Residency

Aust-B1945 Previous post about import of 79 VB --More importantly intend to enter Thailand on Type "O" multi journey either to visit relatives or "other" whichever is more appropriate (may decide to teach english next year). Could you advise on this and standard time frame for aquiring residency?(Acknowledge visa run per 90 days is standard requirement until residency can be aquired). ???

Without 3 yearly extensions of the visa type you plan to get back-to-back you can not even apply.  So unless you qualify for extensions the time frame would be 'a long time'.

Visa run is not done if you want to obtain residency.

Maybe I should start again. I will be moving to Thailand later this year and intend to pursue residency.

My understanding was 'one was better off to enter on a non immig Type 'O' multi journey' I am also of the understanding that this type visa although valid in itself for 1 year still has a 90 day stay proviso.

I would now ask for clarification and happy to receive advice on the more correct or appropriate path to follow. :o

lopburi3 thank you for the comment it prompted me to go off and do some more research(homework).

If you have resided in Thailand for 3 years on consecutive 1 year visas with no defaults like overstays and you want to reside in Thailand thereafter, there is provision where you can apply for a residence permit. Foreigners with non- immigrant visas who have resided in Thailand continuously for three years (on 1-year visa extensions), may apply for permanent residency.

Applicants for residency also need a working permit issued by the Thai Ministry of Labour or Labour Office.

I had received advice from the consulate in Sydney re 12 months visas requiring to be Ok'd every 3 months (which i interpreted to mean 3 monthly visa run obiously i was wrong)

My reading now seems to indicate.

Apply for non-immg visa code 'O' in country of departure (my case Sydney/Brisbane) duration of first permit 90 days then apply to Immigration for a 1 year extension x 3 times etc.

Sorry if I had it by the wrong end  but prefer to sort out what "one" can and can't do, so as too minmise the room for rejection in the long term as we are coming to Thailand to stay.

Thanks again for the comment no doubt I will receive more just treat me gently to start 555.

:o

Born 1945 yes 57

Prefer at this stage not to go down the Cat O retirement track for the 'not allowed to work reason'.

I believe the RTCG Sydney would (??) Although on most recent visit to LOS Mar 03 travelled on non immg cat O Single entry issue from RTCG Sydney, Purpose of journey to visit relatives and make arrangements for oldest boy to return to Sriboonyanon School Nonthaburi (his choice?? age 16)

Back in 2002 I recieved non immg cat O multiple journeys from the Royal Thai Consulate-General Brisbane.

Onto a little different topic "import of secondhand motor vehicles" as mentioned in first post 1979 Holden Commodore

a hobby vehicle is there an import category for classic vehicle or who can I talk/communicate with to establish the $ viability of importing the said vehicle?

If you plan to extend a single entry non immigrant visa based on your marriage is all you need.  But the multi entry gives you insurance in the event an extension were not granted (you would only require a border crossing for another 90 days).

The procedure is you enter on a non immigrant visa, after about 80 days provide the paperwork for a one year extension.  If done in Bangkok they will extend your current entry for 45 days to cover the decision period.  You then return and get stamped up to the day prior to your 90 day visa entry (one year total).  A few days prior to this new date you go through the same procedure each year.

The 90 day requirement after you have a yearly visa is only for reporting your current address.  This is done incountry and by mail if outside of Bangkok.  In Bangkok it can be done in person or by sending someone in your place with the signed paperwork.

In any case you can not import anything until after your extension is approved AFAIK.  And it can be expensive.

LOP'     tell him about the money in the bank
That was part of the paperwork.  If you still have money in the bank after 80 days here with the wife obtain bank letter confirming an amount on deposit of 200k+ within the week to present to immigration along with bank passbook and copies of each page.  But I believe you probably already know all that.

Hopefully will have a few shillings+ left after 80 days for the  200+ in the bank, was not aware of this but is now on the check & do list.

Thank you for your assistance and i look forward to saying hello in person one day in the future. ::o: