Bangkok's Dusit Zoo To Close Forever In 3 Weeks

webfact

6 minutes ago, Thian said:

was a backpacker that time and walked to the zoo from kao san. So the backpackers will miss that as well soon.

I doubt, for them today party time is more important and watching a movie in one of the guest houses in afternoon.

1 minute ago, bermannor said:

Correct, Singapore zoo is perfect same as night safari. But could many Thais with family afford it?

Well the Thai can sure build something similar, plenty of money around. They best make it cheap so EVERY tourist to Thailand will come to see it and talks about it back home. BKK has nothing big to attract tourists, like Disney Sea Tokyo, Disney Hongkong, Pyramid Kuala Lumpur.

Singapore also has many great and free botanical gardens, also good to attract tourists.

The Zoo also has an educational function which is hardly needed for the Thai who are far behind at animal welfare. 

Well i hope the new zoo won't be in Pathum Thani but somewhere in BKK near public transport. They should use whole pak-kret island for that in the middle of the chao praya.

1 hour ago, TunnelRat69 said:

until they instituted the double charge for foreigners.

Double charge? And 150 Baht is too much? Cheap Charlie!

Screenshot (45).png

Edited by bermannor

Posts containing links to Bangkok Post have been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not Thaivisa.com
In rare cases, forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources under special permission.

3 minutes ago, Thian said:

Well i hope the new zoo won't be in Pathum Thani but somewhere in BKK near public transport. They should use whole pak-kret island for that in the middle of the chao praya.

You must be joking, bulldozers wellcome! This is not China! And as I wrote before, the plot was donated!

But the hope dies at last.

2 minutes ago, metisdead said:

Posts containing links to Bangkok Post have been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not Thaivisa.com
In rare cases, forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources under special permission.

Did not know that, sorry!

18 hours ago, secondfusilier said:

Good and about time, all zoos, animal farms and safari parks in Thailand should be closed down.

Most zoos worldwide have had incidents and accusations of not treating their animals correctly but Thai zoos money making tourist attractions bring this to a new level and they bring no educational value to their visitors.

The only exemption should animal farms that are not open to the public, for example a snake farm for milking snakes to produce antivenom.

It's quite shocking to see how badly wild and often endangered animals are treated in captivity in a country were you could be sent down for kicking a soi dog.

I agree with your sentiments but i think there is a need worldwide to protect all animals in some way that face habitat destruction and the threat from poachers. The question is how do we do this? We seem unable to deal with in the countries the threats they face. So there must be some kind of preservation in a safe environment. 

There is also education and research needed. Does there need to be some element of profit in this?

I can't stand to see animals caged but at least they are alive and not been shot by some a**hole with an AK-47 made in China..

Its a difficult problem morally to deal with in my mind.

2 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

The "Rest of the Story" is the property is too valuable for animals, Bangkok needs another Condominium complex, or another Mega-Mall.  Wanna bet it doesn't turn into a 

Green Space for Bangkokonians to enjoy???

Sorry, my previous post was removed due to link to Bangkok Post.

The Dusit Zoo land belongs to the Crown Property Bureau (see Wikupedia) and it is not known yet what happens with it.

10 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

I can't stand to see animals caged but at least they are alive and not been shot by some a**hole with an AK-47 made in China..

I think you mean an American big game hunter who auctioned an endangered animal in RSA and is a member of the NRA with an American made gun. So, don't twist the reality.

Edited by bermannor
Spelling

1 hour ago, Thian said:

Well 20-25 years ago it was normal for hi-so's drive in the zoo over the paths...

I was a backpacker that time and walked to the zoo from kao san. So the backpackers will miss that as well soon.

Like Changi airport is worldfamous because it's the best airport Bangkok needs a Superzoo ....Something like the Sunway Pyramid in Kuala Lumpur but bigger and better. It's a zoo, waterpark, attractionpark, shopping mall, hotel and more...very nice...will go back there soon.

One thing will be for sure, plenty of food stalls and restaurants.

3 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

I agree. Rather depressing place.

Still, rather a big attraction for Thais and  not thought for farangs who get depressed when they see an animal in a cage but hurry back to Khao San road to eat some spare rips or Ksntucky fried chicken.

Just now, bermannor said:
1 minute ago, LomSak27 said:

I agree. Rather depressing place.

Still, rather a big attraction for Thais and  not thought for farangs who get depressed when they see an animal in a cage but hurry back to Khao San road to eat some spare rips or Ksntucky fried chicken.

Might step soap box, grab a coffee and visit the place yourself; Shock, Gasp, Horror.  ?  The g Friends sister's family felt the same, and that was over 5 years ago. I can only imagine the state of disrepair it is in today. When you are done berm, you can always head back to Khao San Road and get a smoothie while having a henna tattoo. 

Make it so     :thumbsup: 

2 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

Why is Dusit zoo being relocated?....Seem you have a lot of answers.

Absolutly not, just what I get from google. And most I said before. It is 75 years old, small for a modern zoo and a new plot was donated. The Dusit land belongs to CPB. That's all what I have to say.

3 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I have lived in and visited Bangkok for almost fifty years - my first trip to the Zoo was in 1969 on R&R from Vietnam when I was 19, then about twenty times thru the years after - until they instituted the double charge for foreigners.  Ain't been back since...........you do have good points, but I still bet a shopping mall pops up in the next ten years........:wai:

I'll take that bet any day.

Just go to google maps and see where the zoo is located... right next to the King's palace. You think he wants a 10 story shopping mall next door with people eating their subways while looking out over one of his palaces? Plus all the extra traffic in front of the gates of people going shopping? Think again.

My guess is the area will be used as extension of the palace. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

Just go to google maps and see where the zoo is located... right next to the King's palace. You think he wants a 10 story shopping mall next door with people eating their subways while looking out over one of his palaces? Plus all the extra traffic in front of the gates of people going shopping? Think again.

I am sure the CPB has some detailed ideas about use of Dusit land. Phone them and ask!

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Consultant companies have already surveyed the area in order to make sure meet the international standard.

ppfff, they better get ready to be bribed. (cynicism alert!)

...and, just as an aside, I wish the grammar / general prose of TVF was somewhere approaching 'international standard'. Getting harder to return to this site, the articles seem to have been drafted by an illiterate half the time.

Edited by CanterbrigianBangkoker

10 hours ago, bermannor said:

Which public zoo you did see that?

I didn't and I wouldn't, but if you do not know or believe that these shows exist then try typing 'Thailand orangutan boxing' into Google.

Safari World still have the advertisement for orangutan boxing on their website.

1 hour ago, secondfusilier said:

I didn't and I wouldn't, but if you do not know or believe that these shows exist then try typing 'Thailand orangutan boxing' into Google.

Safari World still have the advertisement for orangutan boxing on their website.

Safari World is a public zoo?

18 hours ago, laocowboy2 said:

Went there in Jan as GF wanted to see Tigers. Place looked very forlorn. But at least it was a green space - what are they doing with the site?

Well,.... property development

16 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

:wai::wai::wai::wai::wai::wai: