New speed cameras being tested

Buffy Frobisher

9 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

In my opinion this will only be effective if it hurts the bank account. Sending paper and not forcefully collect fines (from the Thais) will be a waste of time. Most foreigners would pay I assume.

They won't pay the fine(s) unless they are forced to pay. 

Perhaps the database should accumulate unpaid fines and when the count is 5 start action for 30 days jail for contempt of the legal process.

Or do a quick check to establish the name of the employer and start the salary garnishee process.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, KhunAussie52 said:

What is the speed limit on the expressway?

To my surprise I find that within the city limits it's only 80 km/h.

Outside it's 110 km/h.

Information is from an article in khaosod (Thai language, April 2018) about speed cameras on expressways.

From own experience I know that speed limit is signalized by illuminated displays and I remember seeing "80" often.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

thailand is now the same as most countries, if you read what happens if you do not pay the fine sent in the mail, you will be unable to pay the tax, registration and third party insurance  when renewing, and your licence may be cancelled , resulting in more fines, and they are checking, most road blocks are checking this, soon they will have computers at the road blocks, they are catching up fast!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is one respect in which I will say that the Thai authorities are at long last catching up with the rest of the world. Western countries discovered long ago that there is a shit load of money to be gained from speed and red light cameras and it is encouraging finally to hear that speed cameras and red light cameras are at last coming to Thailand's roads in numbers.

In my own country Australia, I have decried speed cameras as being primarily money based with a side benefit to road safety. However, if ever there were a country that needs to start enforcing speed limits with speed cameras, it is undoubtedly Thailand. We all know that driving in Thailand is lethal, especially for those who ride motor-cycles. Something like 33,000 deaths a year on Thailand's roads and 74 per cent of those deaths happen to MC riders and pillions - these are close to the true statistics, not the fudged numbers provided by Thai authorities to hide the true scale of the problem. So many violent deaths each year on Thailand's roads should be a national disgrace but, it appears to me that until recently with the introduction of speed cameras etc, the relevant Thai authorities simply couldn't give the tiniest shit about road safety.

Roll on speed cameras all over Thailand but, for God's sake, hit the maniac Thais in their pickups and SUVs where they'll really feel it. In their bloody wallets and seriously enforce collection of fines. And make the fines significant - 1000 baht for a first offence, 5000 for a second inside 12 months, 15000 and cancellation of licence for a third in 12 months. And how about introducing the 12 points system that's so common in the Western world? The Thai road safety authorities need to be serious about this because the death toll on Thailand's roads is disgraceful.

Reduce speeding in Thailand through proper enforcement and I would predict a 60 per cent reduction in road deaths in Thailand almost immediately.

However, there is a problem. When speed and red light cameras become commonplace in Thailand, Thai drivers will do the following:

1 they will take the number plates off the front and or the backs of their vehicles so they can't be identified - a fine for missing licence plates may be small compared to speeding fines, or

2  Thai drivers will routinely lie about their not having been the driver of the vehicle at the time an offence occurred.

How to handle this?  Hmmmmmmm?

Finally, I am a very different driver in Thailand to the driver that I was when I lived in Australia and the driver I am when I go back to Australia on holiday. I am a "brisk" driver in Australia. In Thailand I am very very wary, rarely going over any posted speed limits. And, by the way, why are there so few posted speed limits in Thailand. In Australia, on'e rarely in any doubt about a speed limit at a particular place. In Thailand, It's quite difficult to know what speed I should not exceed when there are so few speed limit signs about.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Anybody have any recommendations for a locally available radar detector? I had a look at Lazada and they have several listed. Most look like some kind of cheap Chinese knockoffs. They do have a listing from an overseas seller for a "Cobra XRS-9880". Googling that, I found a listing for it on Amazon with a bunch of one star ratings stating that it is a Chinese or Russian fake not made by Cobra. 

• Like 1

Radar detectors will become more available in Thailand I'm sure. But, as in many Western countries, I would predict they'll be made illegal to own soon after with life in prison or death by lethal injection sentences for possession of one soon to follow.  Such is the civilized country in which we live.
You heard about the 100,000 baht fine and a year in gaol for smoking on a beach?

Edited by Weasel100
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, dotpoom said:

"Take care out there"....sure. Like what the authorities are trying to do to take care of responsible road users against the "speed" freaks.

It is not just the speed freaks, they also need to do something about the lane hoggers, lot of tea money for the cops if they get off their bahookies and do some work.

2 hours ago, stropper said:

thailand is now the same as most countries, if you read what happens if you do not pay the fine sent in the mail, you will be unable to pay the tax, registration and third party insurance  when renewing, and your licence may be cancelled , resulting in more fines, and they are checking, most road blocks are checking this, soon they will have computers at the road blocks, they are catching up fast!

The last time I was stopped at a road  block the cop couldnt even get my Thai license expiry date right....wanted to fine me for expired license saying it expired that day....wife had to explain we just picked it up.....it was the issue date he was looking at!!!  

Now how is a meat-head like that going to check my unpaid fines on a computer??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bubba said:

Anybody have any recommendations for a locally available radar detector? I had a look at Lazada and they have several listed. Most look like some kind of cheap Chinese knockoffs. They do have a listing from an overseas seller for a "Cobra XRS-9880". Googling that, I found a listing for it on Amazon with a bunch of one star ratings stating that it is a Chinese or Russian fake not made by Cobra. 

hello, also interested, can you tell me when you find something good ? thanks.

1 hour ago, ThaiFelix said:

The last time I was stopped at a road  block the cop couldnt even get my Thai license expiry date right....wanted to fine me for expired license saying it expired that day....wife had to explain we just picked it up.....it was the issue date he was looking at!!!  

Now how is a meat-head like that going to check my unpaid fines on a computer??

He won't need to worry about getting it "right".

He'll just shoot you on the spot.      ?

2 hours ago, goegoe said:

hello, also interested, can you tell me when you find something good ? thanks.

If you want top quality radar detectors, Google beltronics radar detectors, don't know if there available here in Los, plenty available in Australia, usually first choice for overnight truckies in Australia, even though there illegal in Oz, plenty of guys still using them. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bubba said:

There are several cell android phone apps that provide me with radar positions.

• Like 1

The airport to Pattaya motorway is very confusing regarding what is the actual speed limit. There are at least 5 different types of signage with a whole range of differing speed limits. New ones have now allocated speeds to lanes. There’s even ones showing what your speed is - but I really don’t think it’s accurate and not out by a few km/hr, but 10-15 km/hr out.

> 120 seems to be what the speed cameras are set to - but it’s anyomes guess. It’s fine they want to introduce speed cameras, but they’re going to have to make the limits a lot easier to understand. Not too mention are they targeting black spots or just generating revenue.

Edited by ncc1701d
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ncc1701d said:

The airport to Pattaya motorway is very confusing regarding what is the actual speed limit. There are at least 5 different types of signage with a whole range of differing speed limits. New ones have now allocated speeds to lanes. There’s even ones showing what your speed is - but I really don’t think it’s accurate and not out by a few km/hr, but 10-15 km/hr out.

> 120 seems to be what the speed cameras are set to - but it’s anyomes guess. It’s fine they want to introduce speed cameras, but they’re going to have to make the limits a lot easier to understand. Not too mention are they targeting black spots or just generating revenue.

I think they are targeting white spots (as in falang) it seems Thais don't bother paying, or even having the all incriminating number plates fitted!

On 7/29/2018 at 9:55 AM, ncc1701d said:

Totally true ! They manage road signage just like they manage their lives. It's messy and stupid.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 7/28/2018 at 12:07 PM, Weasel100 said:

This is one respect in which I will say that the Thai authorities are at long last catching up with the rest of the world. Western countries discovered long ago that there is a shit load of money to be gained from speed and red light cameras and it is encouraging finally to hear that speed cameras and red light cameras are at last coming to Thailand's roads in numbers.

In my own country Australia, I have decried speed cameras as being primarily money based with a side benefit to road safety. However, if ever there were a country that needs to start enforcing speed limits with speed cameras, it is undoubtedly Thailand. We all know that driving in Thailand is lethal, especially for those who ride motor-cycles. Something like 33,000 deaths a year on Thailand's roads and 74 per cent of those deaths happen to MC riders and pillions - these are close to the true statistics, not the fudged numbers provided by Thai authorities to hide the true scale of the problem. So many violent deaths each year on Thailand's roads should be a national disgrace but, it appears to me that until recently with the introduction of speed cameras etc, the relevant Thai authorities simply couldn't give the tiniest shit about road safety.

Roll on speed cameras all over Thailand but, for God's sake, hit the maniac Thais in their pickups and SUVs where they'll really feel it. In their bloody wallets and seriously enforce collection of fines. And make the fines significant - 1000 baht for a first offence, 5000 for a second inside 12 months, 15000 and cancellation of licence for a third in 12 months. And how about introducing the 12 points system that's so common in the Western world? The Thai road safety authorities need to be serious about this because the death toll on Thailand's roads is disgraceful.

Reduce speeding in Thailand through proper enforcement and I would predict a 60 per cent reduction in road deaths in Thailand almost immediately.

However, there is a problem. When speed and red light cameras become commonplace in Thailand, Thai drivers will do the following:

1 they will take the number plates off the front and or the backs of their vehicles so they can't be identified - a fine for missing licence plates may be small compared to speeding fines, or

2  Thai drivers will routinely lie about their not having been the driver of the vehicle at the time an offence occurred.

How to handle this?  Hmmmmmmm?

Finally, I am a very different driver in Thailand to the driver that I was when I lived in Australia and the driver I am when I go back to Australia on holiday. I am a "brisk" driver in Australia. In Thailand I am very very wary, rarely going over any posted speed limits. And, by the way, why are there so few posted speed limits in Thailand. In Australia, on'e rarely in any doubt about a speed limit at a particular place. In Thailand, It's quite difficult to know what speed I should not exceed when there are so few speed limit signs about.

Good points.

IMHO a solid part of the answer is whatever is a very strong deterrent.

Simple example, when they introduced compulsory motorcycle helmets (all on the bike) in Vietnam it came with a very strong deterrent - get caught and you get fined plus the motorcycle is confiscated on the spot never to be returned.

Plus many warnings there would be no grace period, and it was applied from day one and It worked.

So is part of the answer to devise some strong deterrents?

• Like 1