Does it matter if your name is in the greenbook?

Lef22

8 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

Yes, because no one else would sell it to me as I had the old number plate with the red stripe.

In order to get the new number plate, I needed to go to the Department of Transport where they insisted my name to be in the green book.

Does your old number plate have an embossed seal on it.,  If not it was not an original plate and hence needed to be replaced with something better than a local shop made plate.

46 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

Yes, because no one else would sell it to me as I had the old number plate with the red stripe.

In order to get the new number plate, I needed to go to the Department of Transport where they insisted my name to be in the green book.

So what you said before was wrong:

13 hours ago, duanebigsby said:

It would need to be put in your name before you could buy the insurance and  legally ride it.

12 hours ago, duanebigsby said:

They would not allow me to buy insurance until I got the bike transferred from Chonburi province to Chiang Rai, greenbook from previous owner to my name and new license plate.

You had to transfer the bike because you wanted to get a new license plate in a different province (for example Chiang Mai can't issue an Udon Thani license plate), it had nothing to do with insurance or riding it legally itself

If you had gone to the DLT where the bike was registered at first you probably would not have had to change anything, they had just given you a new license plate

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jackdd said:

So what you said before was wrong:

You had to transfer the bike because you wanted to get a new license plate in a different province (for example Chiang Mai can't issue an Udon Thani license plate), it had nothing to do with insurance or riding it legally itself

If you had gone to the DLT where the bike was registered at first you probably would not have had to change anything, they had just given you a new license plate

I wasn't about to drag my old bike from Chiang Rai to Chonburi to get the new plate.

I was told I couldn't get insurance without the new plate.

8 hours ago, harrry said:

Does your old number plate have an embossed seal on it.,  If not it was not an original plate and hence needed to be replaced with something better than a local shop made plate.

I had to surrender it when I changed plates so I couldn't tell you.

I had bought insurance for a few years on the old plate but  plates in Thailand changed to new ones without that red stripe. If my bike had been registered in Chiang Rai, I could have bought insurance on the old plate and used it.

But mine was Chonburi registered so they insisted on the new plate.

Another thing I was wondering about: 

When you take your practical test will the DLT provide you with a bike to use, or will you have to bring your own? I realise it makes no sense having to bring your own bike when you don't yet have a licence, but nothing would surprise me in this country.

47 minutes ago, Lef22 said:

Another thing I was wondering about: 

When you take your practical test will the DLT provide you with a bike to use, or will you have to bring your own? I realise it makes no sense having to bring your own bike when you don't yet have a licence, but nothing would surprise me in this country.

Most bring their own   but you can "borrow" someone else's if you want.

On 8/7/2018 at 8:01 PM, Lef22 said:

I’m not too worried about selling it on: it’s not a particularly valuable bike but serves my needs well.

I just want to make sure that my name not being in the book isn’t something the police could ‘fine’ me for.

So who's name is in the green book? Do you know them or is it the person you bought the bike from. When you say " Incomplete Paperwork"  what paperwork is missing? - There isn't really much paperwork required to get the Green Book transferred.

1 hour ago, Formaleins said:

So who's name is in the green book? Do you know them or is it the person you bought the bike from. When you say " Incomplete Paperwork"  what paperwork is missing? - There isn't really much paperwork required to get the Green Book transferred.

The previous owner left Thailand before I bought the bike. I bought the bike from a third-party who gave me the greenbook and seemingly all the documents I’d need from the owner to transfer the name in the greenbook, but, having tried my best at Chonburi DLT to get it transferred, they were adamant something was missing. I think it was proof of residence of the owner, which would be impossible to attain as he was no longer in Thailand, but this was over two years ago so I could be misremembering. I even went through long-winded visits to Yamaha head office which ultimately proved fruitless.

On 8/7/2018 at 3:00 PM, duanebigsby said:

The only problems that occur would be if  the bike was registered in another province.

Then you absolutely need all the transfer documents.

Wrong

Edited by Sprigger

4 hours ago, Lef22 said:

but, having tried my best at Chonburi DLT to get it transferred, they were adamant something was missing.

Did you try using the services of one of the many "agents"  located just outside the DLT ?

also if the original owner left the country  and you can contact them   then a copy of the exit stamp from their passport can negate the need for a "residence certificate"

You do not need book in your name, can tax and insure at any of the previously mentioned inspection places.

you can tax an insure it in any province, regardless of where the bike is actually registered in. 

The Green book is merely proof of actual ownership, anyone can ride or tax / insure the bike in any province.

However, should you get done for speeding or any other infringement via cameras ( which are all over Bangkok ) the fine will be sent to the owner in the green book. ( He will not be happy ) if this happens too often then you could eventually  get arrested for non payment if the Police stop you for any other reason . 

Also, on some occasions the Police take away bikes if they catch you for a traffic offence etc and hold the bike until the fine is paid, if that ever happened , you could not prove it is your bike to collect etc . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sprigger said:

Wrong

You haven't read any of the other posts I've done one on the thread.

My out of province bike also had the outdated red-striped plate.

No one would sell me the insurance until I got a new plate which involved a proper transfer to my name in the greenbook.

Probably what I originally posted didn't apply to many, but it did to me.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2018 at 6:25 PM, duanebigsby said:

I had to surrender it when I changed plates so I couldn't tell you.

I had bought insurance for a few years on the old plate but  plates in Thailand changed to new ones without that red stripe. If my bike had been registered in Chiang Rai, I could have bought insurance on the old plate and used it.

But mine was Chonburi registered so they insisted on the new plate.

those red plates were province specific plates. I think it was cheaper registration/tax but the bike was limited to the specific province only. The normal white plates have no problems. My bike (and car) registered in BKK and for the last few years I've been paying tax and insurance in Chiang mai without problems. No one ever asked for my ID, only bike/car papers

• Thanks 1

I’m really pissed off and fed up. I spent the whole of yesterday (and a lot of money) going to Bangkok Immigration for the residence certificate, only to be told after hours of waiting that they can’t do me a residence certificate because my 90 days was stamped in Chachoengsao (my wife works there and I’m on her visa) despite the fact my address is in Bangkok. Shambles.

On 8/7/2018 at 9:54 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Only point is that you HAVE to go there for the vehicle inspection/test (bike older 5 years).

When does a vehicle need to be inspected? Bikes 5 year and car 7 year.

Is that older than 5 years for bikes or is it the 5th year of registration?

and Is that older than 7 years for cars or is it the 7th year of registration?

In both cases after the period of 5 or 7 years ends ("older than").

So for motorbikes: before the registration for the 6th year.

For cars: before the registration for the 8th year.

My car was first registered (bought) in September 2011.

This year (2018) I had to do the first technical inspection to get the sticker until Sep. 2019 (2562). I went early as I will be traveling in Sep.

Edited by KhunBENQ

7 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

In both cases after the period of 5 or 7 years ends.

So for motorbikes: before the registration for the 6th year.

For cars: before the registration for the 8th year.

My car was first registered (bought) in September 2011.

This year (2018) I had to do the first technical inspection to get the sticker until Sep. 2019 (2562). I went early as I will be traveling in Sep.

That’s what I thought, I have a Toyota that I first registered September 2012, when I picked up my CTP from my insurance agent I asked if an inspection was required, obviously they had no idea and just replied an incompetent YES.

I’m disappointed, have been using this agent in Pattaya since they opened,

I have 4 vehicles, house and condo insurance over the last 10 years, good business for them.

When I ask a question, btw an important question because haven’t had to do before they reply poorly.

1 hour ago, rickjza said:

That’s what I thought, I have a Toyota that I first registered September 2012, when I picked up my CTP from my insurance agent I asked if an inspection was required, obviously they had no idea and just replied an incompetent YES.

I’m disappointed, have been using this agent in Pattaya since they opened,

I have 4 vehicles, house and condo insurance over the last 10 years, good business for them.

When I ask a question, btw an important question because haven’t had to do before they reply poorly.

You people out there running these businesses providing a service for expats, train your staff.

Not everyone knows everything but get your staff to answer honestly, if they don’t know say “I don’t know” or better still - I’m not sure but I will get back to you with an answer.

TRAIN YOUR PEOPLE THE WAY YOU WERE TAUGHT. Don’t just sit back and reap the rewards.

A question about the insurance: I bought premium insurance for 300 baht along with the tax and inspection. This insurance has the previous owner’s name on it, so would I actually be able to make use of it myself; or have I just wasted 300 baht?

thanks

1 hour ago, Lef22 said:

A question about the insurance: I bought premium insurance for 300 baht along with the tax and inspection. This insurance has the previous owner’s name on it, so would I actually be able to make use of it myself; or have I just wasted 300 baht?

thanks

I assume this insurance is CTP, therefore the name is not relevant, the bike is insured. This is a minimum requirement to obtain full registration for the vehicle. 

Edited by rickjza

I plan to go to Bang Chak DLT early next week to get my motorbike licence.

I’ve heard from a couple of people that you need an appointment to get your licence (which can apparently take months) but I’ve not read anything of the sort online.

has anyone here show up on the day and taken their motorbike test, or have you had to make an appointment? I really need my licence soon so I’m praying no appointment is needed.

thanks

And a further question: how long is the affirmation of residency from the embassy valid for in regards to getting a motorbike licence?

I paid 2300 for it and I’m worried about it being wasted if I have to wait months for an appointment.

Just as an update for anyone interested - I got my car and bike licence on Monday; it turned out no appointment was needed and I didn’t even need to take the tests as apparently my car licence was good enough to get a motorbike licence too, so I’m all good to go.

I was actually stopped by the BiB the very next day, and I took great satisfaction in showing them my new licence and tax ?

8 minutes ago, Lef22 said:

Just as an update for anyone interested - I got my car and bike licence on Monday; it turned out no appointment was needed and I didn’t even need to take the tests as apparently my car licence was good enough to get a motorbike licence too, so I’m all good to go.

I was actually stopped by the BiB the very next day, and I took great satisfaction in showing them my new licence and tax ?

Did you actually get 2 separate licenses, one for car and one for bike ? Or are you presuming the car license covers both. They dont usually issue a bike license just because you have a car license.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Did you actually get 2 separate licenses, one for car and one for bike ? Or are you presuming the car license covers both. They dont usually issue a bike license just because you have a car license.

Yep I got a thai car and bike licence as a result of having a uk car licence, because on the back it says I could ride a bike (which I’d never actually noticed before).

Edited by Lef22

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I'm quite sure that in the UK (or Europe) he may drive motorbikes up to 50cc (or up to 125cc if he is older), but the Thai person processing his license was not aware of this limitation (so he should not have gotten the Thai motorbike license) and gave him a full motorbike license.

• Like 1