What's your cost of living here in Thailand?

dallen52

From my point of view,people like You have very pure social life,they are not socialized here ,do not speak any of Thai language ,eat only expensive western food,etc.Maybe You are very old,peevish or  ugly or fat and You can be interesting only cos. a money?I have income for about 150K per a month and nice stock portfolio and savings,but I hate bars, do not eat western food,do not need a car in Bangkok.I have small condo 34 m and live with my Thai spouse (she cook Thai food) and I am happy with 20-30K per month.I can not eat more,drink more etc.I am socialized here and I can speak language pretty good.So maybe You can change Your bad habits and live much better with much less money as well.

34sq metres?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

After rent, insurances and air tickets, my rarely spend more than 20 fun tickets per month. I start with 25k per month for food and general day to day expenses and usually have over 5k left over unless I have friends from out of town or overseas come visit.

I usually cook at home 3 nights a week with vegies coming from the local market because it is close and fresh and I like mixing and supporting the locals. Fish, mainly salmon and pork and beef comes from Tescos or Tops.

Every 3 months I usually need to buy some clothes. Every 12 moths or so I get 7 tailored business shirts. The 25k per month covers that.

Things that I don't include in that 25k is any hotel accommodation or flights I book. I usually travel on the bike somewhere once a month and fly somewhere for the weekend every second month. I fly home once a year and also do a 2 week trip around thailand per year as well.

On 8/10/2018 at 2:14 PM, David Walden said:

Yes good we don't want to many more farangs to share  this lovely place.  We do have some girlie bars but nothing like Hua Hin or Pattaya, perhaps you would like them better?...thank you

There's no need to worry about that. I don't think too many Pattaya residents will be rushing to Cha Am no matter what you say about it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, smotherb said:

Then go for it if you are so happy. However, from your response it seems my post must have hit a nerve and turn-ed you into a name-caller. It seems your naming only hit one in four. Better luck next time.

I live in a 3-story townhouse, I have many Thai friends.Just had Mother's day dinner with my Thai in-laws. My wife also cooks; she does Western foods very well, made some great mole de puerco last night and she cooks Thai, but she is not Thai. I spend about B120k/mo, almost all of it from my investment portfolio.

I would not want to live on B20-30k and I don't want to be like you. So, now what?

You can not be me,for sure and I do not want to be like You,but if You manage Your investment portfolio like your daily expenses ,You will lose most or all and that is only question of time.Your wife is not Thai and You do not speak Thai,but You have "many Thai friends" ???? I am almost sure that you lie,but it is Your life.I would feel very sad and poor in any country to live like You.

2 hours ago, vukovar77 said:

You can not be me,for sure and I do not want to be like You,but if You manage Your investment portfolio like your daily expenses ,You will lose most or all and that is only question of time.Your wife is not Thai and You do not speak Thai,but You have "many Thai friends" ???? I am almost sure that you lie,but it is Your life.I would feel very sad and poor in any country to live like You.

Well, you impudent wimp. You call me names and now a liar. What's the matter bunky, so unsure of your life that you can't stand another viewpoint. Poor little boy.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tropo said:

There's no need to worry about that. I don't think too many Pattaya residents will be rushing to Cha Am no matter what you say about it.

That's my tongue in cheek humour.... you can laugh now  5555...  I'm sure the local Cha-am people would love to have you and even that happy lot of farangs looking for a place to live and love.  You need to be able to play snooker, play darts, talk politics i.e. football politics, be sociable and drink a bit of beer and appreciate the local Thai ladies  We don't have any victims in Cha-am "I think"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Why do folks get so indignant over this? Y'all want to spend100k a month or 40k or 20k who cares?

Are ya happy? Me I've been happy living in a tent on a beach with a 73 LandCruiser for company as well as in a Condo with a Mercedes. All same same to me. 

Hey I woke up,took a dump,I'm not any better looking than I was yesterday, but I'm walking on top of the grass instead of laying under it!

Life is a journey, not a destination. 

This is the best post I've seen on this site sofar.  Some of you are like the song from 40 years ago "It's good news week someone dropped a bomb somewhere contaminating  atmosphere and darkening the sky".  Can't get your rocks off unless you have something to complain about.  There is plenty of good stuff to talk about on this site.

Job in america = 80,000 a month.  But expectations are out of line with reality.  50,000 a month is good money, but most Thai ladies are going to want more.  Much more.  I suppose you can live a lot cheaper if you're single.  No honey, save money.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, james1995 said:

Job in america = 80,000 a month.  But expectations are out of line with reality.  50,000 a month is good money, but most Thai ladies are going to want more.  Much more.  I suppose you can live a lot cheaper if you're single.  No honey, save money.

So what's different in the West...I'll tell you multiply your income by at least 3 that's be about right.  Like Bt80,000 will  now be Bt240,000 in USA,  Bt50,000 is now Bt150,000 in USA and The West.  All you have to is set some boundaries or  trade in and get a different model...like in the West.

7 hours ago, David Walden said:

That's my tongue in cheek humour.... you can laugh now  5555...  I'm sure the local Cha-am people would love to have you and even that happy lot of farangs looking for a place to live and love.  You need to be able to play snooker, play darts, talk politics i.e. football politics, be sociable and drink a bit of beer and appreciate the local Thai ladies  We don't have any victims in Cha-am "I think"

LOL> If those are the pre-requisites, then I'm out. I'll stick to Pattaya where the requirements are more flexible. 

51 minutes ago, tropo said:

LOL> If those are the pre-requisites, then I'm out. I'll stick to Pattaya where the requirements are more flexible. 

I don't know how to play darts,guess I can't go to Cha Am...

,????

• Haha 1

And, as there is a lull in the action, time for the ThaiVisa theme song for all those with wonderful lives, and wonderful spouses, and wonderful in-laws, and wonderful kids, and wonderful Thai friends, and (sometines) wonderful ex-spouses, and wonderful investment portfolios, etc. (with apologies to Joe Cocker, Billy Preston, Dennis Wilson):

I am so beautiful
To me
I am so beautiful
To me
Can't you see (ee-ee-EE-ay)
I'm everything I hoped for
I'm everything I need
I am so beautiful
To me

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JLCrab said:

And, as there is a lull in the action, time for the ThaiVisa theme song for all those with wonderful lives, and wonderful spouses, and wonderful in-laws, and wonderful kids, and wonderful Thai friends, and (sometines) wonderful ex-spouses, and wonderful investment portfolios, etc. (with apologies to Joe Cocker, Billy Preston, Dennis Wilson):

I am so beautiful
To me
I am so beautiful
To me
Can't you see (ee-ee-EE-ay)
I'm everything I hoped for
I'm everything I need
I am so beautiful
To me

Joe Cocker an example of a very poor rich man,  I went to a concert of his in Perth long ago he came on only half drunk and drank a 6 pack of beer in full view of the 8000, Staggered off, should have got my money back it was so bad.  Got kicked out of Australia about 1975 for for drug possession had to give money back to a dozen sell out concerts...but I did like his music...yes "a very poor rich man"  He's gone now.  Like the song I remember from my very young days "Cigarettes and whiskey and wild wild women they'll drive you crazy they'll drive you insane"  Not so sure about the wild wild women ( I kinda like them).

6 minutes ago, David Walden said:

Joe Cocker an example of a very poor rich man,  I went to a concert of his in Perth long ago he came on only half drunk and drank a 6 pack of beer in full view of the 8000, Staggered off, should have got my money back it was so bad.  Got kicked out of Australia about 1975 for for drug possession had to give money back to a dozen sell out concerts...but I did like his music...yes "a very poor rich man"  He's gone now.  Like the song I remember from my very young days "Cigarettes and whiskey and wild wild women they'll drive you crazy they'll drive you insane"  Not so sure about the wild wild women ( I kinda like them).

Joe Cocker was great. A god of the blues.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2018 at 2:11 AM, johnmell said:

Wow, all these people who dont drink or smoke. Im impressed.

i use to be smoking..until i broke up with my GF who also smoking.

I hate her so much as well her activities :D, so been quiting for 4 years , never tot to burn ciggies on my finger again

On 8/13/2018 at 11:07 AM, smotherb said:

Well, you impudent wimp. You call me names and now a liar. What's the matter bunky, so unsure of your life that you can't stand another viewpoint. Poor little boy.

Yeah,I think that You lie and I think that You have very serious problems.I am sure that You are pretty uneducated rude man and unhappy bloke ,maybe grumpy old man,but this is Your problem.

8 minutes ago, vukovar77 said:

Yeah,I think that You lie and I think that You have very serious problems.I am sure that You are pretty uneducated rude man and unhappy bloke ,maybe grumpy old man,but this is Your problem.

Well, quite frankly, I do not care what you think. Your ignorance astounds me. As I said, I'll simply consider the source and pity you.

Is it possible to find a woman under 30 who is not asking for money or are happy with 5k pocket money  per month ? Who want to live with a farang over 50 ? I don't think so. Cambodia maybe, not here

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, JLCrab said:

Ah, so you now admit you lost the debate.

(At least that's how it worked yesterday)

Honesty.png

No, not at all. Rather than lower myself to his level, call names, and make unfounded statements; I chose to consider the source of his blustering.

What's the matter, you obsessed with my posts?

27 minutes ago, smotherb said:

No, not at all. Rather than lower myself to his level, call names, and make unfounded statements; I chose to consider the source of his blustering.

I had a little dog till recently, a bichon Toby was his name.  A fluffy slipper just lovely, gone to dog heaven.  When I used to give him a lecture about barking at people who came to the door no matter what I said he would have to have the last say, like wolf wolf.  I'd say stop and he would always have wolf at least one more time.  I never got to have the last say.  We even had arguments about who was gunna have the last say, sad to say I always lost. This a better story then you 2 people.  5555

Edited by David Walden

1 hour ago, balo said:

Is it possible to find a woman under 30 who is not asking for money or are happy with 5k pocket money  per month ? Who want to live with a farang over 50 ? I don't think so. Cambodia maybe, not here

Why would ya wanna live with one? Under 30 I mean? You are paying then to leave, remember?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, David Walden said:

Bring it onI had a little dog till recently, a bichon Toby was his name.  A fluffy slipper just lovely, gone to dog heaven.  When I used to give him a lecture about barking at people who came to the door no matter what I said he would have to have the last say, like wolf wolf.  I'd say stop and he would always have wolf at least one more time.  I never got to have the last say.  We even had arguments about who was gunna have the last say, sad to say I always lost. This a better story then you 2 people.  5555

Well, apparently you did not see I gave Crab the last word in our little tryst--I simply posted a  grimace. Apparently, he wants to come back at it again by getting in my dialogue with another poster.  Bring it on; I am willing to respond.  

36 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Why not? I go where there is material and you've been chock full of it lately.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Well, apparently you did not see I gave Crab the last word in our little tryst--I simply posted a  grimace. Apparently, he wants to come back at it again by getting in my dialogue with another poster.  Bring it on; I am willing to respond.  

Can't do any better then my doggie post...sorry.

• Haha 1