British tourists warned against hiring motorcycles and quad bikes in Thailand

rooster59

If they are only on a short holiday , don't rent bikes or even cars. Leave it to someone experienced with Thai traffic. 

But I suspect most of the injured or dead Brits were long term stayers . 

2 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Ummm, you don't get it, have you ever been to Thailand!

it is more important to learn from the experience of others;

- that accidents (might) be avoidable,

- but it is impossible to avoid the Renter Mafia

- all tourists are not stupid , ignorant riders, but those who will knock them down  [the tourists]  on the roads, are stupid, reckless careless and ignorant drivers,

- tourists on bikes are the ideal prey for being racketed all over by boys wearing shiny golden wings in tight brown outfits,

- the helmets  provided by the rental mafia are usually cheap chinese crap that would not protect a stone from getting shattered,

- Thailand does not recognise the International Driving Licence delivered by many european or western nations refering to the 1968 convention (another excuse for the accident insurance not to pay or to get racketed at a police check point),

- hiring a bike is giving money to a well organised mafia (like the Taxis, tuktuks, jetski's etc. etc.)

and this goes for any nationality, not only the Brits.

Advice: use public transport or GRAB/Uber, or negotiate a daily price with a taxi

8 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Its not just the English who need to be warned. Thailand's roads are officially the most dangerous in the world. It is no place for an inexperienced rider, regardless of where they come from. Were it not for the horrible profit renters are making, something would have been done to stop people without a valid license being able to do it. This carnage is set to continue.

"This carnage is set to continue". It sure is, the renters will never be stopped, brown envelopes to certain establishments will see to that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

given the stats, the statement is a no brainer. Even if you're the most experienced rider in the world you still have no control over the 'other guy'.

That's true, but if you use genuine common sense all the time, you will have a much better chance of staying safe.

Just like if you do not drink or smoke, and do regular exercise, you will have a much better chance of staying healthy.

5 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

I apologize but, as a native English language speaker, can someone define a “degloved” leg?

When a foot is degloved it means that most, if not all skin is removed from the foot.

A definition from wikipedia:

A degloving injury is a type of avulsion injury in which an extensive section of skin is completely torn off the underlying tissue, severing its blood supply. It is named by analogy to the process of removing a glove.

The OP was refering to mopeds and quads.

By definition, a moped has both a small petrol engine (normally not more than 50cc) as well as pedal power. I don't recall seeing these anywhere in Thailand.

I think he meant what we call in Oz "stepthroughs" which are Honda Waves etc., 100-125cc in engine capacity.

Edited by Elfin

1 hour ago, Jonah Tenner said:

A degloving injury is a type of avulsion injury in which an extensive section of skin is completely torn off the underlying tissue, severing its blood supply. It is named by analogy to the process of removing a glove.

Any emergency room physician in a place where folks commonly ride bikes without helmets will have stories of entirely degloved faces.

I’ve rented motors in Chiang Mai to ride the triangle etc.  Rental shop
supplied riding jacket, gloves, helmet. Whoever is riding a moto needs to make sure there confident on dos and don’t dos, pay attention and look out for possible dangers. 

Apologies for for the long message but no one talks to me much in English. 

The point be be safe and think..... it can be dangerous if you make it so.
ive road off and on for 50 years and been fortunate 
Spot on. Proactive and defensive driving is the key. Don't trust others than yourself

9 hours ago, Vacuum said:

I don't see the issue with this. They always drive very slowly and are very aware of the oncoming traffic.

They're an issue if you're a cyclist as these wrong waters tend to occupy the space used by cyclists. It's just silly behaviour and completely needless. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elfin said:

The OP was refering to mopeds and quads.

By definition, a moped has both a small petrol engine (normally not more than 50cc) as well as pedal power. I don't recall seeing these anywhere in Thailand.

I think he meant what we call in Oz "stepthroughs" which are Honda Waves etc., 100-125cc in engine capacity.

In truth the OP was referring to a warning about various different countries......not just Thailand:

Moped and quad bike warning for UK tourists - BBC News

"The Association of British Travel Agents (Abta) said holidaymakers should only use quad bikes, which are popular in places such as Cape Verde, Greece and Turkey, as part of organised tours."

"Lewis Evans, from Thornbury near Bristol, suffered "devastating injuries" when he came off a quad bike on the Greek island of Zante in 2016.

His family then had to raise £30,000 to bring him home via air ambulance after they discovered his holiday insurance did not cover quad biking."

Edited by Enoon

12 hours ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

They're an issue if you're a cyclist as these wrong waters tend to occupy the space used by cyclists. It's just silly behaviour and completely needless. 

Speaking of "occupy the space", I think cyclists (with their silly looking outfits) going side by side (for some reason they always do) occupies much more space.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Ummm, you don't get it, have you ever been to Thailand!

Only 8 yrs now, but thanks for asking. And speeding on my part has been main reason for near mishaps. In the country you have more dangers like free range cattle as an example.

• Like 1

tourists need to have an mc license right? so whos the root cause? 

i ride all over thai and been doing so for decades on all forms of bikes, big little and even off road mx, enduro. Its chaos on the roads for sure but allowing any person to rent a bike with no ability is insanity. 

Forget insurance! Thais should be held responsible to some degree.

20 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Advice: use public transport or GRAB/Uber, or negotiate a daily price with a taxi

Or just get a bicycle and ride around , works well in tourist resorts. Just avoid the big roads. 

• Like 1