Home CCTV

puchooay

Help needed please.

I am looking at a simple system for my home. 3 cameras and an app to view live from anywhere on a phone. I don't want to have a server. Just a plug and play system that picks up Wifi.

Thanks for any info.

9 hours ago, puchooay said:

Thanks. So does that hook up to any camera with wifi? Is it as simple as: plug in camera, connect to wifi, download app and watch?

Alfred actually takes a different tack...

By now many try to get their wifi IP cameras up, and then cop the stumbling block; that a subscription 'will' be required, no choice, to be able to access their images over the web (for when you are not actually at home)

Alfred on the other hand, for camras, uses your no longer wanted wifi enabled smart phones (if used on wifi, a SIM is not required at all)

You won't have any of those IPCam problems, that arise regarding ip addresses etc etc blah blah blah kikyat bababor carn, amongst other frustration uttering  words...

Alfred and Presence are at the top of easy to use, free Apps.

Presence however only gives you a free 50mb of cloud storage, requiring subs to gain access to some Gbs of space

Alfred on the hand is also a free App, but offers much better services in the Free option.

For example, you will get a full 7days carte blanc, of cloud storage, FIFO

which then expands to a carte blanc 30 days clod storage on subscription; also adding HD.  Cloud visions stored can also be individually Downloaded.

Both the Apps give you Motion Detection, Low Light enhancement, and two way audio, as in a PTT method of speaking back thru to the camera phone, from your viewer phone (or PC)

Alfred can also be set up to self ReStart, if you have a camera phone that for some reason stops and reboots. 

1 hour ago, tifino said:

Alfred actually takes a different tack...

By now many try to get their wifi IP cameras up, and then cop the stumbling block; that a subscription 'will' be required, no choice, to be able to access their images over the web (for when you are not actually at home)

Alfred on the other hand, for camras, uses your no longer wanted wifi enabled smart phones (if used on wifi, a SIM is not required at all)

You won't have any of those IPCam problems, that arise regarding ip addresses etc etc blah blah blah kikyat bababor carn, amongst other frustration uttering  words...

Alfred and Presence are at the top of easy to use, free Apps.

Presence however only gives you a free 50mb of cloud storage, requiring subs to gain access to some Gbs of space

Alfred on the hand is also a free App, but offers much better services in the Free option.

For example, you will get a full 7days carte blanc, of cloud storage, FIFO

which then expands to a carte blanc 30 days clod storage on subscription; also adding HD.  Cloud visions stored can also be individually Downloaded.

Both the Apps give you Motion Detection, Low Light enhancement, and two way audio, as in a PTT method of speaking back thru to the camera phone, from your viewer phone (or PC)

Alfred can also be set up to self ReStart, if you have a camera phone that for some reason stops and reboots. 

Thank you for your help but I don't think this will work for us. Using unwanted phones is not possible. We need 3 or 4 view points. Facilitating that with phones could not be done.

5 hours ago, puchooay said:

Thank you for your help but I don't think this will work for us. Using unwanted phones is not possible. We need 3 or 4 view points. Facilitating that with phones could not be done.

oh ok... but the App does allow for unlimited numbers of Cam Phones and Viewer phones in the mix

all simply linked to the one big array via a single 'commoned to all' email address - that each and every viewer and camera phones log in to...

I currently have a combination of two viewing phones, and 8 Cam Phones.

we are currently 1000kms away from home; and Mrs and I can at our individual leisure - spy on, and chat two ways with our pet cockatiel,

who currently has the run of the house all by her lonesome! 

She can wander anywhere she likes, so we have placed the 8 phones near her fave locations in various rooms, and the garage

On 8/6/2018 at 8:54 PM, puchooay said:

Thanks. So does that hook up to any camera with wifi? Is it as simple as: plug in camera, connect to wifi, download app and watch?

No not that simple.

To be able to view your CCTV cameras anywhere in the world..they (easiest and cheapest way) need to be connected to the internet..so that means you'll need a reasonably fast internet connection at home

you'll need to setup Dynamic DNS   https://www.duckdns.org/ 

is free...that will give you an always reachable  address   ******.duckdns.org that your viewing application ( I quite like an android app called "Onvifer" ) can connect to   you also have to setup the correct

"port forwarding" on  your modem/router....

1 hour ago, puchooay said:

Checked connections between cams and phone at many other locations and perfect.

So you did the scan QR code and  let the phone and camera whistle/chirp at each other thing,

and it worked ( didn't work for me.. on my generic Chinese camera)

I would be a little bit worried  about who can now see/use the camera + how long the company will keep its DDNS going...however vstarcam  http://www.vstarcam.com seem to have been around for a while.

1 hour ago, johng said:

So you did the scan QR code and  let the phone and camera whistle/chirp at each other thing,

and it worked ( didn't work for me.. on my generic Chinese camera)

I would be a little bit worried  about who can now see/use the camera + how long the company will keep its DDNS going...however vstarcam  http://www.vstarcam.com seem to have been around for a while.

Yes. Did all of that. Very simple. The cameras are all password protected.