Many expats live in Thailand on less than 45,000 baht a month

rooster59

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

So two out of three of their educations were completely worthless.

One was kicked out and the other's a waitress.

Even engineering is a low paid occupation these days.

No.  My younger son didn't learn a whole lot in his first 3 years of school, but went on to study welding and machining in a relatively low-cost community college.  He's a very competent machinist and does well with CAD/CAM and CNC G-code programming.  He's now the shop foreman or lead man, though the pay of about $55,000 U.S./year isn't great in his locality. 

31 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Or like persistently defending the indefensible and showing signs of self-hatred of their own culture?

Yes precisely and I not only show signs of hatred of my own culture I actively despise my own culture and flag waving in general,I mean what's to like about a culture that stole a whole country from the people that already occupied it and then lied that the place was empty to justify their claim of sovereignty and then have the gaul to say that fairness was a core value?Off topic post will be deleted so I'll say I live here under 45000 baht per month how about you?

3 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Yes precisely and I not only show signs of hatred of my own culture I actively despise my own culture and flag waving in general,I mean what's to like about a culture that stole a whole country from the people that already occupied it and then lied that the place was empty to justify their claim of sovereignty and then have the gaul to say that fairness was a core value? 

I'm not defending any people who have committed atrocity. At the same time, if we look back far enough (usually not very far at all) every grouping of people has committed it's share of atrocity. 

Human nature is to be wicked. It's just how the world is. 

I'm focused on Thais and Thailand because that is where I spend a good deal of time. If I was in Zimbabwe, I would complain about it. 

15 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

I'm not defending any people who have committed atrocity. At the same time, if we look back far enough (usually not very far at all) every grouping of people has committed it's share of atrocity. 

Human nature is to be wicked. It's just how the world is. 

I'm focused on Thais and Thailand because that is where I spend a good deal of time. If I was in Zimbabwe, I would complain about it. 

I was going to put the laughing emoji for the Zimbabwe crack but decided on the trophy for a nice post,could you live on 45000 baht or less in Zimbabwe?She who must be obeyed and makes Prayut look like a chior boy has dictated that I must go!

Let them all think I make less than or live on less than 40k/month and that way I'll be safer and less attractive to the ATM gold diggers and greedy thais.  
As soon as you show them the money, they change and that change is never good.  

25 minutes ago, garyk said:

Wow you must be living like a rock star.  

Hardly. There are more families in Thailand, Thai, mixed and foreign who spend 300k a month than you might think.

Thaivisa demographics are only representative of Thaivisa members. Not of Thailand as a whole.

There is a mentality here on this site of a race to the bottom where people are applauded for being able to survive on as low an amount a month as possible.

And anyone who lays out a different perspective than that is a nail which needs to be hammered down by people such as yourself.

13 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

300k ( approx $10k US ) is not that difficult to spend in a month if you have a family and enjoy nice things.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Definitely out of my class, in America very easy to spend. In Thailand? I guess I could, but it would be a full time job.

Have fun.

43 minutes ago, Stanley78 said:

Hardly. There are more families in Thailand, Thai, mixed and foreign who spend 300k a month than you might think.

Thaivisa demographics are only representative of Thaivisa members. Not of Thailand as a whole.

There is a mentality here on this site of a race to the bottom where people are applauded for being able to survive on as low an amount a month as possible.

And anyone who lays out a different perspective than that is a nail which needs to be hammered down by people such as yourself.

I know some Chinese Thai that make more than that easy.  But, honestly I never see these people spend that kind of money without kids in school. They tend to send the kids off to private schools in America and the UK. Then They spend much more. But, day to day living? 

But, lets face facts, On TV are mostly retired expats. Making 65-150K I would imagine. In my working days 10,000/mo. is what I was making easily. But, retired I am not and most are not here. I think.

I would be very interested in knowing what you are spending that kind of money on?

Are you living in BKK?

Home payments?

Car payments?

Honestly the only thing that I can figure that I could spend that kind of money on is if I were head over heals in debt? Or living the life of a rock star... haha

1 hour ago, Stanley78 said:

Total monthly income of each province

Revenue for each province in Thailand as much ...
When we talk about economic growth at the national or provincial level or one of the indicators that need to be talked about a lot is the "income" Today #WOWThailand volunteers take you to the revenue per household. Both nationally and by province and region. The National Bureau of Statistics as well
For the record, it was found that the average income per month for a household of Thailand in 2558 to 26,915 baht Bangkok (Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Samut Prakan, Pathum Thani), with average revenue per month per household higher. up to 41,002 baht and the central region, with an average income of 26,601 baht per month per household, the highest, followed by South THB 26,268 THB 21,049 and the Northeast region. The average household income per month is at least 18,952 baht north
Looking deeper into the province. Then divided into provinces, which are the most and least of five provinces found that
five provinces with average monthly revenue per household for most
Bangkok 45 572 THB
Thani 41,057 baht
Bangkok 40 347 THB
Nonthaburi 36 884 baht
Thailand 36,466 Baht
5 provinces, with average revenue per month per household at least
Rai 13,497 baht
Chiang Mai 14,950 THB
Mae 15,119 baht
Kalasin 15,452 baht
Yala 15,584 Sabha.

oku292sohzHmNeODSVW-o.jpg

On 8/5/2018 at 9:05 AM, rooster59 said:

Almost a quarter (23%) were said to be trying to get by on less than 45,000 baht a month. Many of these may be earning less as the parameter was 25-45K.

"trying to get by" AKA budgeting, and "earning" are two different things.

2 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Yes precisely and I not only show signs of hatred of my own culture I actively despise my own culture and flag waving in general,I mean what's to like about a culture that stole a whole country from the people that already occupied it and then lied that the place was empty to justify their claim of sovereignty and then have the gaul to say that fairness was a core value?Off topic post will be deleted so I'll say I live here under 45000 baht per month how about you?

Are you talking about Australia/US?

1 hour ago, JaiLai said:

300k ( approx $10k US ) is not that difficult to spend in a month if you have a family and enjoy nice things.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Especially if family members enjoy a flutter on the various lotteries around the place.These days 300k baht would keep me going happily for three years,swings and round abouts as 'they' say.

16 hours ago, Fred white said:

The problem I've found over here is materials unlike the US I can't go on eBay and buy materials like fiberglass and resin

I looked into this before and my problem is likely to be sourcing marine ply. 

Now back on subject. I will retire in just over 3 years and I am budgeting for 75k per month. I will not receive any pension and it will be solely based on my own savings, but I think I have set myself a realistic target, especially as I own my house so will not be paying rent. Having said that, even now I am living on 45k a month comfortably so am sure I could live on that when retired. However, I realize I need to factor in inflation and hence the target of 75k.    

1 minute ago, GarryP said:

I looked into this before and my problem is likely to be sourcing marine ply. 

Now back on subject. I will retire in just over 3 years and I am budgeting for 75k per month. I will not receive any pension and it will be solely based on my own savings, but I think I have set myself a realistic target, especially as I own my house so will not be paying rent. Having said that, even now I am living on 45k a month comfortably so am sure I could live on that when retired. However, I realize I need to factor in inflation and hence the target of 75k.    

Yes always a good idea to factor in the unforeseen.I came up with a budget I thought I could live on then doubled it and still ended up under half of 45000 baht per month.

@Bangkokazy, I didn't say that the average income is 300k THB but that there are a lot more families who spend that kind of money than some people seem to know. Possibly because they don't socialize with anyone like that.

Thailand is as you are aware a country where the money isn't spread out evenly. In fact it is one of the most "unfair" countries in the world.

Just because the average Thai, who will grow up with a horrible education and low chances to move up on the social ladder gets by on a pittance doesn't mean that it is something that I think a foreigner who moves to Thailand should strive for.

If you've been given the opportunities of a western education and life of work and earning potential, why compare yourself to what the average person in Thailand makes and survives on.

26 minutes ago, Stanley78 said:

@Bangkokazy , det gjorde jeg ikke si at den gjennomsnittlige inntekten er 300k THB, men at det er mange flere familier som tilbringer så mye penger enn noen mennesker synes å vite. Muligens fordi de ikke sosialisere med noen sånn.

Thailand er som du er klar over et land der pengene ikke er jevnt fordelt. Faktisk er det en av de mest "urettferdig" land i verden.

Bare fordi den gjennomsnittlige Thai, som vil vokse opp med en fryktelig utdanning og lav sjanser til å gå opp på den sosiale stigen får av på en liten lønn betyr ikke at det er noe som jeg tror en utlending som flytter til Thailand bør strebe etter.

Hvis du har fått mulighetene for en vestlig utdannelse og liv i arbeid og inntjeningspotensialet, hvorfor sammenligne deg med hva den gjennomsnittlige personen i Thailand gjør og overlever på.

There are 10 percent of Thais who have a lot of money and there are Thai Chinese and it views the rest of the population as mules ,, or shorter slowly ...

16 minutes ago, Stanley78 said:

@Bangkokazy, I didn't say that the average income is 300k THB but that there are a lot more families who spend that kind of money than some people seem to know. Possibly because they don't socialize with anyone like that.

Thailand is as you are aware a country where the money isn't spread out evenly. In fact it is one of the most "unfair" countries in the world.

Just because the average Thai, who will grow up with a horrible education and low chances to move up on the social ladder gets by on a pittance doesn't mean that it is something that I think a foreigner who moves to Thailand should strive for.

If you've been given the opportunities of a western education and life of work and earning potential, why compare yourself to what the average person in Thailand makes and survives on.

I think the point was that if the average Thai can "survive" on 15k a month, then surely a foreigner could survive on 3 times that.  Who the hell would "strive" to live like the average Thai? Surely, you aim as high as you can or want to and that height varies from person to person. I would not know what to do with 300k a month, apart from invest 200k and live on 100k (there would still be money left at the end of the month), but then I high never lived an opulent lifestyle. Probably comes down to what you are used to and what you are happy with.  

51 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Are you talking about Australia/US?

I'm talking about Australia.The US is slightly different in that some treaties were negotiated with the previous occupiers where as in Australia no such treaties were negotiated and the previous occupiers are to this day are not officially recognised as having been there before "white settlement" took place and to this day the previous occupiers of Australia are still fighting for their their land.Previous high court decisions have rejected attempts to rule in favour of the previous occupiers with the spurious claim of Terra Nullius which claims the land was uninhabited/unoccupied which a worse high court decision than I've seen the Thai equivalent make let alone fair or even reasonable.Which is one of the reasons why I choose to live in Thailand spending less than 45000 baht per month.   

4 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I think the point was that if the average Thai can "survive" on 15k a month, then surely a foreigner could survive on 3 times that.  Who the hell would "strive" to live like the average Thai? Surely, you aim as high as you can or want to and that height varies from person to person. I would not know what to do with 300k a month, apart from invest 200k and live on 100k (there would still be money left at the end of the month), but then I high never lived an opulent lifestyle. Probably comes down to what you are used to and what you are happy with.  

The average Thai family survives on 5-10k/month.

The middle class Thai family are deeply in debt on 40-50k/month.

It's a strange place where the middle class need to spend a lot more than they earn.

I don't keep up with anyone, spend what you like, I try to manage my household on 1,000gbp/month.

Which was easy when it was worth 52,000bht, but is harder now it's only worth 37,500bht.

My gf is off burning the husband of her friend this minute, he garroted himself yesterday morning over money worries.

He was only 27 years old but couldn't keep up with the debt, a rope and a stick seems a hard way to go.

Gf says this is happening more and more as the guys can't keep up with the demands of their wife.

2 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Who the hell would "strive" to live like the average Thai?

I do at the moment as does I believe Martin Wheeler of Khon Kaen and recent Thai award winner fame and I would hazard a guess there would be more.Personally I am in belt tightening mode to keep my money in a super fund back home (higher returns) until I reach pension eligibility in about 8 years and to avoid paying tax withdrawing my super before the age of 60.As it looks at the moment I think the belt tightening will spread if there's a global recession as is currently predicted.

4 minutes ago, GarryP said:

If I was single 100k would be perfectly fine.

It's raising a child in good standards and having a live in maid with an above average salary who eats the same food as we do for free which adds up.

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My gf is off burning the husband of her friend this minute, he garroted himself yesterday morning over money worries.

He was only 27 years old but couldn't keep up with the debt, a rope and a stick seems a hard way to go.

Gf says this is happening more and more as the guys can't keep up with the demands of their wife.

This is the tragic consequence of the "dream" to which so many aspire."My life is a tale of financial woe".A quote from a work colleague long ago and still relevant. 

53 minutes ago, GarryP said:

200+ sqm condo in central Bangkok incl electricity and half of that money is gone. 

Nothing to do with "oppulent" lifestyle. 

2 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

200+ sqm condo in central Bangkok incl electricity and half of that money is gone. 

Nothing to do with "oppulent" lifestyle. 

I don't rent. And even if I did, I would not rent such a condo in central Bangkok as I see it as an unnecessary expense. A different matter altogether if your employer is paying your accommodation expenses. In that case bring it on.  

The last house I rented about 8 years ago was 10k a month in Prakanong district. No desire to live in central Bangkok (although I did live there about 37 years ago). Working there is enough for me. Prefer living in the burbs and commuting to work.

I like to live in Thonglor, totally different than Pattaya.

I alternate my stay between Thonglor and Pattaya as I am financially unable to live in Thonglor all year.

Living in Pattaya with 45000 is perfectly doable, it isn't that evident in Thonglor.

I lived 15+ years in Pattaya, I am 71 now, my desiderata changed, Thonglor is more my liking actually. 

The average Thai family survives on 5-10k/month.
The middle class Thai family are deeply in debt on 40-50k/month.
It's a strange place where the middle class need to spend a lot more than they earn.
I don't keep up with anyone, spend what you like, I try to manage my household on 1,000gbp/month.
Which was easy when it was worth 52,000bht, but is harder now it's only worth 37,500bht.

Taking on a non self-supporting live-in partner moves one into a potentially completely different financial bracket of expenses. It is probably quite a different topic of discussion than whether a single guy can live under 45k pm.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived