Basic affordable health insurance

SyriusB

A few years ago SCB bank were doing a cheap annual health insurance for up to 100000 baht claim per time, for 2500 baht per year.

Does anyone know of similar basic schemes that are currently active?

I had a good experience with the SCB insurance. Had an accident and was treated over 7 days at Bangkok Samui Hospital, with no cash required from me by the hospital.

Insurance that cheap is always either (1) accident only or (2) has such a low cap as to be worthless. Which 100K definitely is.

Claims at private hospitals can easily exceed 3 million baht for catastrophic events. Evenaat government hospital, can exceed 1 million easily.  Many, many farangs have ended up in hospitals with bills in the millions of baht they could not pay and had difficulty being discharged as a result (among other problems).

We have had cases on this  board of people with lowball policies (e.g. 100K) whose insurance limits were reached within the first 24 hours of hospitalization after a major accident while still needing months of continued care. The fact that your past accident did not cost more than 100K is not an indication of what future hospital costs will be. A heart attack with stent placement for example, if no complications, about 500-600K at a private hospital; 2 stents about 800K, any complications, several million etc. Major accident requiring multiple surgeries and ICU stays, easily 3million++.

You need a policy that provides for at least 1 million per claim or 3 million per year if you are willing to use only government hospitals, 3-4 times that if you want the private option. That will cost much more - how much, depends on your age, which policy  and whether you accept a deductible (excess).

If you are not settled permanently in Thailand or spend only part of the year here,  and are still eligible for care under a health scheme in your home country, then a travel policy may be an option and would cost less than a regular policy. If you are here permanently, you should get a decent policy NOW as the older you are, the more difficulty you will have getting one due to age and the inevitable development of pre-existing conditions. be sure it is a policy which guarantees lifetime renewal and does nto increase rates on an individual basis because of prior claims or change in health status - which means, and internationally issued policy as pretty much all Thai issued policies do these things.

13 hours ago, SyriusB said:

Thanks for your good advice Sheryl.

Can you recommend an internationally issued policy which covers up to 1000000 baht per claim and 3000000 baht per year?

I think you can find many recent threads on this , if you search TV

I've heard that the maximum age is 55  to obtain  affordable  insurance, is that still correct ?      

And would a knee replacement be a  "pre existing condition" ?    

Pretty much any internationslly issued policy will have sufficient coverage. Most provide 1 million US per year, more than enough.

There are many to choose from if you arr under 60. Over 60, smaller range of choice. How old are you?

premiums do go up with age especially from around 60 onward. But so does the likelihood of having claims.

A knee replacement would probably lead to an exclusion for arthrititis and related problems.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived