Many expats live in Thailand on less than 45,000 baht a month

rooster59

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

Not everything is black and white, there are many shades in between.

All work is not drudgery, some people like, enjoy, and take pride in their work,it gives meaning to their life.

One can balance enjoying once self  while saving for the future and taking care of one's responsibilities, and if they can do it in a job they enjoy..... 

But this thread is about living in Thailand on 45k baht a month. which I would find very difficult.

I don't think the survey reflected in the OP is accurate  If I was asked "how much I live on in Thailand I might have responded 45k  per month which might be accurate, but I have a much higher income, and assets in Thailand and back home. So If I was asked what is your monthly income , the  correct answer would be much higher than 45k,but the answer I give would be 

" None of your Business, who are you my accountant?" 

Someone posted a "Confused" reaction to my above reply.  I don't like these TVF reactions, they mean litle. A "Like" and perhaps a "don't like I can understand . But a " "confused" or a "Sad" what are you confused about?

We are here about to have a conversation about a particular subject. I can understand a "reaction" that expresses Opinion so that a member don't have to go through the trouble of typing it, but a confused "reaction" is not an opinion it is a condition, and there is litle anyone else can do for such condition unless the confused engages confugee.

Anyway sorry you are confused, There are medical and nutritional remedies that might help alleviate that condition.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

I am very surprised here to see how much money some people spend. My wife and I could live a good life for 4 months straight on what some of you guys spent in a month. We have pulled our belt in since the drop of the AUD, and I went from spending 35-40K a month down to 24-28K a month. We don't miss out on much. We decided just only to spend my pension and leave my dividends and main capital under Trust back at home. Once you own everything, I have found it hard to spend money here. We have a nice house, a new car, three motorcycles and three dogs. I am insured; my family trust pays yearly for International Insurance. So far, in the last three years, my insurance has paid out over 400K for me, so I am ahead, but I prefer not to be anywhere near a hospital again for some time. My wife has been sick for the last month (cut her foot badly), and that has taken money off the table as well. She has not been able to work.

My costs here have decreased as I want a lot less these days as I age. I am married, not interested in chasing other women, have a few nice hobbies, like riding my Motorcycle around most afternoons, hanging out with my dogs and going for a swim in the mornings. Before falling ill, in a previous life, I was working 14 hours a day on two businesses, never had time to myself and just never had the chance to enjoy myself. I really missed out a lot in life when I was younger, thinking that when I grow old, I will have time to do what I wish. In a way, I was wrong; I should have done a lot more when I was younger. Now I am too sick to enjoy myself, and I am still young. I was always the mind that money can fix most things, but it cannot fix bad health. Our priorities change as we age - I know mine have dramatically.

pablo.jpg

Love Beagles.... Smartest dog I've ever known... 

14 hours ago, Matzzon said:

It´s just a time before they close the little hole in the net you are crawling in and out of. 

No, my visa is not any secret at all. I am extending a Non-O for one year at the time at my local immigration office.

Now, when that was out of the closet, I sincerely hope that the money you are talking about that are not earned in Thailand, are not something you are earning while you are staying in Thailand without a workpermit because then you are breaking the law and abusing the system? Nah, waiting for the answer. If it´s not a secret like you asked me.

Omg he just said he don't earn the money in Thailand 

8 hours ago, sirineou said:

All work is not drudgery, some people like, enjoy, and take pride in their work,it gives meaning to their life.

One can balance enjoying once self  while saving for the future and taking care of one's responsibilities, and if they can do it in a job they enjoy..... 

I always found all work to be drudgery.

Maybe not for the first month or two, but after that completely dull.

And the people that were happy in their work, I also found completely dull.

The only exception was cutting up logs for the wood burner, chainsaw and axe, quite happy to do that for an hour or so every day.

9 minutes ago, Ant Gio said:

Omg he just said he don't earn the money in Thailand 

So what? You can work online, right? Somebody pay into your bank account in Thailand or in your home country, right. Then you say you do not earn the money in Thailand, but the work is still beeing done here. That means you work in Thailand.

Another thing is where you pay tax. You live in Thailand more than 180 days, mean you are eligeble for Thai tax on your foreign income. Bet that is not happening too.

So go on with your talk about where earning money, it´s where the work is done that is the question. Then you can twist it as you want. Have a good day.

21 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I always found all work to be drudgery.

Maybe not for the first month or two, but after that completely dull.

And the people that were happy in their work, I also found completely dull.

The only exception was cutting up logs for the wood burner, chainsaw and axe, quite happy to do that for an hour or so every day.

A couple of jobs I had were fun . I was on a project crew so the work changed day to day or week to week

14 hours ago, mommysboy said:

We were all earning a lot more 20, 10, and 5 years ago.

False.

Got a retired lifetime monthly pension close to my salary.

Add 15 years of COLA ( cost of living) raises and I am way above my highest working income.

On 8/5/2018 at 2:05 AM, rooster59 said:

A common theme on social media and forums is that Thais think of hooking up with or marrying farangs as their ultimate meal ticket.

They are said to see dollar signs in their eyes and see the "hansum" foreigner as nothing more than a walking ATM to be pressed when needed and ignored like part of the furniture at other times.

But no more

Not to worry dear 'ladies', Indian millionares are coming soon according to TAT.

17 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

I was working 14 hours a day on two businesses, never had time to myself and just never had the chance to enjoy myself. I really missed out a lot in life when I was younger, thinking that when I grow old, I will have time to do what I wish. In a way, I was wrong; I should have done a lot more when I was younger. Now I am too sick to enjoy myself, and I am still young. I was always the mind that money can fix most things, but it cannot fix bad health. Our priorities change as we age - I know mine have dramatically.

The Top five regrets of the dying:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/feb/01/top-five-regrets-of-the-dying

No 2: I wish I hadn't worked so hard.

People tend to seriously overestimate their health state and ignore their age. Read the brilliant masterpiece by Atul Gawande "Being Mortal".  Eye opening.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Being_Mortal

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/feb/01/top-five-regrets-of-the-dying

People tend to seriously overestimate their health state and ignore their age. Read the brilliant masterpiece by Atul Gawande "Being Mortal".  Eye opening.

Yes, enjoy live while you can. Working yourself to death until you are 65 is a scam.
The whole government pension thing is...

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

On the education commitments here.

I know a US falang married to a Thai their daughter was in a high end international school in Chiang Mai.

The year tuition plus application fees etc. are more then 45,000 b a month.  She was getting very high marks and she recently took the US SAT test as they wanted her to attend an Ivy league type school in the US.

Her SAT score was so low they are now talking about junior college.  So unprepared for even a lower level university.

Seems like such a sad waste.

There are excellent Thai high schools, but any kid applying there must sit an entrance exam. They are public schools, you can't buy your place there. And that's how it should work. In order to thrive there the kids need to be at the same level and highly competitive.  

This year or the last year, I don't remember, Thailand was at the 5th place in the International Mathematics Olympiad. Australia was at 19th.

8 minutes ago, gearbox said:

This year or the last year, I don't remember, Thailand was at the 5th place in the International Mathematics Olympiad. Australia was at 19th.

Australia only got that high because there were only nineteen in the competition.

20 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

I've made that point before....what is there to spend your money on if you are retired and aren't a Thai girl ATM?

Last year I spent basically $50 a day and had a great time.

This year I will basically spend the same and live in a more expensive place.

Here is my difference:

I don't drink

I don't have a girlfriend

I have every toy I need.

Life is great.

Lol..$50 US per day is around $45k baht per month, if you don't drink and overspend on boom boom it will be difficult to spend that much.

Here is my difference:

I drink, sometimes I drink too much, I wish I don't drink, but beers are irresistible 

I have a girlfriend 

I don't have any toy I need. I always wanted to buy 40ft+ blue water sailboat, but that desire goes on and off all the time. 

So far this month until now (26th) I managed to spend 12k baht. When I'm in Thailand my girlfriend pays every major expense like rent,food,phone,internet,booze to drink at home,etc. I spend money on cocktails, proper massages, and from time to time on some farang food like blue cheese etc.

I travel quite a bit and normally spend less than $1500 USD per month in most countries in Asia as a traveller, it would be less to spend as a resident here.

I find it very interesting in seeing how people spend their money. I like these threads. Like my parents, they are very wealthy but refuse to fly business class when they fly over to visit me.  Last time, they said they used the money they saved from flying to put my wife and I up at a first class hotel with them for a few days. Said they saw better value.  Everyone's ideas about saving money are very different. For me, I don't like 35 baht Thai food from the street full of MSG. I prefer for my wife to cook daily with fresh foods and three times a week,  she will cook more expensive farang foods. That's how I like to spend my money. Some might say this is frugal but after you have the bare basics of a home, car and your toys (for me my computer and TV's), spending money is hard. I rarely travel these days, I have not been to a bar in over 4 years, we eat sushi out once a week and do a local coffee shop every second day. My life is pretty fore-filled here but I miss my Australian beaches and the safety net of Medicare. Life is peaceful now and the need for large amounts of money, is few. I do gather now, if you are at peace with yourself, life is much easier.

1 hour ago, gearbox said:

Lol..$50 US per day is around $45k baht per month, if you don't drink and overspend on boom boom it will be difficult to spend that much.

Here is my difference:

I drink, sometimes I drink too much, I wish I don't drink, but beers are irresistible 

I have a girlfriend 

I don't have any toy I need. I always wanted to buy 40ft+ blue water sailboat, but that desire goes on and off all the time. 

So far this month until now (26th) I managed to spend 12k baht. When I'm in Thailand my girlfriend pays every major expense like rent,food,phone,internet,booze to drink at home,etc. I spend money on cocktails, proper massages, and from time to time on some farang food like blue cheese etc.

I travel quite a bit and normally spend less than $1500 USD per month in most countries in Asia as a traveller, it would be less to spend as a resident here.

I had a 28 foot sail boat that I built had to sell it when I came here I'd like to get another one but as you said that dream comes and goes

7 minutes ago, Fred white said:

I had a 28 foot sail boat that I built had to sell it when I came here I'd like to get another one but as you said that dream comes and goes

Thinking about building a stitch and glue kayak when I retire. 

On 8/5/2018 at 2:05 AM, rooster59 said:

Almost a quarter (23%) were said to be trying to get by on less than 45,000 baht a month. Many of these may be earning less as the parameter was 25-45K.

Chock horror. I've been  living like this for 20 years.

2 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

For me, I don't like 35 baht Thai food from the street full of MSG. I prefer for my wife to cook daily with fresh foods and three times a week,  she will cook more expensive farang foods. That's how I like to spend my money.

Why not cook it yourself?

On 8/24/2019 at 2:12 PM, UgrozaVeka said:

i have met more dollar millionaire thais then any other nationality, and my only gf that was a dollar millionaire was thai-chinese

Any pics you want to share UgrozaVeka? 

I personally like Thai-Chinese dollar millionaire ladies.

Most of the ladies I have met in Thailand tell me I have a big heart and they don't care about the small bank balance. After 6 weeks they have changed their minds. Except Mrs Owl of course, who still thinks I've got it stashed away somewhere, and will reveal it in good time.

4 hours ago, gearbox said:

Good list, I asked my dad if he regretted anything before he died. Without hesitation he said travel. He worked until his death. Supporting ungrateful children and a nagging second wife.. 

On 8/24/2019 at 10:31 AM, Number 6 said:

Last year or so I was at Chulalongkorn. They were recruiting Thai with any degree to teach up country for 32. Bangkok for 28k.

Even in public schools Thais working on contract will make more but lose the perks.

The 28/32 was from a recruiter.

So you're wrong and this is a first person account of that.

Why not provide some evidence so we know that you are telling the truth?

On 8/24/2019 at 9:53 AM, BritManToo said:

Only elderly white guys want to buy a weeks shopping.

Modern people buy what they need for today, and maybe tomorrow.

I haven't 'lugged a big bag of groceries' since I was married and living in the UK more than 10 years back.

Thailand hasn't moved all it's stores to out of town hypermarkets, there's 4 or 5 in every street.

So you advocate walking to the store even more is better?

No thanks.

On 8/25/2019 at 2:53 AM, BigFalang said:

I'm not working yet, but I've recently moved to BKK and I'm going to start working here within a few months now. I've already gotten a job, just waiting to get my work permit and a few other things in order before i start.

My salary is going to vary, 55-90k a month depending on how well I do each month. 

Terrible month - 55k.
Decent month - 70k.
Great month - 90k.

Now even if I had a terrible month at 55k and I payed 10% taxes I think I'd still be fine with 50k. I have just signed a contract on a nice 1BR that I pay 13k/month for. Internet, electricity and water and I'm up on 15k. The company deducts 1k every month for health insurance, I can only go to one hospital but it's close to my condo and it's a decent hospital. That leaves me with 34k. 

Spending 600THB/day for food, cigarettes etc is fine for me, that's 18k for one month and I'm now down to 16k. Lets say that every weekend I spend 3k besides the 600THB/day that would be 12k every month and I'd be down to 4k having already covered ALL of my expenses. So then I've spent 46 out of my 50k. The remaining 4k I can either save or buy some clothes etc.

So for 50k THB/month you can definitely have a decent living standard in Thailand as long as you don't go crazy 7 days per week. To be honest even if I'd only get a set salary of 55k a month paying 10% taxes I'd still live a good life and be very happy. I don't really understand the people implying that you need to eat food for 50THB if you're going to spend 45k-50k/month, it's simply not true.. You might not be eating imported gold sprinkled caviar every day but you definitely won't be struggling to get by.

This is about as short sighted as you can get.

You are living to get by today, with no regard for what happens when you get old.

Plus the odd 800k for VISA

Archived