Laos visa Run Timing ?

Hi Everyone ,   I going to Vientiane during the first week of sept and I would be grateful for any advice regarding my proposed schedule.

Im planning on leaving Bangkok by air to Vientiane on Wednesday 5th , submit my application on Thursday  6th and collect my passport and visa on Friday 7th , I intend to re enter Thailand at the Nong khai crossing and get a taxi to Udon Thani to get my flight back to Bangkok at 8.45pm 

How long will it take to get from the Thai consulate to the crossing > Pass immigration and get across > Then Get to udon Thani airport . ?

Assuming I get my passport back around 2pm will I have enough time. ?  

Many Thanks.   kr. 

I've done this a few times and I've caught the 17:45 flight to Phuket with plenty of time to spare.

There's usually a lot of people who want to go to Udon Thai Airport at the border, you can share a taxi with them and save some money.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, keefryan said:

How long will it take to get from the Thai consulate to the crossing > Pass immigration and get across > Then Get to udon Thani airport . ?

Personally I would suggest flying on Tuesday rather than Wednesday to avoid the busy visa run crowd. 

If you stay at the Douangpraseuth Hotel, Vientiane which is just across the street from the consulate (as I did) you will have time for breakfast before you stroll across the street to be at the front of the queue outside the consulate  (I got number 7) and back to the hotel in time to snag some extra coffee before the breakfast buffet closes, then next day you can get your visa very shortly after 1:30 which is the time they start and with a low queue number you can be in a taxi and across the border by about 2:30 so you could be in Udon Thani by 4:30 at the latest and that is giving at least an hour wiggle room.

The timing is dependent upon the visa run days and the time the visa run crowd shows up. On those days you may not have time for breakfast if you want a low queue number 

If you want an inexpensive trip in from the airport you can use the bus for 15,000 kip with free WiFi  or a taxi for around 60,000~80,000. The hotel is about a 15 minute walk from where you get the bus to drop you off, then google maps, map.me, or in my case Sygic GPS apps will guide you to the hotel.

• Thanks 1

FYI, I just turned in my packet this morning for an O Visa  at the Consulate in Laos. The American who was 2 ahead of me had to go and get a copy of his Laos Visa. I know he had a few problems before on his PP from last year, but probably not the reason. I had two copies of my LV in my packet and they keep both with my packet. I did not think to ask if that is the new policy or not. If I get a chance I will ask tomorrow when I pick my PP up. 

3 hours ago, allen303 said:

FYI, I just turned in my packet this morning for an O Visa  at the Consulate in Laos. The American who was 2 ahead of me had to go and get a copy of his Laos Visa. I know he had a few problems before on his PP from last year, but probably not the reason. I had two copies of my LV in my packet and they keep both with my packet. I did not think to ask if that is the new policy or not. If I get a chance I will ask tomorrow when I pick my PP up. 

They have always asked for a copy of the Laos Visa, at least the 6 times I have been there in the last few years

OP be aware that if you go on the dates you say you will be there on the same days as the Visa Run companies go

Whilst it will be no issue in catching your flight in time be prepared for a lot of waiting on the day you apply and the day you pick up your PP

Even with the extra waiting you should still be at Nong Khai Immigration no later than 4 - 4 30pm, from memory the Airport is around 30-45 minutes away