What's your cost of living here in Thailand?

dallen52

5 minutes ago, David Walden said:

Can't do any better then my doggie post...sorry.

Who knows? Before the internet and the advent of websites like this, if you wanted to tell someone at length how wonderful your life is, you'd have to pay a psychotherapist.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, balo said:

Is it possible to find a woman under 30 who is not asking for money or are happy with 5k pocket money  per month ? Who want to live with a farang over 50 ? I don't think so. Cambodia maybe, not here

Laos, possible.

Pama, possible.

Will change soon though.

2 hours ago, balo said:

Is it possible to find a woman under 30 who is not asking for money or are happy with 5k pocket money  per month ? Who want to live with a farang over 50 ? I don't think so. Cambodia maybe, not here

Laos, possible.

Pama, possible.

Will change soon though.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Who knows? Before the internet and the advent of websites like this, if you wanted to tell someone at length how wonderful your life is, you'd have to pay a psychotherapist.

I would have listened for free beer, but probably wouldn't be in a state to answer questions later.

2 hours ago, JLCrab said:

Sorry, but;

(this is a comment somewhat off topic, but cannot resist, pardon me,

systems/sites like this were available many many years before the internet  became available to everyone)

(I started using software like this in the late 1970s, partly in Europe and partly in the US.)

(and, the software I used in the late 70s and through the 80s was way way way more sophisticated and advanced  than what is available today)

• Confused 2

32 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

Sorry, but;

(this is a comment somewhat off topic, but cannot resist, pardon me,

systems/sites like this were available many many years before the internet  became available to everyone)

(I started using software like this in the late 1970s, partly in Europe and partly in the US.)

(and, the software I used in the late 70s and through the 80s was way way way more sophisticated and advanced  than what is available today)

I also couldn't resist. I think the comment was about the mainstream availability of Internet social media sites, not what some computer geeks got up to 20 years earlier. Early 2000's was the beginning for most normal folk. YouTube only came online in 2005 and Facebook around the same time. In the 70's and 80's, and even for most of the 90's most people would have to write letters and post them or make expensive phone calls.

24 minutes ago, BuckleUp said:

About 200,000/month. Sushi and salmon is expensive here.

Why not knock yourself out once or twice a month with a sushi buffet. Oishi does a great job at about 600 baht per head.

2 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

I started using software like this in the late 1970s, partly in Europe and partly in the US.)

Not sure what your point is here. 

I also played with computers in the late 70's and early 80's , but to call the software sophisticated compared with today , you're stretching it LOL . 

I did program some simple lines , using the programming language available . ANd I did connect my computer with CP/M operating system to a telephone line in early 1980's  and transfered files for the first time.   But there was not much you could do with it , only small text files. 

All that changed when Apple and Microsoft came up with their systems. 

I sent my first scanned picture through a BBS around 1985.   

Edited by balo

21 hours ago, tropo said:

I also couldn't resist. I think the comment was about the mainstream availability of Internet social media sites, not what some computer geeks got up to 20 years earlier. Early 2000's was the beginning for most normal folk. YouTube only came online in 2005 and Facebook around the same time. In the 70's and 80's, and even for most of the 90's most people would have to write letters and post them or make expensive phone calls.

I understand your point.

But your comment re computer geeks is way way off.

The systems I used in the US were to a large extent geared towards sharing research - social sciences dominated.

The best systems I used in Europe were geared towards bridging the physical distance between researchers,

no - not research in computer science.

Lots of people have the weird idea that software like this is something that came with the internet, quite wrong.

This kind of software started to surface in the early 70s, reaching reasonable quality and usefulness mid-late 70s.

(and; the quality and user friendliness and capabilities of the software I used in 70s and 80s and early 90s  was way superior to

these forums that crap down computers today - I changed my work orientation about 1990 and don't really know what became of

the software I used, but I miss it)

Edited by melvinmelvin

4 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

I understand your point.

But your comment re computer geeks is way way off.

The systems I used in the US were to a large extent geared towards sharing research - social sciences dominated.

The best systems I used in Europe were geared towards bridging the physical distance between researchers,

no - not research in computer science.

Lots of people have the weird idea that software like this is something that came with the internet, quite wrong.

This kind of software started to surface in the early 70s, reaching reasonable quality and usefulness mid-late 70s.

(and; the quality and user friendliness and capabilities of the software I used in 70s and 80s and early 90s  was way superior to

these forums that crap down computers today - I changed my work orientation about 1990 and don't really know what became of

the software I used, but I miss it)

Allow me to elaborate on the phrase I used (computer geeks). In the early days, only the people who knew about computers and their inner workings used them. Nowadays they are like cars. Most people get in and drive them without a thought of what happens under the hood. I know, Microsoft Windows has made the going tough and some of us that started in the Windows 3.1 days know a bit more about computers than we'd like to, as we had no choice. We often spent more time fixing them than using them LOL.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2018 at 3:08 AM, BritManToo said:

I cook all my own food at home, drink all my beer at home, and all my entertainment comes over the internet for 631bht/month (Movies, TV shows, Books, Music, social interactions)

Without any bars, restaurants, street food, coffee shops, What else do you spend money on?

But why be here?

10 minutes ago, The manic said:
On 7/29/2018 at 9:08 AM, BritManToo said:

I cook all my own food at home, drink all my beer at home, and all my entertainment comes over the internet for 631bht/month (Movies, TV shows, Books, Music, social interactions)

Without any bars, restaurants, street food, coffee shops, What else do you spend money on?

But why be here?

to enjoy the four seasons.

20 minutes ago, Naam said:

a good question! nearly all our food is cooked at home, our entertainment comes over the internet and our dogs, we don't frequent bars, restaurants, coffee shops and we don't eat street food. i will ask my wife why we spend nearly 3 million Baht per annum. :ermm:

3 million baht, thought you were loaded - lol

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Naam said:

to enjoy the four seasons.

There are not 4 seasons in Thailand. Autumn,  Spring, winter and summer do not exist as such. There is no frost or snow or fall of leaves or change in daylight hours. The life you purport to lead could be anywhere.  Good luck anyway but I wouldn't like to be at yours on Christmas day.

On 8/14/2018 at 6:04 AM, balo said:

...Is it possible to find a woman under 30 who is not asking for money...

...or are happy with 5k pocket money  per month ? ...

...Who want to live with a farang over 50 ? ...

I had to break it down  into 3 parts.

1.  Yes, or it was 40 years ago.

2.  Never gave her any money, just put everything into a joint account.  ?

3. You got me there.  The last 15 years from 50 to 65 have been lumpy.  Occasionally she forgets what an A-hole I've been for 40 years.  Normally she has the presence of mind to remind me of that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The manic said:

There are not 4 seasons in Thailand. Autumn,  Spring, winter and summer do not exist as such. There is no frost or snow or fall of leaves or change in daylight hours. The life you purport to lead could be anywhere.  Good luck anyway but I wouldn't like to be at yours on Christmas day.

I can't be sure, but if you re-read that post you replied to, this time with your sarcasm detector switched on, you might get a different result.

Edited by Farangwithaplan

He could have been referring to the four seasons hotel in Bangkok ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 7/28/2018 at 11:32 PM, KittenKong said:

I find that things like insurance, fuel and most labour-related services are quite cheap here. Also condo common fees are very low. Local food is also cheap. Just about everything else often seems quite expensive to me, especially anything imported.

I dont pay rent, or finance any Thais, and I dont go to bars so I dont actually spend very much every month apart from on eating out and occasionally on hotels and travelling around. So for me income largely exceeds expenditure.

FUEL your kidding

4 hours ago, Naam said:

a good question! nearly all our food is cooked at home, our entertainment comes over the internet and our dogs, we don't frequent bars, restaurants, coffee shops and we don't eat street food. i will ask my wife why we spend nearly 3 million Baht per annum. :ermm:

Lottery tickets is my guess. ?

4 hours ago, The manic said:

Don't entirely agree, its cold around Oct - Feb, stuff starts growing, starts getting hot with April showers, gets hotter and hotter, the leaves fall from trees, dark @ 6 o/c and sometime light till 8 o/c, different times for Dawn times throughout the year.

3 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

I can't be sure, but if you re-read that post you replied to, this time with your sarcasm detector switched on, you might get a different result.

I assume honesty and sincerity.  Sarcasm is best left to verbal communications. In text the nuances are lost and as such rendered as a straight forward statements without any sub text or hidden meaning. Perhaps next time the writer could write in brackets the word 'sarcasm ' to indicate his communicative intentions. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/29/2018 at 9:08 AM, BritManToo said:
On 7/29/2018 at 9:03 AM, starky said:

15000 a month! wow! that's less than most Thais I would think. I'm 150000 a month easy I don't have a super extravagant lifestyle but I am very comfortable. 

Your reply doesn't make a lot of sense. Cooking at home can be cheap or expensive depending on what you buy.

6 hours ago, JaiLai said:
6 hours ago, Naam said:

3 million baht, thought you were loaded - lol

LOL> he's a cheapskate. That's only 57,692 baht per week.

Edited by tropo