Eighteen injured as pickup flips in Chiang Mai

webfact

1 hour ago, Samuel Smith said:

Dashed yellow line to the right of solid line indicates that oncoming traffic can overtake if road clear.  If it was a double solid yellow line then   both directions cannot overtake.  So who doesn't understand the road markings?

I merely mentioned that the Thais dont know what that line means. I never suggested that anyone broke the law by overtaking in this instance. Please read carefully and try not to be so judgemental on what wasn't said. I held a passenger service vehicle licence in the UK and have driven in some 30 countries for 45 years without having an accident. That has nothing to do with understanding Urdu, Turkish or Persian roadsigns, just being a careful driver.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 1337markus said:

So the government law that was relaxed for Songkran last year allows 5 or 6 in the back of a pickup truck has gone. Seems another useless law that no one follows.

And if the cops were out on the roads as they should be, looking for dangerous drivers etc., then some likelihood they would have spotted this overloaded pick-up truck, stopped it and charged the driver with breaking overload and more laws, therefore giving warning to others to not do the same thing.

I'm dreaming of course.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, scorecard said:

And if the cops were out on the roads as they should be, looking for dangerous drivers etc., then some likelihood they would have spotted this overloaded pick-up truck, stopped it and charged the driver with breaking overload and more laws, therefore giving warning to others to not do the same thing.

I'm dreaming of course.

�ล�าร���หารู�ภา�สำหรั� crowded pickup trucks with many passengersรู�ภา��ี���ี�ยว��อ�

24 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

I hate to wake you from that lovely dream. On their way to Mae Taeng in another 10kms they would have passed through a compulsory roadblock which supposedly checks for immigrants, drugs and other legal requirements. Those guys, of course, would have instantly spotted this infringement of the law and pulled them over. Along with the overloaded mango, garlic, lamyai and orange cargo's that ply this road daily and yet still arrive in C Mai to unload. Quite how it all gets past this point I cant imagine.

That of course is allowed for via the retail price

6 hours ago, Lungstib said:

As can be seen in the picture that road is capable of taking 3 vehicles abreast which I know as I too have had to move over to accommodate a passing vehicle which was in too much of a hurry to wait 30 secs. I also see a continuous yellow line on that picture, another of this countries wasted efforts at safety as just about no-one takes notice or even understands what it means.

Only if the vehicles Give Way.

Trying looking that term up in the Thai Highway Code. It's right after what does the amber light mean?

29 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

I hate to wake you from that lovely dream. On their way to Mae Taeng in another 10kms they would have passed through a compulsory roadblock which supposedly checks for immigrants, drugs and other legal requirements.

At 7.20 a.m. the cops manning the compulsory roadblock will still be scratching there asses and pondering breakfast.

7 hours ago, 1337markus said:

So the government law that was relaxed for Songkran last year allows 5 or 6 in the back of a pickup truck has gone. Seems another useless law that no one follows. 

There was never a law to ban people from the back of pickups (or limit their numbers), just a proposal for one. It hasn't been implemented so far and shouldn't be, in my opinion. Workers in the back of pickups don't cause accidents - stupid drivers do. By your logic, passengers riding inside cars should be banned to, if too many of them get injured in accidents.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jimster said:

There was never a law to ban people from the back of pickups (or limit their numbers), just a proposal for one. It hasn't been implemented so far and shouldn't be, in my opinion. Workers in the back of pickups don't cause accidents - stupid drivers do. By your logic, passengers riding inside cars should be banned to, if too many of them get injured in accidents.

Shouldn't common sense in how many should be in the back and due care in driving be the main considerations without the need to strict laws, which in Thailand means nothing anyway. 

• Like 2