'No repeat of devastating 2011 floods'

webfact

1 hour ago, starky said:

I'm not stupid Robb just your level of conceit and self importance baffles me. At least I won't insult you which seems your fall back response to posts which contradict your highly regarded concept of knowledge on all things Thai. If you could please tell me how your keeping an eye on things could stop a repeat of what happened to you in 2011? I would be most interested to know.

I wont insult you but you did not see the obvious, I was not talking about preventing a repeat of 2011 for the country. I was talking about keeping an eye on it for me so this time I would leave on time make the right preparations. I was stuck for over a month in my village at 2011. Now if the reports show water coming and i can confirm it then I leave with my dog. Last time I could not leave because of my dogs. You seem to have a bone to pick with me and read things in a post that just are not there. 

That is why I questioned your intelligence, how could I prevent a repeat of 2011 for a country.. nobody can. But one can prevent a repeat on a personal level and be better prepared. I would have thought it was obvious. 

To add.. if you followed crossie his topic last year on how he kept an eye out for water increases as he is on the river and how he gave water level information out on a day to day basis you would have understood even more. That was the whole keeping an eye out.

I am not King Canute.

Had you not flamed me I had not insulted you. You started it.

Edited by robblok

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 3:21 PM, starky said:

I'm not stupid Robb just your level of conceit and self importance baffles me. At least I won't insult you which seems your fall back response to posts which contradict your highly regarded concept of knowledge on all things Thai. If you could please tell me how your keeping an eye on things could stop a repeat of what happened to you in 2011? I would be most interested to know.

You missed the point Rob was making. Since 2006-07 there was a flood mitigation plan drawn up wit the best Thai Professor and submitted. Abhisit and Suthep along with the Governor of Bangkok stopped the plan as some restaurants/business' would have views blocked. Ur guess as to what happened then $$$$. 2011 floods caused a lot of damage. Rob lives a little bit up country and works up there. He gets around. All that is said now is talk, but no positive measures have been put in place. 2006-07 there was a coup, 2011 Yingluck had just taken over while Abhisit had done nothing on his watch. Why Ying luck didn't move on this problem need to go back and see what was happening. Rob just a right wing Dutch man, but if you talk to him u will have a conversation. Not always worth shooting the messenger. By the way I am a radical humanist and I can talk to Rob.

8 hours ago, Chris Lawrence said:

Why Ying luck didn't move on this problem need to go back and see what was happening. 

She waded in a little bit, in her Burberry boots. It's true, no past government can hold their head up high on this issue, they all just keep their fingers crossed and kick the can down the road. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

She waded in a little bit, in her Burberry boots. It's true, no past government can hold their head up high on this issue, they all just keep their fingers crossed and kick the can down the road. 

No government can hold their head up high against mother nature. Climate changes intensified the problems. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chris Lawrence said:

You missed the point Rob was making. Since 2006-07 there was a flood mitigation plan drawn up wit the best Thai Professor and submitted. Abhisit and Suthep along with the Governor of Bangkok stopped the plan as some restaurants/business' would have views blocked. Ur guess as to what happened then $$$$. 2011 floods caused a lot of damage. Rob lives a little bit up country and works up there. He gets around. All that is said now is talk, but no positive measures have been put in place. 2006-07 there was a coup, 2011 Yingluck had just taken over while Abhisit had done nothing on his watch. Why Ying luck didn't move on this problem need to go back and see what was happening. Rob just a right wing Dutch man, but if you talk to him u will have a conversation. Not always worth shooting the messenger. By the way I am a radical humanist and I can talk to Rob.

I am only right win in some aspects, mainly about being self sufficient and against the endless cycle of being dependent on the government. Remember the farmers, i said then you can't just help one group.. now you got the teachers.. who is next. Government handouts don't work, structural changes do work. I am the teach a man to fish instead of giving them fish. So yes economically speaking I am certainly right wing. Quite liberal on most other topics. 

You summed it up nicely, but all governments had their chance to do something PTP goverments were in charge most of the time. So they had their chance too. I never knew that Abhisit and Suthep blocked a plan like that but I take your word for it. I don't think just making some dams in BKK will solve it. I think a lot has to be done upstream of BKK. Anyway as you said they are all talk. Though I don't really get it those dams should be an moneymaker too so what stops them. Its probably as i said..YL got her money from her plans already.. then Prayut cancelled them and made new and got his money.. who is next wil cancel the plans again. 

Or its even worse.. that none of them really want to spend the money on it as it takes money away from other budgets so they accept the flooding. 

In this topic I was only stating I will keep an eye out so I can leave... and / or prepare the house a bit better for my leaving. I can vividly remember the 2011 flood and what I had to do. Over a month here in the village.. its doable once... but I  prefer not to do it again. 

One thing that really bugs me, its always the same points we see flood.. and they never erect good structures to combat it. Weak dams, why not make something stronger in the dry season.. is it just a money thing ? There is a place I seen flooded countless times on TV here.. its in the bend of the river and they always seem to have one point where the water gets in and they always put on the same sand bag wall.. why not make something concrete with iron rebar in it. Just wondering if its a money thing.

Anyway I hope there won't be a repeat of 2011. I quite enjoy living here where I live now and I own the house. Its a great area, if I flood once every 7 years I could live with it. I certainly could not live in an area that floods every year.

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

No government can hold their head up high against mother nature. Climate changes intensified the problems. 

No they can't but they can do quite a lot if they really want too. Not give out free tablets and start a rice program, or buy subs (though these subs could come in quite handy during a flooding ?). They could spend real money on the water management, there is a lot of room for improvement. But I guess spending on stuff like this is not sexy not a vote buyer.

I had hoped that Prayut who I thought did not have to be popular (but turned out he did have to be popular to run again) could have solved a lot of problems like this. Make hard decisions for the country I was quite wrong. The 20 year plans are stupid.... but a 10 or more year water management plan would be useful. Seems no plans ever survive a government change.

Meanwhile the chief of the Royal Irrigation Department (RID), Thongplew Kongchan, declared that “there will be no repeat this year of the great floods of 2011”.

He should resign if he is wrong. These dams should have never been let to get to capacity this early in the wet season. 

1 minute ago, DavisH said:

Meanwhile the chief of the Royal Irrigation Department (RID), Thongplew Kongchan, declared that “there will be no repeat this year of the great floods of 2011”.

He should resign if he is wrong. These dams should have never been let to get to capacity this early in the wet season. 

If it has been stated there will be no floods then the residents can relax...................and get as many sandbags as they can lay their hands on.

Edited by upu2

3 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

They will be fine. All they have to do is realise what OPEN and CLOSED means on the drain taps

1 hour ago, robblok said:

No they can't but they can do quite a lot if they really want too. Not give out free tablets and start a rice program, or buy subs (though these subs could come in quite handy during a flooding ?). They could spend real money on the water management, there is a lot of room for improvement. But I guess spending on stuff like this is not sexy not a vote buyer.

I had hoped that Prayut who I thought did not have to be popular (but turned out he did have to be popular to run again) could have solved a lot of problems like this. Make hard decisions for the country I was quite wrong. The 20 year plans are stupid.... but a 10 or more year water management plan would be useful. Seems no plans ever survive a government change.

Don't give much confidence when the Flood Management Master Plan was not even mentioned in Prayut's briefing to the National Water Management Workshop as recent as June 4th this year.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Don't give much confidence when the Flood Management Master Plan was not even mentioned in Prayut's briefing to the National Water Management Workshop as recent as June 4th this year.  

I have no confidence Eric, none at all. This goverment is no better as previous ones and they did not do anything. So I don't see improvements. 

The only thing I do see is some small improvements around here. New sluices and so on. They also seem to have formalized the cham ling (not sure if i write it correctly) monkey cheeks so absorb water when needed but not much more then that. 

Anyway not yet worried as most of the rain seems to fall in the west this time (but that can change). I feel for those hit all the time, though the reality is of course you can't protect everything but there is a room for a lot of improvements. 

I think things could be a lot better if there was not so much nepotism in Thailand. IMHO (could be wrong) a lot dams are not managed by skilled people. I think even with the current system there is a lot of room for improvement. But the government must also make a choice what it focus's on, safety or agriculture. By keeping the lakes filled up a lot the support agriculture.. but pose a bigger risk. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

True, though the 2011 floods were made considerably worse as a result of mismanaging water release in the dams upcountry early on in the rainy season. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Eric. There is no such thing as climate change, It is just fake news.

Uncle Donald from the White House said so and like George Washington a long time ago, he would never tell a lie. Or would he?

7 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Eric. There is no such thing as climate change, It is just fake news.

Uncle Donald from the White House said so and like George Washington a long time ago, he would never tell a lie. Or would he?

His infamous climate change quote:-

“The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive”. ?

• Thanks 1