Car glass coating, worth paying 30000+ when a bottle costs less than 5000 ? Perfect Thai scam...

gaff

hello,

What do you think about car glass coating (quartz coating or any other stupid name that they use) is worth paying as much or more than 30000+ when what is used to do it costs around 5000 thb ?

This is in my opinion pure scam for people who were not able to buy a nice car and have a to drive a cheap japanese car ?

OK, I understand that there is a prep to be done before coating, but since when 1 day work on a car costs 25000 thb in Thailand ? Especially done by farmers ?!

And for this price they pretend that they will re-coat your car in case the coating left, but this coating is not supposed to leave before 3 years, so they actually never re-coat anything.

But I could be wrong, please tell me, and not only what you saw in your dreams, but real facts when you have seen them re-coating your car before the end of the 3 years plan ? And not when they TOLD you that they did it, only when you have SEEN that they did it. Because most of the people I know keep repeating that they re-coat every time they visit the coating shop. What a BS ! But not surprised that Thai just believe.

Maybe more acceptable, some places do a 1 time coating for 10000 thb, which means something like 5000 labor for 1 day work, maybe more acceptable. Any experience ?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, gaff said:

Nothing mixed up.

Sounds more like you have got your medication mixed up. If you cant help feeling a few thousand Baht spent , to protect a few million Baht of vehicle , isnt money well spent , it might be best to stick to the Baht-bus. 

2 minutes ago, ktm jeff said:

Sounds more like you have got your medication mixed up. If you cant help feeling a few thousand Baht spent , to protect a few million Baht of vehicle , isnt money well spent , it might be best to stick to the Baht-bus. 

please tell which model car do you own thats worth a  a few million Baht of vehicle??

Strange these people always exposing yet another scam in Thailand.

<groan>

Many business around the world have high charges to allow for overheads, cost of equipment, rent, labour etc.

and (hello) they actually do need to make some money or may as well stay at home!

but when its Thailand people seem to think a business should make nothing or its a scam.lol

last time i had a car, in (another) country, in that place the mechanic boss charges

$140 per hour labour 

all parts needed + added 200 or 300% of the cost to charge you. pure profit for nothing!

and the poor guy who just working there, well he gets about $15 hour.

thats what i call a scam!

My run-around in England is a BMW 3 series M convertible. Labour charges are 8,400 Baht per hour. 4 shocks cost 75,000 to replace - dam pot holes. I try to take care of my cars and bikes , its like a hobby. Spending 30K on a 20 year old Nissan isnt value. But for a more expensive car , i think it is. As with any job , done anywhere in the world , do your research and make sure its done right.  If you dont know anything about the subject , read and learn , then take some one with you and watch carefully. Ceramic seems better than crystal , but is 30K not 10K. Buy what suits your circumstances /pocket best. Joe W seems to be the expert. Read and learn what he says , and go from there.

Yea I understand what you're saying man .. It does sound very excessive to treat a car .. But for a new or fairly new car it can help protect the paint before the sun starts to age it .. There are numerous products out there that will allow you to do itself .. Autoglym have a good range as do  Meguiars .. I bought a new cruiser 2 yrs ago and did it once over with below when it was a couple of days old .. everytime I've washed it since the rinse water still runs off the paintwork in beads kinda indicating it still quite effective .. If you use these treatments on paint that ain't so new wash the motah thoroughly first then if you use a revive compound use a finer grade than T - cut as that can be a bit course on modern water based paints .. Use again a good quality polish before putting on a sealer .. Claybar is another that some of the custom scene swear by .. All of this does take time which is why people will pay to have it done ..

IMG_20180802_120441.jpg

5 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

The problem is that it protects nothing except in your head. So the meds are for you, not for me...

5 hours ago, Lamkyong said:

please tell which model car do you own thats worth a  a few million Baht of vehicle??

S-class, but why ? it is not in topic, so it's useless to even ask.

5 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

I hope it doesnt sound like bragging , but my most expensive car is a Bentley LWB Turbo - RT model.  How about you.

who cares your life ? is it the question ask ? why so many low life are posting when they will never be concerned by the topic ?!

5 hours ago, tingtongtourist said:

Strange these people always exposing yet another scam in Thailand.

<groan>

Many business around the world have high charges to allow for overheads, cost of equipment, rent, labour etc.

and (hello) they actually do need to make some money or may as well stay at home!

but when its Thailand people seem to think a business should make nothing or its a scam.lol

last time i had a car, in (another) country, in that place the mechanic boss charges

$140 per hour labour 

all parts needed + added 200 or 300% of the cost to charge you. pure profit for nothing!

and the poor guy who just working there, well he gets about $15 hour.

thats what i call a scam!

This is why charging 5000 thb labor for 1 day work of farmers (what else are they in a car care ?) who get 300 thb is over the top.

5 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Yea I understand what you're saying man .. It does sound very excessive to treat a car .. But for a new or fairly new car it can help protect the paint before the sun starts to age it .. There are numerous products out there that will allow you to do itself .. Autoglym have a good range as do  Meguiars .. I bought a new cruiser 2 yrs ago and did it once over with below when it was a couple of days old .. everytime I've washed it since the rinse water still runs off the paintwork in beads kinda indicating it still quite effective .. If you use these treatments on paint that ain't so new wash the motah thoroughly first then if you use a revive compound use a finer grade than T - cut as that can be a bit course on modern water based paints .. Use again a good quality polish before putting on a sealer .. Claybar is another that some of the custom scene swear by .. All of this does take time which is why people will pay to have it done ..

IMG_20180802_120441.jpg

Thank you but are you sure that it's the question asked ?

Nobody seems to even have any idea about what is a car glass coating but keep speaking...

43 minutes ago, gaff said:

This is why charging 5000 thb labor for 1 day work of farmers (what else are they in a car care ?) who get 300 thb is over the top.

i dont really get what you try to say?

if it is..person A who is the abuser

of person B..who make a profit?

I would take a Japanese car over a Eurotrash electrical problem any day...but if you think a local has more knowledge about car pain than one of the most successful companies in the planet; get your head examined.  Even the under coatting is a big scam, and will often clog critical drain holes..you may also good your factory warranty.  The cars are ready to drive from the factory...

Could you please tell me what store is charging 30,000 +? I would really like to know. I know a few shops in Bangkok charging 30,000+ but those shops are also doing cars worth well over 5,000,000 THB. All staff trained in Japan at the HQ. 

18 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

I hope it doesnt sound like bragging , but my most expensive car is a Bentley LWB Turbo - RT model.  How about you.

Having a 20-year old Bentley RT, nice as it is, isn't bragging and they are not particularly expensive!  Neither were they offered as LWBs.  Did you stretch yours yourself?

20 hours ago, gaff said:

What do you think about car glass coating (quartz coating or any other stupid name that they use) is worth paying as much or more than 30000+ when what is used to do it costs around 5000 thb ?

This is in my opinion pure scam for people who were not able to buy a nice car and have a to drive a cheap japanese car ?

OK, I understand that there is a prep to be done before coating, but since when 1 day work on a car costs 25000 thb in Thailand ? Especially done by farmers ?!

Even though many think that "glass coatings" are a fine waste of money they are not a scam but they are very expensive to apply properly. 

The car has to be masked up and the underlying paintwork has to be perfectly prepared otherwise all you are doing is coating a bad surface (even if the car is new).  Doing that prep takes a long time and usually involves several people in a team, that is expensive even if you think that they are farmers.  If you want a cheaper job why not take the car to the NE and get a real farmer to do it?

3 hours ago, JoeW said:

Could you please tell me what store is charging 30,000 +? I would really like to know. I know a few shops in Bangkok charging 30,000+ but those shops are also doing cars worth well over 5,000,000 THB. All staff trained in Japan at the HQ. 

And you really believe ! hahahaha

Thai staff trained in Japan... hahaha...

You made my day !

Can't stop laughing hahahaha

And in case you still don't know, ALL care care charge at least 25000 thb for glass coating.

But where are you replies to the initial questions ? So why commenting if you have nothing useful to tell ?!

35 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Even though many think that "glass coatings" are a fine waste of money they are not a scam but they are very expensive to apply properly. 

The car has to be masked up and the underlying paintwork has to be perfectly prepared otherwise all you are doing is coating a bad surface (even if the car is new).  Doing that prep takes a long time and usually involves several people in a team, that is expensive even if you think that they are farmers.  If you want a cheaper job why not take the car to the NE and get a real farmer to do it?

Yes it's famous that labor is very expensive in Thailand !

25000 thb for half day work ! Really, why posting if you have nothing interesting and useful to tell ?!

The prep and coating takes less than 1 day and they charge 30000 for a product that costs less than 5000.

Anything else smart to add ? Go ahead, I like to laugh.

8 hours ago, JoeW said:

Joe , you seem to be the expert on this subject. I have found your information very interesting. Im a fan of Auto Glym and finish off with their extra gloss protection.  I will say that the new crystal / ceramic coatings seem to be better and when i buy a new car i will have it done. 30K isnt much compared to the car price. Would be interested in doing it myself too. I understand the prep is 90% of the work - isnt it always - and the liquid product is cheap. Do i want to be "mopping" in this heat. As with most things in life , if you cant afford it there are cheaper DIY products.

10 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Having a 20-year old Bentley RT, nice as it is, isn't bragging and they are not particularly expensive!  Neither were they offered as LWBs.  Did you stretch yours yourself?

You may want to do a little research. The RT model has an extra 10 cm ( 4 inches ) extra chassis length to give more rear leg room and fitted with the continental intercooled turbo engine.  Only 250 made 1n 1997/8. Mine is a 97 model , had for about 10 years. Its not as expensive as some people think , but as i said , its my most expensive car.

18 hours ago, gaff said:

Yes it's famous that labor is very expensive in Thailand !

25000 thb for half day work ! Really, why posting if you have nothing interesting and useful to tell ?!

The prep and coating takes less than 1 day and they charge 30000 for a product that costs less than 5000.

Anything else smart to add ? Go ahead, I like to laugh.

The thing that you have to bear in mind is that proper paint preparation (coating a car does not involve just coating it) is a skilled job and despite your disparaging, incorrect observation the ones that do it are not farmers.  I notice that in your OP you had the labour as a "days work", now you have got that down to half a day, what's next, is it going to be a thirty minute job in your mind?

I suppose that if you think that it is such a scam you don't have to pay the firms that charge B30k, get the job done by a company that charges half a day's farmer's labour costs and see what it looks like.  But, of course, there aren't any, because it's not a scam.  In my opinion it is a waste of money but that does not make it a scam.

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:36 PM, gaff said:

who cares your life ? is it the question ask ? why so many low life are posting when they will never be concerned by the topic ?!

Commenters here are now "low life's"?  Really?  You're the one making all the disparaging remarks about Thai workers!  Maybe you need to consider who is really the low life.

I tried glass coating, but it didn’t last long. For a little bit more money you can have a complete vinyl wrap which I did. Very happy with the result.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

9 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

You may want to do a little research. The RT model has an extra 10 cm ( 4 inches ) extra chassis length to give more rear leg room

Bentley never offered a LWB RT, it came as a standard length, it was just an RT.  A special factory order only could have got you a SWB RT but that was never officially offered so there was never a LWB version.  Using your logic, I could claim that 50 years ago my '68 Cortina 1600E was a 1968 Cortina1600E LWB.

7 hours ago, luk AJ said:

I tried glass coating, but it didn’t last long. For a little bit more money you can have a complete vinyl wrap which I did. Very happy with the result.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Good idea but some people said that that it cat be bad for the paint when you remove it ?

And where do you wrap for 30000 thb ?

thanks.

Archived