Bring Engagement Ring from US

Rob S

Hi all,

Will  I run in to any trouble with customs bringing and an engagement ring, necklace, and earrings with me to surprise my (soon to be) fiance? Any advice related to customs and airport entry?  I sure do not want to be subject to any taxes or other issues.  total value might be around 200,000B.

And no, this is not a troll, she's not a bar girl, freelancer, or otherwise sketchy.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Your fiancee will want "real" gold? Not farang gold. Rethink the whole scheme?

I know exactly what she wants.  We have been dating for 2 1/2 years during my many trips three and on Line 2x daily.  I know her very very well.  ?

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 11:18 PM, Rob S said:

I know exactly what she wants.  We have been dating for 2 1/2 years during my many trips three and on Line 2x daily.  I know her very very well.  ?

You've had many trips to Thailand, how many times have you been stopped?

If you're worried, just put the necklace on and the others stuff in a box in your pocket.

It ain't going to happen though.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what you want anyone to say.  Bringing in 200,000 Baht of anything through the green channel is illegal.  If you are caught (which is statistically unlikely but certainly possible) then are very likely to be fined and it may be confiscated.  

On 8/3/2018 at 9:39 PM, VocalNeal said:

Your fiancee will want "real" gold? Not farang gold. Rethink the whole scheme?

She won't complain too much though if the 14/18 kt gold has a 3 carat diamond.  Thais are know to make exceptions when it comes to monetary value

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2018 at 10:18 PM, Rob S said:

2.5 years, 3 trips and line 2X daily, and he knows her very very well..LOL

Try 17 years living in the same house with face to face conversations and still dont know whats going on inside that head and still can never figure out exactly what she wants...

Let me guess yours is different ?...take the advice of the Thai gold, its easier to sell on her part 

On 8/17/2018 at 5:34 PM, trotbot said:

Not sure what you want anyone to say.  Bringing in 200,000 Baht of anything through the green channel is illegal.  If you are caught (which is statistically unlikely but certainly possible) then are very likely to be fined and it may be confiscated.  

would it then logical... to go the Red Line?

- making sure there's 'something else' in your possession that qualifies you to having gone 'red'

waving the 'other whatever' things in their face may be just the thing to divert their attentions away from your unwanted target items

they cannot be angry at some innocent' traveller who's erring on the safe side - with say a wad of cash, and he's not sure about the limits...

to be sure, to be sure