I went his way and it did look nice after and is still mark free.

Seems many want the 'wet look' more than protection in which case a different final pad is normally used and maybe a different choice of coating.

I remain convinced that a ceramic coating will help protect the clear coat, but not so convinced that it doesn't need maintenance or that it will sheet like when it was first applied ... months later .... it won't!! Well maybe if you use Opti Coat Pro but that comes out at about 25K thb before you start the preparation process ...................... I turned the offer of that down!

51 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Well maybe if you use Opti Coat Pro but that comes out at about 25K thb before you start the preparation process ...................... I turned the offer of that down!

Yep, sounds like CeramicPro. The coating on my car did cost 25.000 thb. Both products that are very similar.
In price as well as in resistance. 

11 hours ago, tonboy said:

Yep, sounds like CeramicPro. The coating on my car did cost 25.000 thb. Both products that are very similar.
In price as well as in resistance. 

OK ... i knew that there was a difference but ... just for you ... I ask my friend who not only owns a detailing shop but also franchised out. But bear in mind that he is Opti-Coat.  his reply is below ...

Ceramic Pro is SiO2 base coating with resin as hardener also some chemical to act as hydrophobic matter, while Opticoat Pro is SiC. Cermic Pro will layer itself over the clear coat, while Opticoat Pro substance would mostly penetrate into Clear coat and change chemical substance of clear coat.

Opticoat Pro is the similar technology using in BMW series 7 or Mercedes S class ceramic clear coat, it's become permanent with clear coat.

SiO2 have 7H hardness rating in Mohs scale while SiC is 9H.

Also, all coating in this world need maintenance, because it's depend on how owner take care of it.  Also, even with coating, contaminant will still occurs and need to be removed.

In case you don't know SIC is Silicon Carbide.

The 25K thb he offered me was just the cost of the product ... preparation extra. He also has a building attached to his house where he sometimes works from ... out toward Sri Racha area.

I hope this little bit of info is useful .................... and correct .................. and don't believe everything that you see on Youtube either ............... LOL

Edited by JAS21
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/5/2018 at 8:19 AM, HAKAPALITA said:

What Cars are you referring too. I read  your posting history, and you have 3.

My Toyota Crown 1972. 
But in Holland I had a Opel Omega 1996, fully restored, also with ceramic coating from CeramicPro. the only difference there was, this treament cost me in Holland more than 2500 euro.

IMG_20160806_1410425.jpg

IMG_20160806_1411096.jpg

58538.jpg

2 minutes ago, tonboy said:

My Toyota Crown 1972. 
But in Holland I had a Opel Omega 1996, fully restored, also with ceramic coating from CeramicPro. the only difference there was, this treament cost me in Holland more than 2500 euro.

IMG_20160806_1410425.jpg

IMG_20160806_1411096.jpg

58538.jpg

Did you have the Toyota done in matt finish..?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, transam said:

Did you have the Toyota done in matt finish..?

first 2 pictures are an Opel Omega, Yes, done in high gloss midnight blue + special paint matt clearcoat. and afterwards the glass coating
The Toyota Crown (last picture) in high gloss enamel car paint and afterwards the CeramicPro coating