Why?????

1dayumay

So I have been traveling arround Southeast Asia, and compared the prices in every country and I find that Laos is the second most expensive country in Southeast Asia after Singapore, my money where gone there really quickly compared to about every other nations except Singapore.

what is the reason for that ??

• Like 2

Just now, sammieuk1 said:

Maybe your spending to much on whores and booze ? 

Just now, sammieuk1 said:

?? to be honest, no whores, but a few beers per day, But beers are cheap, like 15,000kip for a big beer Lao.

but hotels,motorbike rent, transportation and restaurants are expensive there, ok it’s not expensive compared to my home country, but to the rest of Southeast Asia.

11 hours ago, 1dayumay said:

Probably because of taxes, and higher salaries there. 

Higher salaries in Laos? :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Laos is seriously under developed.

Currently, the minimum salary in Vientiane, and as a matter of fact in whole Laos, was established by the government and became effective as of April 1st 2015 at the rate of 900.000 KIP, which translates into roughly 111 US dollars, considering the exchange rate in May 2016.

It is one of the lowest minimum salaries in the ASEAN region, only losing to Myanmar, which has a very problematic economy due to its recent history.

http://checkinprice.com/average-and-minimum-salary-in-vientiane-laos/

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Currently, the minimum salary in Vientiane, and as a matter of fact in whole Laos, was established by the government and became effective as of April 1st 2015 at the rate of 900.000 KIP, which translates into roughly 111 US dollars, considering the exchange rate in May 2016.

It is one of the lowest minimum salaries in the ASEAN region, only losing to Myanmar, which has a very problematic economy due to its recent history.

Depends on what you're doing. Teaching pays better than Thailand for the most part. I have 18 contact hours a month and clear $2200 plus paid vacation and health coverage. 

Hong Kong & Macau are a lot more expensive..... 

15000kip is only around 60thb, which is cheaper than almost anywhere in Thailand, for a 640ml beer. You can also rent homes cheaper, but have to put in the leg work. 

Worst thing in Laos are the tuk tuks.... serious rip off..... But busses are dirt cheap...... 

Really don't know how you came to this conclusion......... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Your reference source is out of date. The current minimum wage in Lao is about US$130 per month Vs Myanmar at $105

Hotel 4 stars in Vientiane was last year round 400 THB, beer is almost everywhere 60 THB,  Food good and cheap 

I couldn't experience anything like you had.

Bloody cheap over there. Ok, beside Tuk Tuk same rip off as here.

I guess you simply couldn't handle the big numbers.

Its the same in Indonesia I was in January till April, 300000 IDR for a good Hotel sound a lot but is just 25 US$.

Hence when you go to a Bank and change 500 $ they throw a crap load of worthless paper at you and as fast it comes as fast it goes..  

Or you have been simply ripped off big time, big nose = big wallet as everywhere in Asia. :hit-the-fan:

19 hours ago, 1dayumay said:

?? to be honest, no whores, but a few beers per day, But beers are cheap, like 15,000kip for a big beer Lao.

but hotels,motorbike rent, transportation and restaurants are expensive there, ok it’s not expensive compared to my home country, but to the rest of Southeast Asia.

Here now and i would say taxis and food cost more in Laos.

19 hours ago, 1dayumay said:

21 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Beer Lao is cheaper the Thai Leo, and better. Prostitution in Laos is (very) illegal. Maybe our friend never left Singapore, just went to Sentosa.  ? 

5 hours ago, Cereal said:

Depends on what you're doing. Teaching pays better than Thailand for the most part. I have 18 contact hours a month and clear $2200 plus paid vacation and health coverage. 

just find this very hard to believe,
at a school?
what are ur qualifications?

21 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

just find this very hard to believe,
at a school?
what are ur qualifications?

It's the best job in Laos. Took some good luck and great timing to land. The average teacher has been there over a decade. Turnover is extremely low. I have an appropriate degree, 16 years working in the field and 13 teaching. 

Just a guess but laos and vientiane in particular seem very reliant on the visa economy. 99% of anyone I ever spoke to in vientiane was passing through for a visa. Maybe that is why it is so expensive for tuk tuk and hotels. Food ins cheaper if you eat street food and go off the beaten tracks. Great street food inn vientiane at great prices.

9 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Gotta disagree there, I spend a lot of time in Viet Nam and it's cheaper than Thailand for most things.

What exactly is cheaper there?

A simple soup costs 30-40THB in Thailand, In Vietnam this costs about 30k to 40k VND = 43 to 57THB

A bottle of water in a supermarket in Thailand costs about 13 THB, in Vietnam about 16 THB

You find a similar price difference in nearly all every day things

In Bangkok you can easily find a nice hotel for under 1000THB, in Hanoi or HCM that's not impossible, but way more difficult, and often the room is then quite small.

The only thing that i'm aware of which is indeed cheaper in Vietnam are fake clothes, because the fake clothes sold in Thailand mostly come from Vietnam.