Deportees set to arrive from US

geovalin

Thirty Cambodian deportees from the US are expected to arrive in the Kingdom on August 22, amid much apprehension.

Either born in the US or having migrated there as youngsters, they cannot understand Khmer, the culture is alien to them and they have no contact with their relatives here.

To make matters worse, the government is hard-pressed to deal with them, despite the deportations being carried out under a Memorandum of Understanding which is part of the Repatriations Agreement signed by both countries in 2002.

read more https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/deportees-set-arrive-us

phnom_penh_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phenom Pen Post 08/08

22 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

It appears to be a prisoner release program from reading actual article.   All 30 are reported to be former prisoners.  And it clearly states this program is ongoing and has been in effect for years now - nothing to do with any new policy.

I agree with sounds like the continuation of a rather established program whereby non-citizens who are convicted of a range of specified crimes in the US, are then later also subject to removal proceedings (to the county of their birth- in this case KH) on a post-incarceration basis.

Theres a fair number of mainstream and secondary level news organization reports on this matter posted on YT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soistalker said:

Shitty reporting. You cannot deport someone born in America. You cannot deport an American.

It appears you will see that you are 'wrong'......... with your own eyes........

Look at all the mexicans born illegally in the US..... They are shipping them out too.....

Something about being born in the US with 'illegal' parents....... According to what i see in the news now days.....

As an American I am very pleased to hear about THESE 'Cambodians' being deported after finishing 'Prison Sentences'..... There were (are) many 'Cambodian Gangs' in the US.... They were among some of the most 'cut-throat' of gangs, much similar to the  MS13 gangs...... Usually young adults......

Read up on it before you get so 'vocal'.....

I say good riddence........

Salvador

Edited by sawadeeken
correct MS-13/ add picture
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sawadeeken said:

It appears you will see that you are 'wrong'......... with your own eyes........

Look at all the mexicans born illegally in the US..... They are shipping them out too.....

No, you are wrong.   If somebody is born within the US, that person is a US citizen per the Constitution and a US citizen cannot be deported under any circumstances (even if the mother is an illegal immigrant).  In this particular case, the Cambodian news story doesn't in fact say these people were US citizens so, if deported, they were not citizens.   As to your comment regarding regarding Mexican children born within the US to an illegal immigrant mother, there's no such thing as being "born illegally" in the US and those kids are citizens and cannot be deported (however, some of those kids end up voluntarily going back to their home country with parents but they forever remain US citizens and can come back anytime they want). 

I'd also note that a person born in an airport "transit area" within the US are not citizens as technically they are not within the US.  There is another very rare exception where a naturalized citizen is subjected to a "denaturalization process" which means their citizenship is revoked due to some fraud in the process.  If denaturalized, they can be deported. 

Edited by CMBob
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, CMBob said:

No, you are wrong.   If somebody is born within the US, that person is a US citizen per the Constitution and a US citizen cannot be deported under any circumstances (even if the mother is an illegal immigrant).  In this particular case, the Cambodian news story doesn't in fact say these people were US citizens so, if deported, they were not citizens.   As to your comment regarding regarding Mexican children born within the US to an illegal immigrant mother, there's no such thing as being "born illegally" in the US and those kids are citizens and cannot be deported (however, some of those kids end up voluntarily going back to their home country with parents but they forever remain US citizens and can come back anytime they want). 

I'd also note that a person born in an airport "transit area" within the US are not citizens as technically they are not within the US.  There is another very rare exception where a naturalized citizen is subjected to a "denaturalization process" which means their citizen is revoked due to some fraud in the process.  If denaturalized, they can be deported. 

You offer many 'valid' arguments....... Some don't fit what I've seen in the news but will give you a lot of credibility.......... Let's wait to see if they 'are deported' on the 22nd....

I personally hope so....... If they have been in prison........

I've heard a lot of news in the US about 'Cambodian' (Asian) gangs (they are NOT nice people)..........

• Like 1

I was under the impression that if you were born in the US regardless whether your parents were citizens or not,  you were considered to be a US citizen.  Maybe my understanding is wrong.  

1 minute ago, khaowong1 said:

I was under the impression that if you were born in the US regardless whether your parents were citizens or not,  you were considered to be a US citizen.  Maybe my understanding is wrong.  

Nope. Born on US soil, you are a citizen. Hence Chinese pregnancy tourism.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CMBob said:

I'd also note that a person born in an airport "transit area" within the US are not citizens as technically they are not within the US.

I'm not sure if that's relevant anymore since the US eliminated the TWOV (Transit WithOut Visa) program quite a while ago.  Now, anybody changing planes in the USA from one international flight to another needs to clear Immigrations and enter the country.