Red stamp from Penang denied in Vientiane

1 hour ago, Kaalle said:

Also if you have used up your exempts dont worry too much about the border crossing if you are denied a visa. There are helpful agents and immigration staff that love thousand baht notes for some really strange reason. Cant wrap my head around it...

Ha! So you went back to Thailand instead of heading to Savannakhet to try to get a visa there?

2 hours ago, Kaalle said:

Also if you have used up your exempts dont worry too much about the border crossing if you are denied a visa. There are helpful agents and immigration staff that love thousand baht notes for some really strange reason. Cant wrap my head around it...

It may have worked once, but I would not count on this.  It is easy to trace how many visa-exempts a visitor received in a calendar-year, so I would expect something on the order of 10K baht and up to pay off the supervisory chain - similar to other "offerings" which skirt the rules/regulations for extensions and such.  Also, bribes are engaging in criminal activity, which could have very unpleasant consequences if/when it is a "set-up."

Best, IMO, to consider each trip out of the country of "unspecified duration," and do whatever is necessary to get another Tourist Visa, if one has received 2x land-border exempts for the calendar-year.  Every time I made plans in Thailand too close to when I anticipated returning from a trip for a Tourist Visa, some unexpected twist would throw a monkey-wrench into the plan.

2 hours ago, Caldera said:

Ha! So you went back to Thailand instead of heading to Savannakhet to try to get a visa there?

Yeah, I had flight booked and what not. Getting a new passport instead. 

And jack thompson yeah it worked once, and thats all I needed. I have no plans to be denied visas evermonth and rely on  exempts. 

25 minutes ago, Kaalle said:

And jack thompson yeah it worked once, and thats all I needed. I have no plans to be denied visas evermonth and rely on  exempts. 

Yes - I was more worried others might read this and say, "Well, I'll just do that..." and then life might go sideways.  But your report is appreciated, none the less.

Yes - I was more worried others might read this and say, "Well, I'll just do that..." and then life might go sideways.  But your report is appreciated, none the less.
Ah thats a good point actually. I should have wrote worst case scenario you can probably get across the border at least. I was very worried but the agent assured me it wasnt a big deal.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Kaalle said:

That is the right way to think about visa exempt entries by land when spending a lot of time in Thailand. Use them only in emergencies, usually when an expected visa does not materialize.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

That is the right way to think about visa exempt entries by land when spending a lot of time in Thailand. Use them only in emergencies, usually when an expected visa does not materialize.

You think using up your two per year is frowned upon or might be by immigration staff? I have no idea it might be so.

Also I think maybe limit setv applications to two per consultate/embassy to avoid red stamp. Or just hope for the best what do I know. 

6 hours ago, Kaalle said:

You think using up your two per year is frowned upon or might be by immigration staff? I have no idea it might be so.

Also I think maybe limit setv applications to two per consultate/embassy to avoid red stamp. Or just hope for the best what do I know. 

I think the total number of visa exempt entries you use has a big impact on what happens when entering by air. That includes those at land crossings.

Each consulate/embassy has its own policies over red stamps. There is no general rule that can be applied. For instance, you can get many tourist visas in Savannakhet without a red stamp. However, you may get a red stamp in Phnom Penh on your first application there if you have many previous tourist visas from elsewhere.

45 minutes ago, elviajero said:
7 hours ago, BritTim said:

For instance, you can get many tourist visas in Savannakhet without a red stamp.

How many is "many"?

We have yet to find out. I cannot recall any reports of a red stamp or refused tourist visa from there (if you satisfy their requirements) and can recall several cases of people receiving multiple tourist visa from Savannakhet with a red stamp from Vientiane. While subject to change, my belief is that Savannakhet will continue to issue you tourist visas if you meet their requirements.

My unproven theory is that Vientiane and Savannakhet agreed an approach that Vientiane would have no conditions but issue limited visas; and Savannakhet would have conditions but no limit on the number of visas they would issue.

2 hours ago, BritTim said:
3 hours ago, elviajero said:
10 hours ago, BritTim said:

For instance, you can get many tourist visas in Savannakhet without a red stamp.

How many is "many"?

We have yet to find out. I cannot recall any reports of a red stamp or refused tourist visa from there (if you satisfy their requirements) and can recall several cases of people receiving multiple tourist visa from Savannakhet with a red stamp from Vientiane. While subject to change, my belief is that Savannakhet will continue to issue you tourist visas if you meet their requirements.

My unproven theory is that Vientiane and Savannakhet agreed an approach that Vientiane would have no conditions but issue limited visas; and Savannakhet would have conditions but no limit on the number of visas they would issue.

Savannakhet have recently enforced stricter conditions in order to reduce/deter the number of applicants. There is no other credible reason. No doubt there has been an increase in applications due to the Vientiane restrictions, and if that doesn't reduce I bet they will start issuing warning stamps and imposing limits. 

I doubt very much, in the current climate, if anyone could get more than 3-4 (a few) back to back visas from Savannakhet. Happy to be proven wrong.

Edited by elviajero

• 9 months later...
On 8/4/2018 at 7:44 PM, elviajero said:

Savannakhet have recently enforced stricter conditions in order to reduce/deter the number of applicants. There is no other credible reason. No doubt there has been an increase in applications due to the Vientiane restrictions, and if that doesn't reduce I bet they will start issuing warning stamps and imposing limits. 

I doubt very much, in the current climate, if anyone could get more than 3-4 (a few) back to back visas from Savannakhet. Happy to be proven wrong.

no doubt this came true, savannakhet is not some safe zone. 

now on my second tourist visa from savannakhet i have gotten a warning remark stamp. 

Edited by at15
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, at15 said:

no doubt this came true, savannakhet is not some safe zone. 

now on my second tourist visa from savannakhet i have gotten a warning remark stamp. 

How many total TVs in your passport ?

I think best to use Vientane for 2 TVs before looking elsewhere, but the game is up soon for TV runners with this face/finger scanner system coming in -regardless of the strategy-  and everything more interlocked on borders soon...plus online pre-approval applications will come in soon enough around Thailand...they are going all out to break the monkey's back regarding long-stay on TV/Ed. visas now the Chinese numbers are projected to skyrocket.

Vietnam/Cambodia looking like the new Thailand for many not prepared to pony up for Elite/get married or work visa.

13 hours ago, freedomnow said:

I think best to use Vientane for 2 TVs before looking elsewhere, but the game is up soon for TV runners with this face/finger scanner system coming in -regardless of the strategy-  and everything more interlocked on borders soon

I don't see what that system has to do with entry, unless one is hiding behind multiple identities/passports.  Otherwise, your full history is available via the immigration-database, at every point of entry.

The entry-problems are due to what the supervisor of an entry point decides, given they vary by entry-point. 

...plus online pre-approval applications will come in soon enough around Thailand...

When/if ...

they are going all out to break the monkey's back regarding long-stay on TV/Ed. visas

They are happy with EDs, provided their demanded payoffs are made.  Same with retired, married, etc.

now the Chinese numbers are projected to skyrocket.

That all depends on the Chinese economy long-term.  While I would not make a hard-prediction (not an expert), I think it's in a bubble-stage.

Vietnam/Cambodia looking like the new Thailand for many not prepared to pony up for Elite/get married or work visa.

Agree on this - would recommend these to any younger folks, especially .  But even if you get married, depending on which office you use, be prepared to fork over 25K or so, in agent-laundered payoff money, to keep immigration happy. 

As long as you never had a canceled-fight or other short-overstay, and don't mind burning a pile of money for permission to spend more of your own money in Thailand's economy, Elite could work.  But even if on Elite, don't forget to submit a TM-30 at immigration every time you leave your last-registered address for more than 24 hrs, in case you get caught up in a raid.

Edited by JackThompson

11 minutes ago, cowbee said:

I also had red mark from vientiene. Do I still able to apply TR visa in savanakhet?

I doubt it.  As soon as you get the "remark stamp" on a Visa, it's time to get a new passport ASAP, if intending to continue coming to Thailand using Tourist Visas. 

You could do a Visa-Exempt by friendly land-border, if you have not done 2 this year, and do not have enough time left on your current permitted-stay for a new passport. 

You could also sign up at a school, and get an ED Visa (a tourist remark-stamp won't matter), though the paperwork to prepare for your trip for the ED Visa is reported to take more time now than in the past.

Edited by JackThompson

I doubt it.  As soon as you get the "remark stamp" on a Visa, it's time to get a new passport ASAP, if intending to continue coming to Thailand using Tourist Visas. 

You could do a Visa-Exempt by friendly land-border, if you have not done 2 this year, and do not have enough time left on your current permitted-stay for a new passport. 

You could also sign up at a school, and get an ED Visa (a tourist remark-stamp won't matter), though the paperwork to prepare for your trip for the ED Visa is reported to take more time now than in the past.

Thanks. But I heard that ASEAN country got unlimited from land border?

This is my 2nd year of school so I need to wait about 3 months before applying for my 2nd ED visa

I’ve go to my embassy in Bangkok. They would not issue a new passport. They cannot issue a new passport except for permanent residence and/or 1 year visa holder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, cowbee said:

But I heard that ASEAN country got unlimited from land border?

Not all of them. Only Cambodia and Laos that have a bilateral agreements with Thailand. Singapore as well due to a directive and Malaysia at their common border with here.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/28/2019 at 7:28 PM, freedomnow said:

I think best to use Vientane for 2 TVs before looking elsewhere, but the game is up soon for TV runners with this face/finger scanner system coming in -regardless of the strategy-  and everything more interlocked on borders soon...plus online pre-approval applications will come in soon enough around Thailand...they are going all out to break the monkey's back regarding long-stay on TV/Ed. visas now the Chinese numbers are projected to skyrocket.

this was the 7th tourist visa total in the current passport. 

has anyone successfully gotten a tourist visa in penang while having a past remark on a visa?

i never use land entry visa exempt so i figure i can do one of those. i just dont know what they think about just passing through immigration and immediately turning around with a heavy stay history in thailand. 

Edited by at15