Thousands to be hit by Kaeng Krachan overspill

webfact

Thousands to be hit by Kaeng Krachan overspill

national August 08, 2018 01:00

By The Nation

eb28a9d5619f380b32a1277f759fa2e5.jpeg

A woman stands behind the cement barrier she built to keep her shop in Phetchaburi’s Muang district safe. A large volume of water released from Kaeng Krachan Dam was expected to hit the area last night.

FLOODING INEVITABLE AS DISCHARGE SWEEPS ACROSS AREAS ALONG PHETCHABURI RIVER

COMMUNITIES IN Phetchaburi’s Muang district are expected to be flooded for about two weeks after run-off from the overwhelmed Kaeng Krachan Dam hit the area last night.

0a57ee28291c1aa86ba324e04ddfab99.jpeg

The dam was discharging between 200 and 250 cubic metres of water per second, as of press time yesterday. The Phetchaburi River, which runs into the Muang district at the heart of Phetchaburi, can hold about 150 cubic metres of water per second. 

“Although we must discharge water from the dam, we are trying to reduce the volume that will go into the river by diverting some 55 cubic metres of runoff to a canal and irrigation systems,” Royal Irrigation Department’s director-general Thongplew Kongjun said. 

458ce47eccae5fa4c3006b9906dccaaf.jpeg

Regardless of their efforts, it would be inevitable that thousands of people in communities in low-lying zones along the Phetchaburi River would face flooding, he said. 

He estimated the floodwater level would be about 50 centimetres. 

bc85e1e2452468a61dec8e94c019632a.jpeg

Water volume in the Kaeng Krachan National Park, in the upper part of Phetchaburi province, has already exceeded its holding capacity. 

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha is expected to inspect water discharge at the dam today. 

“Natural disasters are unavoidable but the government will try to minimise adverse impacts,” he said. 

Agriculture and Cooperatives Minister Grisada Boonrach yesterday said that good preparations had been made to minimise the impact on people living in Phetchaburi’s town. 

“We have even diverted some water into empty farmland along the way. By doing this, the runoff will be reduced. It will also be slower for the runoff to reach the town, giving residents there enough time to move their belongings,” he said. 

Prayut emphasised that people living downstream must move their belongings to higher ground and evacuate if floodwaters continued to rise. 

The weather bureau has forecast increased rainfall and heavier downpours in various parts of Thailand until tomorrow. 

9025477c1c3310823b5b50903371d0be.jpeg

Landslides and flood warnings were issued for 35 provinces. 

Apart from Phetchaburi, Chiang Rai, Phayao, Nan, Tak, Kamphaeng Phet, Sukhothai, Phitsanulok, Phichit, Phetchabun, Nong Khai, Bueng Kan, Udon Thani, Sakon Nakhon, Nakhon Phanom, Mukdahan, Ratchaburi, Suphan Buri, Kanchanaburi, Uthai Thani, Chainat, Nakhon Sawan, Nakhon Nayok, Prachin Buri, Sa Kaew, Chon Buri, Rayong, Chanthaburi, Trat, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Chumphon, Surat Thani, Ranong, Phang Nga and Phuket are also at risk. 

Grisada said if it rained, the water volume going to the Phetchaburi River might be up to 300 cubic metres per second. 

“That means Phetchaburi town may succumb to floods. [However] with current preparations, flooding should not be as widespread as last year,” he said. 

The Royal Irrigation Department has been closely monitoring water levels at large and medium-size reservoirs across the country. 

As of yesterday, water volume at two large dams – Nam Oun in Sakhon Nakhon province and Kaeng Krachan in Phetchaburi – exceeded their capacity. 

About 21 medium-size dams were also overwhelmed, most of them in the Northeast. 

Kanchanaburi Governor Jirakiat Bhumisawasdi yesterday warned people downstream of three local dams – the Srinakharin, Vajiralongkorn and Mae Klong – to be aware of the overflowing river. 

The Srinakharin Dam has now discharged 20 million cubic metres of water, the Vajiralongkorn Dam 43 million cubic metres of water, and the Mae Klong Dam 60 million cubic metres of water. 

“We have noticed that water levels in downstream zones has risen by between 30 and 40 centimetres,” Jirakiat said. 

He said local authorities are preparing flood relief and rescue operations. 

A landslide already hit Mae Hong Son province yesterday morning, with a local road blocked by large rocks. 

Sop Moei district chief Pha-ob Binsa-ard said local officials were trying to clear the blockage with heavy machinery.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30351681

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-08-08

Thailand braces for floods, residents lay bricks, sandbags

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Businesses in Thailand's southwestern Petchaburi province blocked doors with sandbags and bricks against possible flooding on Tuesday as heavy rains threatened to cause a dam to overflow.

Rain storms are forecast through coming days, and the head of Thailand's military government warned that evacuation plans might need to be set in place.

"Many areas might need to have an evacuation plan in place," Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha told reporters as he prepared to visit the province, some 168 km (104 miles) southwest of Bangkok, on Wednesday.

"Any homes downstream must be prepared to evacuate to higher ground," he added.

Thailand suffered its worst floods in half a century in 2011. The floods killed more than 900 people, crippled industry and dented economic growth.

Officials in Petchaburi said they were confident that water levels at the Kaeng Krachan Dam and any water run-off could be managed.

"Four districts could be affected ... The governor and local administration are preparing sandbags and water pumps," Interior Minister Anupong Paochinda told reporters in Bangkok on Tuesday.

Television news channels showed residents in Petchaburi laying sandbags and bricks in front of the doorways to shops and banks, and authorities intended to issue warnings to tourists visiting resorts on the Gulf of Thailand's coast.

"Operators and resort owners are aware of the situation. We will send an alert to tourists," Tourism Minister Weerasak Kowsurat told reporters.

The current rainy season has already caused havoc in neighboring Cambodia and Laos.

In Laos, 31 people have been confirmed dead and 130 are still missing after a part of hydroelectric project in the southern province of Attapeu collapsed last month.

The company building the dam has said heavy rain and flooding caused the collapse.

Cambodia's National Disaster Management Center said flooding caused by rising water levels in the Mekong River has killed eight people and 5,000 families have been evacuated from across five provinces.

(Reporting by Amy Sawitta Lefevre, Panu Wongcha-um, Pracha Hariraksapitak, Panarat Thepgumpanat and Tobias Wertime; Additional reporting by Prak Chan Thul in PHNOM PENH; Writing by Amy Sawitta Lefevre; Editing by Michael Perry and Simon Cameron-Moore)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-08-08

I do remember the 2011 flood I was In Bang Bua thong 

And from what I am reading the dams are even fuller now than they were then.

And the  Rain season is just starting.

i am wondering not if but when it hits Nontaburi again in that area and hope it is not as bad because I rember the cost .

i had just renovated my house and gardens and lost almost every thing in the ground level . 

Now I just did some new gardening and hedges hope I don’t lose it again 

if those in the area could keep me up to date because I am out of country now and my with is there with my kids 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha is expected to inspect water discharge at the dam today. 

“Natural disasters are unavoidable but the government will try to minimise adverse impacts,” he said. 

And there's silly me thinking that the dam was man made.

2 hours ago, WilliamCave said:

i am wondering not if but when it hits Nontaburi again in that area and hope it is not as bad because I rember the cost .

i had just renovated my house and gardens and lost almost every thing in the ground level . 

if those in the area could keep me up to date because I am out of country now and my with is there with my kids 

I will try to keep you up to date, but it depends a bit where in Bang Bua Thong. I live there but there are area's that flood before others. Where I live never floods except in 2011. So far the rain has been in an area that feeds an other river not the one that goes to our side. Does not mean it can't get bad again. However in 2011 they started far too late with letting water out and it came together with high tides (so they could drain less and extra rains). But we will see, i hope its not a problem this year. I remember the problems too.

6 minutes ago, bignbad said:

Notice they are building walls half way across the pavement, that will become theirs permanently and less area to walk. Will they ever be removed?? More selling area, free!!

They will need to break them down again so they can get the water out when the water starts coming up through the toilet. 

"water discharges from the dam"

I may miss something but there's 3 things I just don't get:

- why to discharge brutally instead of natural over-spilling?

- what's the point of building a dam that can not cope with its own capacity (we hear about "risk due to brimming dams")?

- why are dams the cause of any problem since they precisely can delay/level a flow that would otherwise have been uncontrolled?

1 hour ago, Mitker said:

"water discharges from the dam"

I may miss something but there's 3 things I just don't get:

- why to discharge brutally instead of natural over-spilling?

- what's the point of building a dam that can not cope with its own capacity (we hear about "risk due to brimming dams")?

- why are dams the cause of any problem since they precisely can delay/level a flow that would otherwise have been uncontrolled?

I think the word you're looking for is 'incompetence.'

It wasn't more than maybe two or three days ago that some puuyai in the Ministry of Silly Walks and Water Management stated there would not be floods in Petchaburi.  Although any fool knows that's not reality, why they march out some mouthpiece to supposedly calm the masses with utter drivel is beyond comprehension.  At least the unwashed masses who don't wish to be washed are taking proactive measures at advert damage to their property.. 

Like the Tham Luang / Wild Boars incident, Thailand simply does not have the expertise to develop a long-term water management solution without outside assistance - but unlike the Tham Luang / Wild Boar incident outside assistance will never be accepted so the yearly cycles of flooding will continue ad-infinitum.  Who suffers? 

Classic!  

1822697541_Screenshotfrom2018-08-0810-16-50.png.b325dd18fb2ebc4958d2a2bcc54f9adf.png

4 hours ago, WilliamCave said:

Not even close to flood conditions in Bang Bua Thong now, may change of course.

Can anyone confirm what is stated above?

That the dams feeding into the Chao Praya are fuller now than in 2011.

(in 2011 the water was a bit more than a meter up on the walls inside the house,

would not mind if that did not happen again)

Can't figure it out-  The road to the South goes directly past Phetchaburi  Central District - it was flooded last year and prior years.  Why wasn't the dam level lowered progressively a little at a time weeks ago when the officials could seek it rising continually?  Now when it is at 100% level- an emergency exists and areas flooded by excess water being let out of the dam.  

This is not just weather related- it is a lack of proper water management and is repeated over and over again. 

This is NOT a natural occurrence.. it's totally  man-made and avoidable with prior planning & management..

but when you have morons in charge who understand nothing about water management we all know what can happen!

They say they can manage the floods.. how so????

They can't manage the water when it's contained within the dams so how do they plan to manage the water once it's free flowing towards the townships???

Sack them all and get some people in charge who know what they're doing as apposed to people who know people who actually know sweet F.A !!!!

Water volume............has already exceeded its holding capacity”.

From an engineering point of view this statement is just nonsense. When the water behind a dam reaches its maximum level, any additional water simply overflows down the spillway. Also, engineering structures like dams can usually support at least twice the maximum service load, as long as they were correctly designed, built and maintained.

Generation after generation of government just too busy helping themselves before their times are up for the next in line. Therefore, simply there is totally nobody bothers about how people live their life.

1 hour ago, Stoker58 said:

Water volume............has already exceeded its holding capacity”.

From an engineering point of view this statement is just nonsense. When the water behind a dam reaches its maximum level, any additional water simply overflows down the spillway. Also, engineering structures like dams can usually support at least twice the maximum service load, as long as they were correctly designed, built and maintained.

No, not nonsense. Fuller than full is fully possible. I have seen it several times.

Full dam, not very big spillway, heavy rain, the water depth in the spillway can become quite significant.

Also, heavy wind in the direction from downstream dam towards the dam normally results in the whole top segment of the water

being shifted away from the dam, which makes room for lots and lots of rain into the dam, (where the top segment used to be).

The above are not freak scenarios, occur not infrequently.

The latter can potentially be dangerous if the dam wall is not cast concrete but heaped up stones/sand/gravel or what have you.

When you charge for water in a country where it is plentiful, this is what you get. Pipe the excess to India or other countries that need it.

A dam project of mega proportions. Use the money the banks rob farang of every time they transfer their hard earned dwindling savings.

While I am more than happy to criticize the various government depts. for mismanagement, it does look as though this amount of water in the dam was unexpected and could not have been dealt with earlier.  As the attached pic shows, a huge amount of runoff entered the reservoir within the last two weeks or so.

Dam.jpg

Archived