"We are not coming back" : Tourists give the thumbs down to Khao San Road changes

webfact

3 minutes ago, JennaBurrows said:

You're forgetting those pavements though. I fly 24,000 miles just to see a good pavement. Wonder if the Chinese love them. 

sidewalks-696x464.jpg

That's the kind of thing they should fix.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/7/2018 at 2:47 PM, CLW said:
On 8/7/2018 at 9:47 AM, Destiny1990 said:
Now the street is filled with parked taxies and tuk tuks.
Ban all cars and tuk tuks and bring the stalls back the soi is dead now.

Exactly the same happened in my Soi. BMA put up some sign with a 2,000 Baht fine and cleared the not even existing sidewalk. Now there a tons of motorcycle parked there. I wonder what is the purpose of this actions?

The purpose: larger businesses, higher up people come in and capitalize on the structure.

1) Allow certain tourist centric areas to go back to allowing street food, and street stalls. Areas include, Sukhumvit (lower Soi's around Nana), Siam, Chinatown and Khao San Road. I stress tourist areas as that's where most of the bans are being dished out. 

2) Flexibility with hours for these areas is a must, as it will be primarily tourists and local Thai's using them, many whom will be enjoying the nightlife. What is the point in telling street sellers they can't sell their goods during the day, when that is time when most tourists busses pass the area. What is the point in telling street food vendors to pack up by midnight when most people are leaving nightlife around midnight to 2am. Flexibility must be allowed. 

2) Strict lines must be drawn up where they can operate. These lines must allow enough room for pedestrians to walk, and any emergency services to operate. 

3) Failure to adhere to the lines of space will result in a heavy fine and a complete ban to that person on the first infringment. 

4) Allow more freedom on the side soi's as long as they are not invading on residential areas - thus dispersing the vendors around alot more. 

5) Vendors must tidy and clean up after themselves. They must have a designated supervisor that represents the vendors in the area, and if mess is found that supervisor must pay the fine (whom in turn will collect from all the vendors). 

6) Bring fun back to Bangkok. 

Pretty simple.

Do not just carry out a blanket ban as that is just santizing the city to a level that is harming tourism and the one unique selling point a city like Bangkok has - namely it's street culture.

I took some photos

This is on Sukhumvit, on the road from Nana to Soi Cowboy at around 1am. This area was once brimming with street food, i signed a long rent for an appartment in the area because i just loved the lively scene back in 2016 (before the ban). Yes the pavements have been reclaimed - reclaimed back as a car park for cars to park. Try moving them in an emergency ! This area is now dead. 

38814939_10156426101448213_1268591377684

Side Soi on Sukhumvit - another area that was bristling with street food and vendors. Now a car park for motorbikes. The best street food i had was on this area. The lady cooked freshly made burgers every evening, and a great breakfast (at night!) - it was fresh and amazing to sit out and eat. That's the type of experience that made me want to leave the UK and stay and invest in Bangkok. The food has gone, now we have parked motorbikes. 

38808559_10156426101313213_7680338657047

Now the vendors have been cleared, cars and bikes just drive on pavements. 

38760945_10156426101383213_4112452467482

38 minutes ago, JennaBurrows said:

I took some photos

This is on Sukhumvit, on the road from Nana to Soi Cowboy at around 1am. This area was once brimming with street food, i signed a long rent for an appartment in the area because i just loved the lively scene back in 2016 (before the ban). Yes the pavements have been reclaimed - reclaimed back as a car park for cars to park. Try moving them in an emergency ! This area is now dead. 

38814939_10156426101448213_1268591377684

Side Soi on Sukhumvit - another area that was bristling with street food and vendors. Now a car park for motorbikes. The best street food i had was on this area. The lady cooked freshly made burgers every evening, and a great breakfast (at night!) - it was fresh and amazing to sit out and eat. That's the type of experience that made me want to leave the UK and stay and invest in Bangkok. The food has gone, now we have parked motorbikes. 

38808559_10156426101313213_7680338657047

Now the vendors have been cleared, cars and bikes just drive on pavements. 

38760945_10156426101383213_4112452467482

I am the same as you. I came to Thailand because it was exotic and vibrant. Could get street food any time of the day.There was hustle and bustle. It was alive. I used to love my walks down Sukhumvit window shopping for things. I bought many things along there just to buy them. I did not need the thing or have a use for it. I just liked it and I enjoy the barter. It had a pulse. That pulse is gone.

I felt safe with people every where night. and day. Now I get the feeling after 9 pm that I could get mugged walking down Sukhumvit by black drug dealers or desperate Thais.

14 hours ago, JennaBurrows said:

How does banning street food, destroying Khao San Road prevent Bangkok from not flooding?

It doesn't but better to clear the streets in advance of any contingency plans for work to be done in the future. 

And why are so many suckers getting suckered in by fake news?  cheesyrdn2.gifcheesyrdn2.gif cheesyrdn2.gif

"The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration is not banning street food in Khao San and Yaowarat roads, it's the opposite," he says. "It is supporting street food by implementing hygienic measures and organizing traffic around the areas."
He did confirm the BMA has banned vendors on various walking paths, including those surrounding Siam Discovery, Siam Center and Silom.

5 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

I bought many things along there just to buy them. I did not need the thing or have a use for it. I just liked it and I enjoy the barter. It had a pulse. That pulse is gone.

I felt safe with people every where night. and day. Now I get the feeling after 9 pm that I could get mugged walking down Sukhumvit by black drug dealers or desperate Thais.

The 'Rose Coloured Spectacles' eventually wore off then? Like many tourist, when visiting a new place, they see it completely different to a long stayer.

4 hours ago, Rally123 said:

The 'Rose Coloured Spectacles' eventually wore off then? Like many tourist, when visiting a new place, they see it completely different to a long stayer.

I feel you misread or misunderstood my post.

It is not a case of rose colored glasses.  It is a case of the changes being made to clean up the streets are negative.

30 years ago when I first came to Sukhumvit RD I could walk the street any time of the day or night and feel safe. There were always people selling noodles or whatever. There was always activety on the street and people.  It was safe. For the next 25 years it remained that way except for blacks started to come and they are aggressive and scary,but they were kept under control so it was still safe.

Now after dark it is silent nothing happens. Isolated streets at night with big black guys coming up to you and long spaces with no other people around  simply do not feel safe. I have stopped going to BKK for this reason. I really liked the street night life on Sukhumvit. Now I have no interest in walking down it in fear someone will jump out of a doorway and mug me.

I suggest you read my post again and see if now you can grasp what I meant.

4 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

It is not a case of rose colored glasses.  It is a case of the changes being made to clean up the streets are negative.

30 years ago when I first came to Sukhumvit RD I could walk the street any time of the day or night and feel safe. There were always people selling noodles or whatever. There was always activety on the street and people.  It was safe. For the next 25 years it remained that way except for blacks started to come and they are aggressive and scary,but they were kept under control so it was still safe.

Now after dark it is silent nothing happens. Isolated streets at night with big black guys coming up to you and long spaces with no other people around  simply do not feel safe. I have stopped going to BKK for this reason. I really liked the street night life on Sukhumvit. Now I have no interest in walking down it in fear someone will jump out of a doorway and mug me.

So much truth

Is it strange I feel safer walking the streets of busy BKK at midnight than I do in Sydney at midnight?

33 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

I apologise. 

22 hours ago, JennaBurrows said:

Who is forcing you to eat it? 

And around which MRT have you seen waste dumped? Just a myth the old expats like to punnel. 

No one and I've reduced what I take out of the street by 75%. It doesn't mean I want to walk by the mess. After 30 years I don't want to smell it either.

It's illegal for them to sell on MRT property but they disregard and I'm sure people are paid.

Any MRT that has food being sold out front, but specifics: TCC, Huay Kwang and Sutthisan. Huay Kwang can be really smelly and disgusting as can TCC in particular. HK actually has a X painted on the footpath for everyone and all the poor down the sois to toss their wet, filthy refuse at. TC  as well. Lots of frying, it's disgusting.

Any and all areas that have hawkers have huge oil slicks on the paths and streets.

Hawkers used to keep a place for years, many just sort of hit and run now. Hot dog fry stands on motorcycles, it's bullshit.

The only myth is the one swirling around in your melon that you think you know something about Thailand obviously. Not been here long, it's ok I understand.

No one and I've reduced what I take out of the street by 75%. It doesn't mean I want to walk by the mess. After 30 years I don't want to smell it either.

It's illegal for them to sell on MRT property but they disregard and I'm sure people are paid.

Any MRT that has food being sold out front, but specifics: TCC, Huay Kwang and Sutthisan. Huay Kwang can be really smelly and disgusting as can TCC in particular. HK actually has a X painted on the footpath for everyone and all the poor down the sois to toss their wet, filthy refuse at. TC  as well. Lots of frying, it's disgusting.

Any and all areas that have hawkers have huge oil slicks on the paths and streets.

Hawkers used to keep a place for years, many just sort of hit and run now. Hot dog fry stands on motorcycles, it's bullshit.

The only myth is the one swirling around in your melon that you think you know something about Thailand obviously. Not been here long, it's ok I understand.

Old saying but often true. If you don't like it here anymore, move elsewhere but spare your bitter farang anger and resignation for yourself.

I walked out of my building the other day, and amazingly there was only one motorbike in the fire lane.  Usually there are at least six.  Then I noticed it was a policeman.  The security guys had quit telling people, as they were just cursed or ignored.  It goes on in most buildings, and the Thais are ultra inconsiderate on this matter.  600 units use that precise space to enter and leave the building.  It would be a disaster in a fire or quake.  It appears that fines were levied, because it has been clear since.  So maybe it is the same type of public safety cleanup...some are likely embarrassed, as they should be.  It doesn't make it a nanny state, it just means someone is trying to get people to use common sense.  Not a foreigner involved, whatsoever.  So, is blocking the firelane, entrance, sidewalk Thai Culture?  Sure, the same way a Mexican girls first experience is with a relative is Mexican culture...but that doesn't mean you have to applaud it or endorse it.

3 hours ago, CLW said:
4 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Old saying but often true. If you don't like it here anymore, move elsewhere but spare your bitter farang anger and resignation for yourself.

Like it much better here now, now they cleaning the place up .

On 8/7/2018 at 8:13 AM, Thian said:

Do you think it was good for the image of BKK and Thailand that the whole world knew that on kao sarn road you can buy fake id's, presscards, university degree's, and probably everything else fake...It was just open on the corner of the street for loads of years...

Khaosan Road was a good image and a great tourist draw for Thailand. It is internationally known and a draw for people all over the world. It was one of the first places I went when I got here and also a must see for anyone who visits me here. If you want sanitary go to Singapore but oh wait you probably can’t afford to live there so you want Thailand to ba a cheap version.

On 8/8/2018 at 4:35 PM, lkv said:

Because the data published in the Post comes from sources within Thailand, such as BOT, TAT, and so on, and much of the data they come out with is as fake as the IDs on Khaosan Road.

That's why.

My point exactly

Good move by the local authorities.  The arguments offered in favour of allowing what is for all intents a purposes a filthy area of criminal behaviour are invalid. 

There is nothing really unique to this place that cannot be sampled or seen at proper Thai markets including the multiple  night markets that abound. The arguments given to support the continued  selling of counterfeit and shoddy products sourced by  unethical Chinese suppliers  are ridiculous. Many of the goods sold are unsafe, containing heavy metals, and toxic chemicals. Electrical goods do not meet even the most basic of safety requirements. In plain language, these  hucksters sell crap that ends up in the garbage bin in less than a year. Does the world need more plastic garbage?

The road has been nothing but trouble for foreign consulates and the police with its daily  robberies, rapes and tales of woe from  tourists who quickly become victims. The garbage issee is known, and the poor sanitation  can only be solved if the inappropriate  use of roads and sidewalks is stopped. The road was built for transport, not as restaurant and vendor space.

There is nothing redeeming or positive about food vendors who are unable to meet the most basic of food sanitation requirements. Some people posting here boast of their delight at eating street food. Good for them. I hope they  have enjoyed the parasites and viruses they have picked up along the way.

This place should have been bulldozed long ago. Bangkok must advance and it cannot do this while this free for all continues.

On 8/9/2018 at 9:58 PM, 5633572526 said:

Khaosan Road was a good image and a great tourist draw for Thailand. It is internationally known and a draw for people all over the world. It was one of the first places I went when I got here and also a must see for anyone who visits me here. If you want sanitary go to Singapore but oh wait you probably can’t afford to live there so you want Thailand to ba a cheap version.

Hello, the 1970's called to say that it is now 2018 and time moved on, so should you.  You are breathing the foul fumes of a distant past. Today's Thais who are moving the nation forward neither need nor desire to have this filthy backward place. You argue for a farang ghetto where the debauched and hedonistic desires  of cheap low quality  visitors will be sated.  The country doesn't need them and they bring nothing of value with them.  Adapt to the changes or be left behind with the other farangs who still can't grasp the fact that Thailand isn't the impoverished country they knew 25+ years ago.

On 8/7/2018 at 2:04 PM, utalkin2me said:

Good riddance. How do we know the Thais don't want exactly what it looks like is happening: an end to a backpacker's cheap hangout. 

How do you know what Thais want and don't want while under the rule of a junta?   You don't know.  

It's been ages since I went to KSR, but some great and not-so-great memories there.  I thought it was a fun place for afternoon beers and gift shopping.  In the evenings I'd shoot pool and try to get lucky with the ladies. 555  Fun place now that I think more about it.  

14 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Hello, the 1970's called to say that it is now 2018 and time moved on, so should you.  You are breathing the foul fumes of a distant past. Today's Thais who are moving the nation forward neither need nor desire to have this filthy backward place. You argue for a farang ghetto where the debauched and hedonistic desires  of cheap low quality  visitors will be sated.  The country doesn't need them and they bring nothing of value with them.  Adapt to the changes or be left behind with the other farangs who still can't grasp the fact that Thailand isn't the impoverished country they knew 25+ years ago.

"You argue for a farang ghetto where the debauched and hedonistic desires  of cheap low quality  visitors will be sated." Poetry! ?

On 8/7/2018 at 3:11 AM, Thian said:

So now the Indian tailors have nobody to harass on the sidewalks? And the poor tribal lady with the frog who always harassed me while eating in a restaurant is also gone? Oh i will miss them so much.

And all those fake Nike slippers which break in 2 days and become waste, the tourists still miss those? 

They should open a nice market close to kao sarn and real shops in the fronts, taxi's on the street waiting...i don't see the problem.

Perhaps Signapore or North Korea would suit you more than Thailand.

3 hours ago, SheungWan said:

"You argue for a farang ghetto where the debauched and hedonistic desires  of cheap low quality  visitors will be sated." Poetry! ?

They spend tons of money.  All year round and it's money that goes directly to Thai families and small businesses.  The backpackers have created enormous wealth around Banglampoo.  When I first stayed on the KSR about 1990 there were no hotels.  The authorities destroyed vibrant areas and thriving communities elsewhere in BKK. Its authoritarian nonsense and bullying.

4 hours ago, falangjim said:

How do you know what Thais want and don't want while under the rule of a junta?   You don't know.  

It's been ages since I went to KSR, but some great and not-so-great memories there.  I thought it was a fun place for afternoon beers and gift shopping.  In the evenings I'd shoot pool and try to get lucky with the ladies. 555  Fun place now that I think more about it.  

TOTal guess. You are right I do not know, just assumed they would know the effects of the new policy. 

On 8/7/2018 at 4:18 AM, JimHuaHin said:

Ummm .....

Some of us older farangs who used to enjoy staying in Khao San Road in the 1970s and 1980s, and even the early 1990s, greatly dislike the current Khao San Road set up and have not ventured there for some time.

It is one big hole these days.

I went there in 2015 to see how it had changed. Walked down the street, had a beer, left. What was cool in 1990 was just another tourist trap. I'll probably have To go back there when my kids blow into town.

On the other hand, it could be that I am now too old.

Archived