Thai award tickets - seriously disappointed

MRToMRT

For years I have been using one of those amex cards that gets air miles (on Thai) and I finally decided to convert them all for a trip to Europe starting in London.

What a disappointment - virtually everyday I try has no availability in any class. Could not find a single business class or Prem economy available for the rest of the year, found about 10 with economy and a few days with first.

Does anyone have any tips on how to use these miles as whole time periods are blocked out on the Thai site with no availability (n/a) - literally about 99% over next few months. I was also told that over xmas period the use of award tickets in blocked. I don't see any point in using the amex card to collect miles anymore - better to use MasterCard and then I can at least save points for some white goods instead of flights.

Seriously disappointed and frustrated so far. Any tips?

Unless the system has changed radically, I have never had a problem on booking award flights, and enjoyed maybe a dozen or so over the years. I always go through my regular travel agent as opposed to trying to book with Thai airways direct, as they always get the dates I require. Try an agent and see how you go.

I have redeeemed miles for flights/upgrades many times on TG over the years. Your observations are generally correct in my experience. Also the tax means that redeeming for short haul flights is not very attractive either. 

It used to be very easy to redeem eg I could book less than 1 week in advance. However, in past 2-3 years TG seems  to have gradually adopted the policies of airlines like BA where they allocate a very limited number of seats on a flight for redemption tickets making it much harder to use the miles on most routes. The route to London is very popular and so it is even harder to get availability than others. Last time I redeemed I had to fly into another NW Europe airport but managed to get a flight out from LHR to match my dates

Also the process of redeeming through other Star Alliance airlines such as Eva does not seem easy/attractive. 

Your observations are correct.

My wife and I just came back from Paris on award ticket roundtrip. But I had to book nearly one year in advance for those economy class tickets. 

Christmas and New Year is nearly impossible. 

I also collect TG miles exclusively with my Citibank Thai credit card and have accumulated enough to redeem a round trip for 2 people again. But the planning in advance really makes it hard. Quite annoying to promote the TG miles collection aggressively but then failing to provide the opportunity to redeem the miles.

57 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

I always understood the airlines only offer  a few  seats of their choosing for any rewards programs.

Agree on that statement, most airlines only allocate certain number of seats for these award programs, and usually you need to book several months in advance  to secure seats, I used a Amex platinum edge card for a number of years, transferring points to ROP, always had to book several months in advance. 

I have travelled about 200-250,000 miles per year for the last 15 years mainly on Emirates but on other airlines to. In general over this period the rewards year on year that the airlines are giving you have become less and less and the restrictions more and more. 

On Emirates though its usually possible to get a reward flight within a day or so of when i want to travel. As mentioned by bbz Christmas or as i call the silly season is impossible. 

It depends on your circumstances but it might be better if you can to book hotel stays if you can on your miles and reverse this around. Pay for the flight tickets and travel when you want knowing that you will get the money back for the flights by not paying for the hotels on your trip. Also car rental might be an option to be included if you can.

Also the airport taxes in Europe are expensive and you have to pay this on top i assume if you are using miles.

Another option possibly is to book an economy seat and try to upgrade with miles at check in. Risky but again planning. Pick a flight that is empty in business class. 

A bit of work required on an excel sheet to cross reference all the costs to look for the best value but it could be worth it. Good planning always makes sense.

I did try once converting LH miles into TG miles. It didn't make sense. They say they are partners but they are not in real terms they are not.

I have accumulated a lot of miles on several different airlines and my experience is that limited seat availability is a common thread with all of them. As posted above, TG used to be easy up until a few years ago, especially back when they had the dedicated Royal Orchid Gold reservations staff, which are now gone.

With TG, I have had Royal Orchid Gold status for a long time. I found that if you go to the dedicated ROG agent at TG HQ, they can sometimes open up some seats for you. I have had that experience twice and was very grateful for their help.

Speaking of Emirates – I found their add-on taxes and fees for a free ticket to be exorbitant. I paid something like US$900 in fees for a free one way business class ticket ticket from IAD - BKK. Fortunately, you can burn miles for free stuff at their Emirates High Street online shop.

A good way to spend Skywards airmiles on Emirates is to upgrade from Economy to Business. Flying to the UK there are additional charges to pay, but flying to Australia recently there was no extra to pay.

The only thing that bugs about that was half the time I’d get upgraded anyway...

Top tip on flying Emirates and leaving the UK. If you upgrade using miles from economy to business at check in they charge you 60 quid for the difference in the air passenger duty. If you wait until you are on board no charge. Same miles used.

On 8/3/2018 at 11:11 AM, Snow Leopard said:

I have travelled about 200-250,000 miles per year for the last 15 years mainly on Emirates but on other airlines to. In general over this period the rewards year on year that the airlines are giving you have become less and less and the restrictions more and more. 

On Emirates though its usually possible to get a reward flight within a day or so of when i want to travel. As mentioned by bbz Christmas or as i call the silly season is impossible. 

It depends on your circumstances but it might be better if you can to book hotel stays if you can on your miles and reverse this around. Pay for the flight tickets and travel when you want knowing that you will get the money back for the flights by not paying for the hotels on your trip. Also car rental might be an option to be included if you can.

Also the airport taxes in Europe are expensive and you have to pay this on top i assume if you are using miles.

Another option possibly is to book an economy seat and try to upgrade with miles at check in. Risky but again planning. Pick a flight that is empty in business class. 

A bit of work required on an excel sheet to cross reference all the costs to look for the best value but it could be worth it. Good planning always makes sense.

I did try once converting LH miles into TG miles. It didn't make sense. They say they are partners but they are not in real terms they are not.

You do rack up  the mileage Mate.  
Sounds like you may have what it takes to be a  member of this ultra elite group I’ve read about.
I could get used to it easily I think.
The air in those lounges (clubs) must be indescribably  rarified.

The secret invitation-only airline clubs for the highest flyers

Forget about those fancy first class lounges and shiny platinum frequent flyer cards. The highest of the high flyers have their own super-exclusive havens and typically carry a black card that may as well be made of unobtanium.
Welcome – or in the vast majority of cases, not welcome – to the secret world of invitation-only airline clubs.
These are private airport lounges behind unmarked doors, and the elite who glide through them enjoy privileges and perks that come with being designated a very, very important person.

•  

34 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

You do rack up  the mileage Mate.  
Sounds like you may have what it takes to be a  member of this ultra elite group I’ve read about.
I could get used to it easily I think.
The air in those lounges (clubs) must be indescribably  rarified.

The secret invitation-only airline clubs for the highest flyers

Forget about those fancy first class lounges and shiny platinum frequent flyer cards. The highest of the high flyers have their own super-exclusive havens and typically carry a black card that may as well be made of unobtanium.
Welcome – or in the vast majority of cases, not welcome – to the secret world of invitation-only airline clubs.
These are private airport lounges behind unmarked doors, and the elite who glide through them enjoy privileges and perks that come with being designated a very, very important person.

•  

I do know about these mate. Especially the IO one from Emirates. Unfortunately i am lowly grunt who does most of my flying in Economy praying for a free upgrade to business. In my case and where and the amount i have to travel i don't complain so much. If i went everywhere Business Class it wouldn't be economical for my company. Its better to have a job first i think with good benefits and salary. Emirates needs you to travel in First Class most of the time. Not even in Business. If i flew in First Class everywhere it would amount to the GDP of a small country.

I find these days that hotels have the best loyalty programs. I think i could live nearly a year in a Holiday Inn. Not saying i would want to BTW.

Anyway i only have another 18 months of the flying crap left. After that i will drive everywhere for a few years at least. 

You don't have to credit the miles to the airline you're flying on. You can credit to other airlines in the alliance they belong too.  For Star Alliance, many choose United or Air Canada. For One World, I always choose American. Easy to get award tickets on United and American and most of the time you don't pay those exorbitant "fuel surcharge" fees. If Alaska Air is a partner, then that's a good choice also. Look at the earn miles and use miles sections of their websites.

In the last 4 years I've done over 10 roundtrip (RT) awards (Newark/JFK-BKK) on mostly Cathay and JAL (One World) but also used United miles for Star members like Austrian, Thai, United and others. This includes 2 first class trips, one each on Cathay and JAL. The Cathay tickets would have cost $24,000 USD but my cost was 135K miles plus $120 in fees. On Cathay there are only 6 seats in first class, 2 flight attendance, 2 large bathrooms, caviar and $200 bottles of champagne (US prices). They treat you like you're a rock star or own a small country. Definitely was fun and only time I wished the JFK-HKG flight lasted longer than 15 hours.

Unfortunately it now costs 210K miles for first class RT. They also increased the number of miles you need now need for business class, so it's currently 140K American miles for a roundtrip from US-Asia2 zone (Southeast Asia plus China) and 160K United miles for similar routing. 

I've probably spent 10,000 hours over the last 12 years on this site: www.flyertalk.com. It's the place to go if you're into maximizing free or almost free travel. 

18 hours ago, Snow Leopard said:

I do know about these mate. Especially the IO one from Emirates. Unfortunately i am lowly grunt who does most of my flying in Economy praying for a free upgrade to business. In my case and where and the amount i have to travel i don't complain so much. If i went everywhere Business Class it wouldn't be economical for my company. Its better to have a job first i think with good benefits and salary. Emirates needs you to travel in First Class most of the time. Not even in Business. If i flew in First Class everywhere it would amount to the GDP of a small country.

I find these days that hotels have the best loyalty programs. I think i could live nearly a year in a Holiday Inn. Not saying i would want to BTW.

Anyway i only have another 18 months of the flying crap left. After that i will drive everywhere for a few years at least. 

Marriott and IHG (Holiday Inn, Intercontinental, Crowne Plaza, etc) have good programs  but they're not close to being as good as some airline programs. If you stay at Intercontinental hotels more than a couple of times a year, use your IHG points or buy an Ambassador membership. You'll get upgrades and other freebies that are worth the cost of the membership.

If you have 200K Marriott points, you can covert them to a free week at many Marriotts and 50K airline miles which is a good deal.

You don't have to credit the miles to the airline you're flying on. You can credit to other airlines in the alliance they belong too.  For Star Alliance, many choose United or Air Canada. For One World, I always choose American. Easy to get award tickets on United and American and most of the time you don't pay those exorbitant "fuel surcharge" fees. If Alaska Air is a partner, then that's a good choice also. Look at the earn miles and use miles sections of their websites.

In the last 4 years I've done over 10 roundtrip (RT) awards (Newark/JFK-BKK) on mostly Cathay and JAL (One World) but also used United miles for Star members like Austrian, Thai, United and others. This includes 2 first class trips, one each on Cathay and JAL. The Cathay tickets would have cost $24,000 USD but my cost was 135K miles plus $120 in fees. On Cathay there are only 6 seats in first class, 2 flight attendance, 2 large bathrooms, caviar and $200 bottles of champagne (US prices). They treat you like you're a rock star or own a small country. Definitely was fun and only time I wished the JFK-HKG flight lasted longer than 15 hours.

Unfortunately it now costs 210K miles for first class RT. They also increased the number of miles you need now need for business class, so it's currently 140K American miles for a roundtrip from US-Asia2 zone (Southeast Asia plus China) and 160K United miles for similar routing. 

I've probably spent 10,000 hours over the last 12 years on this site: www.flyertalk.com. It's the place to go if you're into maximizing free or almost free travel. 

10,000 hours is free?

(Just kidding)

On 8/3/2018 at 9:45 AM, watcharacters said:

I always understood the airlines only offer  a few  seats of their choosing for any rewards programs.

Nope..I go to the united website and can punch in a date and will get about 50 choices between Washington and BKK.

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

10,000 hours is free?

(Just kidding)

There are hobbies/vices that cost money and other hobbies that cost time. This particular hobby is fortunately one that only costs time because I have a couple too many hobbies/vices that cost $$. 

Archived