U.S. says it expects North Korea to uphold promise to give up nuclear arms

webfact

U.S. says it expects North Korea to uphold promise to give up nuclear arms

By Lesley Wroughton

2018-07-31T163529Z_1_LYNXMPEE6U18F_RTROPTP_4_USA-RELIGION-STATE.JPG

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo speaks at a press conference at the Ministerial to Advance Religious Freedom at the State Department in Washington, U.S., July 26, 2018. REUTERS/Alex Wroblewski

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. State Department said on Tuesday it expects Pyongyang to keep its commitment made at a June leaders' summit to give up its nuclear arms and would press southeast Asian nations during meetings this week to maintain sanctions against North Korea.

Questions have arisen over Pyongyang's commitment to denuclearize after U.S. spy satellite material detected renewed activity at the North Korean factory that produced the country's first intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs) capable of reaching the United States.

The department left open the possibility that Secretary of State Mike Pompeo could meet North Korean officials during meetings of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) bloc in Singapore this weekend.

"We will be in some of the same meetings as North Korean officials. I certainly can't preclude any interaction taking place, but we have no meetings on the schedule," State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert told reporters.

Another State Department official, who earlier briefed reporters on Pompeo's trip to Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia this week, said the secretary would remind ASEAN to adhere to sanctions against Pyongyang. There are concerns that fuel is being sold illegally to North Korea despite U.N. sanctions, the official said.

The official said that North Korea will participate in a 27-nation regional ASEAN forum on Saturday that Pompeo will also attend.

"We remain concerned about the scale of North Korea's illicit procurement, in particular of refined petroleum products via U.N.-prohibited ship-to-ship transfers," the official said.

Under the restrictions, Pyongyang is limited to importing 4 million barrels of crude and 500,000 barrels of products a year.

Pompeo has led talks with Pyongyang to denuclearize following a June summit between North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and U.S. President Donald Trump.

Nauert said the United States was holding Kim to the commitment he made during the summit to denuclearize.

She declined to comment on the spy satellite images.

"What we are going on is the commitment that Chairman Kim made to our president, and that is the commitment to denuclearize. That is something that we certainly anticipate that he will hold up his end of the bargain," Nauert said.

One photo image showed a truck and covered trailer similar to those the North has used to move its ICBMs. Since the trailer was covered, it was not possible to know what, if anything, it was carrying.

Photos and infrared imaging, however, indicate vehicles moving in and out of the facility at Sanumdong, but do not show how advanced any missile construction might be.

The evidence obtained this month is the latest to suggest ongoing activity in North Korea's nuclear and missile facilities. Trump declared soon after the summit that North Korea no longer posed a nuclear threat.

(Reporting by Lesley Wroughton; Editing by James Dalgleish)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-08-01

Hang on.  The thread about North Korea's ICBM construction had Trump fans telling us that this wasn't a problem as nothing has been promised yet, but now the US State Dept says Kim already made a commitment to give them up.  Far be it for me to accuse Trump fans of lying, maybe they were just confused and unable to comprehend what came out of the Singapore meeting?  I'm sure their other false arguments in support of the baby president are also due to a lack of ability to understand what he is really doing.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Face it. Diet Orange got trumped. He negotiated a terrible deal. All in a desperate attempt to save face. He asked Kim for concessions, and he got none. So, he walked away from the meeting with nothing. He gave up concessions in return for nothing. Now, they expect Kim to honor the nothing that they got? No treaties signed. No non proliferation deals signed. Just a hand shake from Kim, and some kimchee. 

Tiny Don. The art of I cannot negotiate a deal to save my life. I cannot negotiate my way out of a paper bag. Moving America backwards at a breath taking and astonishing pace. Definitely, without a doubt NOT making America great again, but rather diminishing the nation to a pale shadow of it's former self. The amazing work of the tangerine tornado. 

I will make the comment that I made previously again............

Nero fiddled while Rome burned.

I am sure that the Romans of the time thought that Nero was a great man too.

Trump is the beginning of the end for the US empire.  It may not happen overnight but it won't take long if history is any indication.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Face it. Diet Orange got trumped. He negotiated a terrible deal. All in a desperate attempt to save face. He asked Kim for concessions, and he got none. So, he walked away from the meeting with nothing. He gave up concessions in return for nothing. Now, they expect Kim to honor the nothing that they got? No treaties signed. No non proliferation deals signed. Just a hand shake from Kim, and some kimchee.....

there was no deal.  it was a gettin'ta'meetcha summit.  no concessions were made by either side.  they shared some beautiful chocolate cake and agreed to talk some more later.  that is all.

nk has handed over some remains, the us has suspended some war games.  talks and negotiations continue.

you might like to read the actual text of the joint statement from the summit.  it's pretty short, lots of diplomatic speak, with vague commitments to really try hard to come to an agreement sometime in the future.

you may read the full text here:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/12/full-text-of-the-trump-kim-summit-agreement.html

1 hour ago, ChouDoufu said:

there was no deal.  it was a gettin'ta'meetcha summit.  no concessions were made by either side.  they shared some beautiful chocolate cake and agreed to talk some more later.  that is all.

nk has handed over some remains, the us has suspended some war games.  talks and negotiations continue.

you might like to read the actual text of the joint statement from the summit.  it's pretty short, lots of diplomatic speak, with vague commitments to really try hard to come to an agreement sometime in the future.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/12/full-text-of-the-trump-kim-summit-agreement.html

Donald Trump does not agree with your interpretation:

"Speaking to reporters, Trump said Obama told him North Korea’s nuclear weapons were the “most dangerous problem” facing the US. “I have solved that problem,” Trump said. “Now we’re getting it memorialized and all but that problem is largely solved.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jun/15/antsy-and-bored-trump-nearly-left-kim-summit-in-peril-report-says

11 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

But the point is that Destructo Donny walked away claiming a great victory and major concessions, when there was nothing but hot air. He always does the same thing. Of all the American presidents we have had, the tangerine tornado has the most bizarre relationship with truth. Truth, honesty, and integrity, are his own personal kryptonite. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Trump receives 'nice' new letter from North Korean leader Kim Jong Un

The White House said Thursday that President Trump received a new letter from North Korean leader Kim Jong Un following up on their Singapore summit. ..

Trump tweeted early Thursday his thanks to the North Korean leader “for your nice letter — I look forward to seeing you soon!”

The White House did not provide details on the specific content of the letter, which was received Wednesday. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny-news-trump-letter-north-korea-kim-20180802-story.html