Thai Labour Law: Royal Decree blows work permits wide open

webfact

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

"As a consequence, any foreigner who has a work permit in Thailand may now, work anywhere, for anyone (including themselves), under any conditions, and do any type of work, that is not excluded by the Official List.

This is a very significant and welcome change to the Thai foreign labour law regime."

bottom line of the article.

agree, this is a quantum leap forward in the right direction

but would the new stipulations ease/facilitate getting a WPin the first hand?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, overherebc said:

For sure this will not be a WP Fest.

My take is that those already holding a WP will not be stricly limited to the area of issue.

Eg a contract that has offices, yards in different provinces might mean the WP you have for Chonburi might cover you to do a bit of your work in a subcontractors fab' yard in Saraburi without having to apply for a WP there or have it added to your existing WP.

All the work would have to do with the contract itself, not a different job on a different contract.

No 

As a consequence, any foreigner who has a work permit in Thailand may now, work anywhere, for anyone (including themselves), under any conditions, and do any type work, that is not excluded by the Official List.

https://duensingkippen.com/thailandbusinesslawblog/?p=270

Edited by FritsSikkink

7 minutes ago, r136dg said:

Can I get a work permit to cut my grass now? It's looking like a jungle out there.

It sounds like they may be casting aside all that silliness.  You might even be able to build a boat in your backyard one day. 

23 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

No 

As a consequence, any foreigner who has a work permit in Thailand may now, work anywhere, for anyone (including themselves), under any conditions, and do any type work, that is not excluded by the Official List.

I agree that's what the translation says, but, it's written in Thai and the Thai understanding of it will most often be different from the tralators understanding.

Going by that paragraph it gives the impression that, lets call it an open WP, will be there for the asking allowing you to travel all over Thailand working where you feel like it doing any non-restricted job.

Somehow I don't believe that's the real intention.

Edit.

More likely it will allow a company to get WP's for migrant workers allowing the workers to move around as the company may require.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

One aspect that isnt being given the attention is possibly deserves 

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-law-working-without-a-work-permit-now-possible-67692.php#i86dxMR20OLZ2kX3.97

A. The following non-Thais can carry out certain activities in Thailand without a work permit:

(1) a non-Thai who comes to Thailand on a short-term periodic basis to: hold or to attend a meeting, lecture, seminar, training, exhibition of art or culture, or sports competition; provide an opinion; inspect work of others; or, any other activities, as prescribed by the Council of Ministers.

(2) a non-Thai who enters into Thailand to: operate a business; make an investment; or who has knowledge, ability, or skills that are considered beneficial to the development of the country;
(3) a non-Thai legal representative (e.g. director) of an alien juristic person that is licensed to operate business under the Foreign Business Act (1999);

The text of that would appear to now consent to a non Thai entering Thailand, without a work permit, and operating a (presume non Thai) business. 

That change would now appear to allow online work, for a existing business, without a work permit. 

44 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Hope somebody informs Big Joke and other policemen.   Some of them will be crushed to hear they have less to hold over people. 

Frankly, never thought this day would ever happen.  It is good news. 

Bet you never thought the junta could do something positive ?

Just now, LivinLOS said:

One aspect that isnt being given the attention is possibly deserves 

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-law-working-without-a-work-permit-now-possible-67692.php#i86dxMR20OLZ2kX3.97

The text of that would appear to now consent to a non Thai entering Thailand, without a work permit, and operating a (presume non Thai) business. 

That change would now appear to allow online work, for a existing business, without a work permit. 

It looks that way... but how are these people different to those that are already operating a business in Thailand ? I mean normal (non online) business. I know the normal labor laws with the 4 Thais to every foreigner for a WP are there to protect work for Thais, and online businesses don't take away work from Thais if they are not targeting people in Thailand.

RE - Phuket Law: Royal Decree blows work permits wide open

Hopefully this article is not based on the same Source that claimed 16 shots to the head when it was just 3....:whistling:

Edited by ttrd

As a consequence, any foreigner who has a work permit in Thailand may now, work anywhere, for anyone (including themselves), under any conditions, and do any type of work, that is not excluded by the Official List.

So you can work for a company part-time, then have a small freelance business on the side?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

Bet you never thought the junta could do something positive ?

Not sure it was they.  It could have been a higher power.  Did the junta tout it as great achievement?  Usually they like to talk up all that they do, as saviors of Thailand.  They talk about hours of debate at the NLA which then returns a unanimous verdict with a handful of abstentions.  I could be wrong, but this seems like interesting timing more than anything else. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, yellowboat said:

Not sure it was they.  It could have been a higher power.  Did the junta tout it as great achievement?  Usually they like to talk up all that they do, as saviors of Thailand.  They talk about hours of debate at the NLA which then returns a unanimous verdict with a handful of abstentions.  I could be wrong, but this seems like interesting timing more than anything else. 

I was only teasing you a bit and you fell for it hook line and sinker. Anyway the king does not make laws only endorses them (all laws as far as i know). To the junta this is no achievement.. but for some of us its quite useful. 

• Like 1

Its good for some bad for others. My company employs foreign workers in factory. Due to the latest changes, the newest batch of workers that we brought in, most have left the company after working a month or less because they want to try other jobs. This cost us time and money, as well we the human resource agency that needs to replace workers for us. 

13 minutes ago, robblok said:

I was only teasing you a bit and you fell for it hook line and sinker. Anyway the king does not make laws only endorses them (all laws as far as i know). To the junta this is no achievement.. but for some of us its quite useful. 

I hate the junta and loved being teased.  

They gleefully enforced all these awful labor laws, viciously attacked people who were conducting trade with the country and now it is all different today.   It did not seem to go threw the NLA.  It is a good thing, but it seems odd to me.   Think it has to do with timing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

I hate the junta and loved being teased.  

They gleefully enforced all these awful labor laws, viciously attacked people who were conducting trade with the country and now it is all different today.   It did not seem to go threw the NLA.  It is a good thing, but it seems odd to me.   Think it has to do with timing. 

Your better informed then I am, i never know what goes through the NLA. 

32 minutes ago, robblok said:

It looks that way... but how are these people different to those that are already operating a business in Thailand ? I mean normal (non online) business. I know the normal labor laws with the 4 Thais to every foreigner for a WP are there to protect work for Thais, and online businesses don't take away work from Thais if they are not targeting people in Thailand.

Agreed.. If, and its a very big if at this stage, that is how it is intended and enforced, it would seem to create a huge 'hole' in effective control of labour law, and short circuit lots of value added / knowledge transfer / engage Thais and rent offices etc type things which labour law seemed designed to do.

I guess in implementation it could require 1) properly formed and operated non Thai entity (not self employed or one man band) 2) single person not 2nd party incountry 3) no Thai source of income / client base.. 

Right now its all about how that is implemented, understood and enforced. However superficially it does appear to say that. 

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

No 

Does David Brent work for Duensingkippen Law Firm?

Or maybe Del boy and Rodney work there?

Sound like some run of the mill law firm. How can we trust what they say? Offices worldwide London, Paris, New York, Peckham, Phuket. Is it run by Indians or cowboys?

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

On the face of it, this seems like very good news and a step in the right direction for common sense. I am keen to see under what circumstances a foreigner may work without a permit. Been too scared to paint the house, just in case.

Ive built  two house on my  own without help with my local policeman dropping  by occasionally for a chat.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, robblok said:

That's a Visa rule. There's no requirement of 4 Thais to get a WP.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zib said:

That's a Visa rule. There's no requirement of 4 Thais to get a WP.

I stand corrected, that is if you right, i admit I am not sure here.

But if that is true, suppose you get a visa based on marriage (i know its called differently), then you would be able to get a WP without having 4 Thais in the company ?