What's your cost of living here in Thailand?

dallen52

On 8/8/2018 at 7:13 PM, simon43 said:

Manjara - you wonder what is happening with the other 55,000 baht each month that she isn't spending.  The likely answer is that she's saving it in her private bank account, as a large financial cushion for when you kick her out (or she moves on to someone else).

Just saying ?

I think he answers himself when he says,

I expect to have about 80-100k a month in retirement, so that's my target, but it may require a change of wife to reach it! 

She isn't going to like it...

Nor her family. 

Nor her friends circle.

Nor the maid.

They always want more, not less..

So brace yourself..

Try sending them less one month and ask her to chip in with some of her money..  ?

There's going to be tears.

5 hours ago, David Walden said:

Thailand is not perfect and I could probably knit pick.  I have a bit more money to spend then just the Aus basic aged pension, not a lot and own half a house in W.A.  Aus. so I can go back as often as I like.  Rarely do I ever get ripped of by Thais or anyone, usually the other way round.  Like 2 kg of bananas presently in Aus about $9.00 Aus or Bt230. same thing in Cha-am Bt25. Just one example.  I could fill pages of many saving examples  A 34 sq/m air-cond room 13th floor overlooking Cha-am beach incl power and water Micro wave, fridge small kitchen and cooker, ensuite bathroom Bt9000P/m or Bt8000 for 6 months.  I usually like to tip but modestly you always get thanked for that.

I'm 76 y/o and in reasonably good health.. I just think Thailand is an "old mans paradise".  Not just for the ladies I meet but the other many happy farangs I meet, some with very limited funds. 

Any more places for rent there?

• Like 1

On 8/8/2018 at 7:28 PM, manjara said:

No, that's just a dream I have on a regular basis!  it's a good dream! ?

I think your comment above probably sums it up for many of us here.

The big, "what happens when the money drys up?"

"Will you still love me when I have nothing."

We all know the answer. 

But we keep on doing it.

On 8/5/2018 at 12:40 AM, gk10002000 said:

Yes.  You hit the nail on the head.  It can be a decent and comfortable life style that is often much better in several ways than back in one's home land.  While a cold winter chill in the air can be invigorating, when one gets old, the ease of just sliding out to the pool on a warm day can become pretty attractive!   Shovel snow, rake leaves?  That I will never miss.  Being able to walk around in shorts and comfortable walking shoes is heaven to me.  Being able to see so many pretty Thai ladies daily is great.  Being able to get foot massage any time, fantastic.  I still haven't signed up to punch out yet, but based on the way my two middle bosses at work acted towards me this week, well, if they don't want the 61 year old highly experienced and uniquely qualified test engineer that is the only person to have worked on and tested both UCAS and CMSW, and the person they themselves hired, well so be it.  I am fully funded for retirement without even counting social security which I could start next year.  Might be the year of a life choice.  I was going to buy my "permanent" house here in Florida, get a reliable house mate from work with a security clearance and offer a shit great rent rate that covers my expenses on the house.  Then I can hang here when needed or head overseas, keep a good USA address, have no mailing issues, leave my car in the garage, etc.  Or I may just head out.  Kind of nice to not really be tied to anything.  Medical insurance is the only nuance because Obamacare made the price so expensive outside of work, but there are ways around that.  Insurance in Thailand is not too bad compared to that.  I would be exempt from Obamacare if leaving over seas.  Next year no penalty for NOT having Obamacare.  Cigna Global had a decent silver plan at 248 USD/month that is the front runner right now.  Anything else is just a low level detail.  Lesson here is Do put money away in those years when jobs and contracts and costs were low.  I had 6 great years that pushed me well over 1 Mil USD, and I have that all invested in simple dividend and interest paying things.  Not trying to kill the market, just getting over 5% return on my money, much of which is tax free in Munis or my ROTH IRa distributions.  I could have done even better had I been a little smarter in some of the slower work years, but oh well.  Thanks to my buddy Doug (RIP) that was a great example and guiding light.

I think you are a very smart man.   Much of my pension comes from the Australian Govt aged pension (AAP) and a top up from a modest Retirement fund.  This allows me to spend Bt75,000 a month in Thailand and at the same time increase payments due to inflation and usually each month something over.  Most people I know in Thailand who run into money troubles do so building houses on other people's land.

The best advice I can give is...read my sign off below. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, David Walden said:

The Cattareya Condotel at Cha-am is located in the busy strip along the beach road in Cha-am..  There are no hotels or building in Cha-am on the beach side of the main beach road (except 2 small police stations), the beach goes for about 25 km un-interrupted unlike Heu Hin  (much bigger 30 km south). The busy down town part in Cha-am is about 5km long. There about 15,000 beach chairs and umbrellas for hire along the beach but all gone Wednesday and back Thurs to Tues.  Wednesday is beach clean up day by local govt.       

The complex I think was a hotel 20 or so years ago it has about 600/700 room some like mine with the balcony enclosed with smoked glass and heavy drapes to take the bite out of the sun when its high, some with just the open balcony, the pigeons love them.  No sea gulls in Cha-am the pigeons beat them up so they leave.

Many of the units are owned by a many different owners, however I believe that about half are still owned by one person.  These units are basic about 34 sq/m, mine is 13th floor with lovely outlook over town and beach.  Some units are 2 or even 3 and made into a larger one.  The walls between each unit are brick but not load bearing so walls can be knocked out as required.  My unit is quite nice, nice ensuite, proper kitchen sink, fridge, micro wave, little cooker I supply (bt450 at Tesco), good air-cond, TV  (never use it).  Queen size bed, nice lounge as supplied.  Bt8000 +power and water or $7000 + power and water for 6 months.  A lot of farangs from all over the world have rooms there some for years, some buy units most rent. (that's me).  There are about 13x   7/11s along the beach road and altogether 20 in Cha-am alone as well as some Tesco, Big C, The family stores and soon to be Makro almost dead centre of town.  We have  One 7/11 at the end of the Catereya Soi and 2 others within 300 metres.  They all seem to be flatout most of the time and all stay open 24/7.  Weekend 20,000 or more Thais arrive and put their toes in the water.  Traffic can be crazy then but Mon/Fri all just lovely.

The complex is watched over by 3/4 security guards at all times (24hrs), nice friendly Thai blokes who seem to smile and laugh at my jokes. ( not sure they know what I'm saying).  They can for a price sell you a motor bike or even a car if you want one.  There are usually a few tenants who need to sell things, moving in/out, the security blokes can make it happen. They have just the car I'll want to buy when I return soon or a motor bike cheap and that's OK.  150 metre to beach water but when the tide is out that's 300 metres.  The complex has a nice big pool.  Out of action at the moment for renovations should be OK when I get back.  Hmmmm.   Now quiet time of year, will be much better when finished...wasn't bad before.

Look on the internet for Cattareya Condotel Cha-am.  The manager real nice bloke can't speak much english but his "side kick"  The lovely "SONG"  (yes that's her name) is not bad at english.  It's better to talk to her even if just for the smiles.  She manges much of the rental arrangement.  Watch out for freelance rental agents who hang around.

PS.... again don't tell anyone how good it is...we don't want to many farangs coming to live in Cha-am

So you like Cha-am do you?  ?   just kidding if you're happy that's all that counts!  enjoy Cha-am and all its Cha-arm.

21 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

So you like Cha-am do you?  ?   just kidding if you're happy that's all that counts!  enjoy Cha-am and all its Cha-arm.

My only complaint about Thailand is with the immigration requirements.  After 7 years I'm getting to know it better and I've just about rum out of steam.  All the rest just lovely.  I'll try my hardest in future to see if I can find anything to complain about...nothing so far.  All as expected warts and all.

• Like 2

On 7/29/2018 at 3:05 AM, tropo said:

Surprises me too... thought I was the only one LOL

I quit drinking, which I used to do plenty of and used to enjoy.   However I can no longer handle the hangovers.  See it as a blessing in disguise.  Booze can be a big part of the budget...  Don't smoke.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, David Walden said:

The Cattareya Condotel at Cha-am is located in the busy strip along the beach road in Cha-am..  There are no hotels or building in Cha-am on the beach side of the main beach road (except 2 small police stations), the beach goes for about 25 km un-interrupted unlike Heu Hin  (much bigger 30 km south). The busy down town part in Cha-am is about 5km long. There about 15,000 beach chairs and umbrellas for hire along the beach but all gone Wednesday and back Thurs to Tues.  Wednesday is beach clean up day by local govt.       

The complex I think was a hotel 20 or so years ago it has about 600/700 room some like mine with the balcony enclosed with smoked glass and heavy drapes to take the bite out of the sun when its high, some with just the open balcony, the pigeons love them.  No sea gulls in Cha-am the pigeons beat them up so they leave.

Many of the units are owned by a many different owners, however I believe that about half are still owned by one person.  These units are basic about 34 sq/m, mine is 13th floor with lovely outlook over town and beach.  Some units are 2 or even 3 and made into a larger one.  The walls between each unit are brick but not load bearing so walls can be knocked out as required.  My unit is quite nice, nice ensuite, proper kitchen sink, fridge, micro wave, little cooker I supply (bt450 at Tesco), good air-cond, TV  (never use it).  Queen size bed, nice lounge as supplied.  Bt8000 +power and water or $7000 + power and water for 6 months.  A lot of farangs from all over the world have rooms there some for years, some buy units most rent. (that's me).  There are about 13x   7/11s along the beach road and altogether 20 in Cha-am alone as well as some Tesco, Big C, The family stores and soon to be Makro almost dead centre of town.  We have  One 7/11 at the end of the Catereya Soi and 2 others within 300 metres.  They all seem to be flatout most of the time and all stay open 24/7.  Weekend 20,000 or more Thais arrive and put their toes in the water.  Traffic can be crazy then but Mon/Fri all just lovely.

The complex is watched over by 3/4 security guards at all times (24hrs), nice friendly Thai blokes who seem to smile and laugh at my jokes. ( not sure they know what I'm saying).  They can for a price sell you a motor bike or even a car if you want one.  There are usually a few tenants who need to sell things, moving in/out, the security blokes can make it happen. They have just the car I'll want to buy when I return soon or a motor bike cheap and that's OK.  150 metre to beach water but when the tide is out that's 300 metres.  The complex has a nice big pool.  Out of action at the moment for renovations should be OK when I get back.  Hmmmm.   Now quiet time of year, will be much better when finished...wasn't bad before.

Look on the internet for Cattareya Condotel Cha-am.  The manager real nice bloke can't speak much english but his "side kick"  The lovely "SONG"  (yes that's her name) is not bad at english.  It's better to talk to her even if just for the smiles.  She manges much of the rental arrangement.  Watch out for freelance rental agents who hang around.

PS.... again don't tell anyone how good it is...we don't want to many farangs coming to live in Cha-am

When is Makro opening, and where exactly will it be. Always bemused me, Petburi, Pranburi, then HH all had Makros but Cha am missed out

• Like 1

I have also been told good things about Cha Am , especially the beaches , but I think it would be too quite for me. and lack of good quality western restaurants , and a big mall . Both things are still important to me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, balo said:

I have also been told good things about Cha Am , especially the beaches , but I think it would be too quite for me. and lack of good quality western restaurants , and a big mall . Both things are still important to me. 

My brief time there left me with a feeling of nothingness.

But to each his own..   ?

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

When is Makro opening, and where exactly will it be. Always bemused me, Petburi, Pranburi, then HH all had Makros but Cha am missed out

About half way along Nerathrip Road (Alley) between traffic lights and the beach.  Hope they sell english sausages and aussie steak.  There working on it day and night.

Edited by David Walden

51 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

My brief time there left me with a feeling of nothingness.

But to each his own..   ?

Yes good we don't want to many more farangs to share  this lovely place.  We do have some girlie bars but nothing like Hua Hin or Pattaya, perhaps you would like them better?...thank you

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, David Walden said:

Yes good we don't want to many more farangs to share  this lovely place.  We do have some girlie bars but nothing like Hua Hin or Pattaya, perhaps you would like them better?...thank you

Thanks David,  

It's good to know you are the representative for the community as you say "we don't want".

Don't worry Mate,   I won't be taking the ferry or drive there soon.

I guess I must have hit a sensitive nerve with you.   I just offered my  honest opinion, and it still stands."

And yes,  you are very  "Welcome"!

?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, David Walden said:

We always called it Soi Beirut, always fights going on in the soi...thats 10 years ago, was a few bars and karokes then.

Only down the road to Hua Hin plenty of better places to eat..?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 7/29/2018 at 2:11 AM, johnmell said:

Wow, all these people who dont drink or smoke. Im impressed.

Why? I packed up drinking over 30 years ago and have never felt the inclination to either go back to drink or smoke. It took me 24 hours to totally quit drinking

Edited by upu2
  • Like 2

On 8/10/2018 at 3:24 PM, watcharacters said:

Thanks David,  

It's good to know you are the representative for the community as you say "we don't want".

Don't worry Mate,   I won't be taking the ferry or drive there soon.

I guess I must have hit a sensitive nerve with you.   I just offered my  honest opinion, and it still stands."

And yes,  you are very  "Welcome"!

?

I thought I was being funny, like tongue in cheek humour...sorry.

On 8/10/2018 at 12:53 PM, gk10002000 said:

Love it and agree with it.  So many retirees get over committed and fall into some of the traps there.  Love your quote which I pasted below.  I have decided to leave my current job which pays a ton, and go take one more temporary contract assignment because I enjoy engineering and would like just a few more months into 2019 .  The job is in Texas which is also a tax free state so no paperwork for me.  If the Southern Cal gig comes through, I might do that also, just because I like SoCal.  But definitely putting my career on FAF, Final Approach Fix.  The current prices for roundtrip flights LAX to BKK coach as low as 454 USD!  Business class on China Eastern is only 2200.  Can't resist much longer

"

There has not been a man yet who on his deathbed said "I should have stayed at the office longer"

We do have a few nice good looking intelligent Yanks and Southern Gentlemen living in Cattareya Condotel.  JC (John Cox) of retirecheap.asia  web site lives in this complex.  He has a lot and lots of free information on his site about Cha-am including Cattareya, Hua Hin ,Chiang Mai, Nong Khai, Prachurup Kiri Khan and many other places you can live in Thailand and S/E Asia.

Edited by David Walden

On 7/29/2018 at 2:46 PM, smotherb said:

I do not know your life, but from what you say I would not like it-- it sounds boring and confining. I am not suggesting that you have not gotten used to living as you do.That seems to be a common defense mechanism, especially for those on a tight budget. However, if you had more money, would you not opt for a better beer and maybe even go out once in a while instead of doing all your drinking at home and all your entertainment for free?

From my point of view,people like You have very pure social life,they are not socialized here ,do not speak any of Thai language ,eat only expensive western food,etc.Maybe You are very old,peevish or  ugly or fat and You can be interesting only cos. a money?I have income for about 150K per a month and nice stock portfolio and savings,but I hate bars, do not eat western food,do not need a car in Bangkok.I have small condo 34 m and live with my Thai spouse (she cook Thai food) and I am happy with 20-30K per month.I can not eat more,drink more etc.I am socialized here and I can speak language pretty good.So maybe You can change Your bad habits and live much better with much less money as well.

4 hours ago, vukovar77 said:

From my point of view,people like You have very pure social life,they are not socialized here ,do not speak any of Thai language ,eat only expensive western food,etc.Maybe You are very old,peevish or  ugly or fat and You can be interesting only cos. a money?I have income for about 150K per a month and nice stock portfolio and savings,but I hate bars, do not eat western food,do not need a car in Bangkok.I have small condo 34 m and live with my Thai spouse (she cook Thai food) and I am happy with 20-30K per month.I can not eat more,drink more etc.I am socialized here and I can speak language pretty good.So maybe You can change Your bad habits and live much better with much less money as well.

Then go for it if you are so happy. However, from your response it seems my post must have hit a nerve and turn-ed you into a name-caller. It seems your naming only hit one in four. Better luck next time.

I live in a 3-story townhouse, I have many Thai friends.Just had Mother's day dinner with my Thai in-laws. My wife also cooks; she does Western foods very well, made some great mole de puerco last night and she cooks Thai, but she is not Thai. I spend about B120k/mo, almost all of it from my investment portfolio.

I would not want to live on B20-30k and I don't want to be like you. So, now what?

• Like 2