Getting Out Of Bkk

MTD

A series of events are making it more difficult for me to get where I need to go.

I arrive in BKK near 11:00 pm on a Saturday. And need to be in Phitsanulok as early as possible on Sunday (or Saturday if someone knows something I don't).

Initially I wasn't in a hurry and figured I'd take the train, plane, or bus depending upon how I felt. Now I need to be there asap. There is a 6:30 am Thaiair flight; However, I took this time to switch credit card companies and at the time of my travel will not have one with me (thinking that my bank card would suffice). Thaiair doesn't except bank cards. Now I don't have a ticket for the 6:30 flight.

So, my question is this -- What is the best (fastest) way for me to get north? Can I purchase a Thaiair ticket when I arrive? Will a Thaiair ticket office even be open at the airport? What are the chances of catching a sleeper train north at midnight?

Thanks so much for the help.

I just checked the train schedule on sanook.com, the last chance to catch a train to Phitsanulok would be the 23.10pm Sprinter from Bangkok to Sawankhalok (Sukhothai province). The train would be stopping at Don Muang station at midnight sharp and would be stopping at Phitsanulok station at 05:32am ... that is... if everything I see on sanook.com is up to date...

Doesn't look good anyway, I have never had pleasant experiences with these trains.

Make it 4.5 - 5 hrs.. Phitsanuloke is on a less than stellar highway, so doing an average speed of 100km/h may be difficult. Then again from the airport you're already outside and a bit North of Bangkok, and not in any kind of rush hour.. So I'll wager 4.5 hrs.

Don Muang to Nakhon Sawan is a good road and can be done in two hours, after that it gets slower.

A good portion of Highway 117 from Nakhon Sawan to Phitsanulok has been upgraded to four-lane. The middle thirty to forty kilometers was undone the last time I was through there (about six months ago).

The road up is pretty good, you dont need to go as far as Nakon Sawan, if you turn off the asia highway just after Ingburi singposted Tak Far and then straight up to Pitsanuluk, roads not as good but quiet and shorter, should be there in 4 hrs and should get a taxi 300bht no prob.

• 2 weeks later...

heres an interesting update on the issue of getting to Phitsanuloke or anywhere else up country for that matter ........I was in a taxi the other day and hanging on the back of the drivers seat was a price list for up country destinations......Phitsanuloke was 3,000 baht ! The driver said you canring the taxi base.....I think it was 02 911 4444 the blue and red ones.