The case for banning trans fats

webfact

The case for banning trans fats

By The Nation

images.jpg

Thailand’s decision counters a loophole in US legislation that gives American food producers time to offload stocks

The Public Health Ministry’s latest decision to ban starting in January the import of trans fats produced with partially hydrogenated oils and commonly used as ingredients in food products will elevate food safety standards to a new level.

Scientific evidence has shown that the so-called trans fats contribute to heart, coronary and other diseases, prompting the United States Food and Drug Administration to bar companies there from using trans fats in food products beginning this past June 18.

However, US authorities are allowing food products manufactured before that date to be sold in markets until January 1, 2020, making it possible for US firms to export these products to other countries for another year and a half.

The Thai Health Ministry issued its order on June 13 and it was published in the Royal Gazette in July, effectively making the ban plan official. As a result, the order set to be effective 180 days afterwards will ban on all imports of these items in January. It is also likely there will be promotional campaigns and heavy discounts on these items in the Thai market as US manufacturers clear their inventory in the wake of the US FDA ban on the use of trans fats in food production.

Thailand’s response clearly will help protect  consumers here who could be negatively affected by the influx of imported food products that have trans fats as an ingredient. In fact, Thailand – a major producer of natural edible oils such as palm and coconut oils – is not significantly affected by the outlawing of trans fats in partially hydrogenated oils (PHOs), since the country has an abundant domestic supply of natural edible oils.

These oils can be used to produce varieties of food ingredients that are healthy and need not use other edible oils containing unsaturated fat.

The decision to bar trans fats and food products containing them from entering the country will help create greater awareness among consumers and in the food industry, which needs to be more responsive to consumer-health issues, especially with regard to the nutritional information presented on food product labels.

PHOs were created by scientists more than five decades ago and touted as a healthier alternative to animal fats, a claim that turned out to be invalid. However, certain qualities of PHOs were favourable for various applications in the food industry, especially for fried and baked items and artificial creams and butter, but the negative consequences for health have lately become obvious, resulting in the US FDA decision to ban their use in the food industry.

The World Health Organisation has also campaigned for member countries to reduce the use of PHOs in food products due to scientific evidence, when consumed in large amounts, they can lead to an increase of “bad” (LDL) cholesterol. This is a significant cause of heart, coronary and other ailments throughout the developed and developing world, whose urban populations have become increasingly dependent on processed food due to lifestyle demands.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/opinion/30350927

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-07-27

Wow.  I wonder how Grandma Taylor and others family members in North Carolina were able to make it almost to 90 when Cisco is simply a given when making biscuits or frying up chicken.  Maybe the molasses and collard greens offset those transfats?  :smile:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Sugar is worse than alcohol. Trans fats are also horrible, but Thailand has a FAR larger issue in all the sugar Thai put in everything.

Rubbish, sugar is fuel for active bodies. Though refined sugar should be avoided. A high carb low fat diet is ideal for active sporty people. If you are a sedentary person, eat a lot less of everything, you don't need it. Fruit, vegetables, grains, pasta, brown and black rice, are all good. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, missoura said:

My great-grandmother ate a fried egg cooked in bacon grease almost every day for 93 years. Fried chicken was on the table weekly and pies or cakes were usually cooling.  My grandmother followed in her footsteps and lived to be 92.

Neither one attended high school and yet they were both smart. Me, not so much.

First, I had to figure out all of this cooking oil confusion. Back in the early 1900s, a German scientist took Hydrogen and mixed it with vegetable oil. Obviously, he was either hungry or bored. A few years later Procter & Gamble in America bought the patent rights and Crisco shortening was created about the same time my great-grandmother was a newlywed.  And that is what my grandparents used for years.

In today’s world scientists keep reminding me that trans-fat raises my LDL (bad) cholesterol and lowers my HDL (good) cholesterol. The experts say that a diet laden with trans-fat increases the risk of heart disease, the leading killer of men and women. It might be true. It was explained to me as a young boy attending my great-grandmother’s funeral that her heart had given out.

I had visited my grandmother a few months before she died. During one of our conversations she said “I have lived to long”. My hope is to have the longevity she enjoyed. I need to eat healthier.

Deep-fried Thai vegetables is a start…

hot oil.JPG

For me it isn't the cholesterol that is the issue (in fact cholesterol is crucial to health, in the right amounts) it is more the carcinogenic free radicals created when heating up certain fats. Cooking with polyunsaturated vegetable oils and canola oils causes free radicals to form. These oils are unstable and contain fragile omega-3s that become free radicals from the heat.

Polyunsaturated oils are only healthy when eaten in their natural form – like nuts, seeds, whole grains, and fish. These processed oils should NEVER be heated or used for cooking.
Trans-fat based oils are even worse. 
I personally always cook with coconut oil, double virgin cold pressed oil.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I go with the theory that oxygen is the main killer but it takes anything between say 70 and 90 + years to take effect.

Even though you're joking, you're kind of right.. 

'Fat or oil oxidation is a series of chemical reactions involving oxygen that leads the degradation of fats, producing a series of breakdown products including; peroxides, free fatty acids, aldehydes, and carbonyls. Oxidation occurs at different rates in fats depending upon the temperature, moisture level, availability of oxygen, and the presence of metals (e.g iron). The type of fat also effects the rate at which oxidation occurs. Highly polyunsaturated fats are liquid at room temperature – they oxidise more rapidly as they have highly reactive double carbon bonds. Saturated fats are solid at room temperature and are less easily oxidised as they do not have these carbon-carbon double bonds.

Because of their structure polyunsaturated fats such as olive oil, rapeseed oil, and vegetable oil are the most unstable and are prone to oxidation. This means that if you choose to eat them you must pay particular attention to their exposure to air, light, and heat. They have a low smoke point; the point at which the oil starts to burn and break down. This is the point at which the oil basically becomes rancid and oxidation is rife.

Before you consider their exposure to these components in your own home we need to take a look at where they came from and how they’ve been processed in order to obtain them. Refined polyunsaturated oils (fats) like olive oil, rapeseed oil, and vegetable oils (canola, sunflower, corn, and soy) are heavily processed using high temperatures and bleaching methods making them more likely to have a higher level of oxidation before you even start using them. Right off the bat this means that you should avoid these heavily processed oils in your cooking and baking.'

7 minutes ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

Even though you're joking, you're kind of right.. 

'Fat or oil oxidation is a series of chemical reactions involving oxygen that leads the degradation of fats, producing a series of breakdown products including; peroxides, free fatty acids, aldehydes, and carbonyls. Oxidation occurs at different rates in fats depending upon the temperature, moisture level, availability of oxygen, and the presence of metals (e.g iron). The type of fat also effects the rate at which oxidation occurs. Highly polyunsaturated fats are liquid at room temperature – they oxidise more rapidly as they have highly reactive double carbon bonds. Saturated fats are solid at room temperature and are less easily oxidised as they do not have these carbon-carbon double bonds.

Because of their structure polyunsaturated fats such as olive oil, rapeseed oil, and vegetable oil are the most unstable and are prone to oxidation. This means that if you choose to eat them you must pay particular attention to their exposure to air, light, and heat. They have a low smoke point; the point at which the oil starts to burn and break down. This is the point at which the oil basically becomes rancid and oxidation is rife.

Before you consider their exposure to these components in your own home we need to take a look at where they came from and how they’ve been processed in order to obtain them. Refined polyunsaturated oils (fats) like olive oil, rapeseed oil, and vegetable oils (canola, sunflower, corn, and soy) are heavily processed using high temperatures and bleaching methods making them more likely to have a higher level of oxidation before you even start using them. Right off the bat this means that you should avoid these heavily processed oils in your cooking and baking.'

Rape seed oil is now being cold processed in the uk.

Olive oil has been for a while in many areas.

21 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Rape seed oil is now being cold processed in the uk.

Olive oil has been for a while in many areas.

But then it is heated in cooking, it's still harmful due to the type of fat that it contains. Coconut oil is the best fat to cook with in terms of next to none free radicals, followed by lard, butter and ghee. 

2 minutes ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

But then it is heated in cooking, it's still harmful due to the type of fat that it contains. Coconut oil is the best fat to cook with in terms of next to none free radicals, followed by lard, butter and ghee. 

Olive oil I generally use for salads or to make my own mayo'.

28 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Olive oil I generally use for salads or to make my own mayo'.

Yeah I use olive oil to dress a lot of my food, mainly because I need a caloric surplus as I am bulking right now and have a stupidly fast metabolism. Olive oil is really healthy, until you heat it up and cook with it 

Just look at your workrate if your in your seventies, then the 20 somethings around You.Yeh a few have the same work ethic, but very few.We grabbed at any old rubbish, but burned it off in hours

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

25 minutes ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

Yeah I use olive oil to dress a lot of my food, mainly because I need a caloric surplus as I am bulking right now and have a stupidly fast metabolism. Olive oil is really healthy, until you heat it up and cook with it 

If you've got one of these find a jar just slight bigger in diameter stick two egg yolks in ( room temp ) add a cup of oil stick in the 'stick blender' push the button and raise it slowly, 3 to 4 secs. FRESH MAYO' add a bit of time juice little bit of salt and or crushed garlic.

Beats bought mayo hands down, especially the 15% sugar added stuff you get here.

??

images (1).jpeg

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

If you've got one of these find a jar just slight bigger in diameter stick two egg yolks in ( room temp ) add a cup of oil stick in the 'stick blender' push the button and raise it slowly, 3 to 4 secs. FRESH MAYO' add a bit of time juice little bit of salt and or crushed garlic.

Beats bought mayo hands down, especially the 15% sugar added stuff you get here.

??

images (1).jpeg

Yeah there are tons of chemicals of added BS in much of is at the super market, sauces are one o the worst. I don't really use sauces much anymore, not the saucy guy I used to be lol. But thanks for the tip. I once ate an entire jar of Mayo as a dare back in the day, it put me on the floor for a good hour .. 

4 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Sugar is worse than alcohol. Trans fats are also horrible, but Thailand has a FAR larger issue in all the sugar Thai put in everything.

What a pile of crap in this video...

I think this whole thing is a mistake.. After a particularly bad Morning-After the self-declared PM decided to issue a ban for trans fats to avoid ending up being intimate with a plus size ladyboy again, but the dumbos at the health ministry mistook it to mean oil.

6 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Rubbish, sugar is fuel for active bodies. Though refined sugar should be avoided. A high carb low fat diet is ideal for active sporty people. If you are a sedentary person, eat a lot less of everything, you don't need it. Fruit, vegetables, grains, pasta, brown and black rice, are all good. 

Rubbish. See? I can do that, too. 

You are arguing with hundreds of prominent scientists, not with me.

Cheers

23 hours ago, connda said:

Wow.  I wonder how Grandma Taylor and others family members in North Carolina were able to make it almost to 90 when Cisco is simply a given when making biscuits or frying up chicken.  Maybe the molasses and collard greens offset those transfats?  :smile:

You cannot use one particular person as an example. Everybody knows some one who smoked forty a day and lived to be a hundred and thirty. The average age of dying for the whole population has to be taken and adjusted for various lifestyles. Only then can you see what is happening.

• Like 1