We can't fine people 100K or send them to jail for smoking on the beach, admits Pattaya official

webfact

We can't fine people 100K or send them to jail for smoking on the beach, admits Pattaya official

38728927_2011940938826830_3363484250656473088_n.jpg

Pictures: Sophon Cable

The head of Pattaya's thesakit authority has responded to claims that tourists are still messing up the beach by smoking and tossing their cigarette butts.

He said that the local authorities hands are tied when it comes to big penalties.

But when asked to come up with statistics for how many small fines have been issued he was just as evasive.

Sophon Cable interviewed Jeerawat Sukhonthasap after a Fanpage was rife with comment that Pattaya's beaches were as filthy as ever littered with discarded cigarettes and people smoking - and they pointed the finger squarely at tourists.

38793869_2011941105493480_565026419785072640_n.jpg

This is despite signage going up in many places in Thailand saying that offenders can face 100,000 baht fines and a year in jail.

Jeerawat effectively said that there was no way that anyone was going to jail or being fined such a large sum.

Those regulations are based on environmental laws, he said. The thesakit (local authority responsible for such matters) can in reality only fine people up to 2,000 baht for littering under "phor ror bor" regulations.

But Jeerawat couldn't even say how many, if any had been fined this smaller amount of money.

38686949_2011941055493485_58554113780088832_n.jpg

He told Sophon that there were no statistics available because smoking fines are not considered separate from those issued for littering.

So he doesn't know.

Thaivisa notes that back in February there was a huge song and dance that smoking on beaches was to be ended by the threat of draconian fines and even imprisonment.

The reaction of the Thai public now is:

"What happened?"

Source: Sophon Cable

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-08-09

100k.jpg

1517396373_3366-org.jpg

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, webfact said:

The reaction of the Thai public now is: "What happened?"

Hmmm! Nothing happened, nor will it! Seriously, what did they expect? Thailand is full of crackdowns that last a few days then peter out. People wouldn't still be traveling in the back of a pick up if a crackdown was serious. The evasiveness on fines issued means it is zero to date, but he can't admit that without losing face. Shame really. I was looking forward to the song and dance when they threw a foreigner in jail for a year, and to see how it would be denied it would have an impact on tourism when the international press got hold of it.

Now I know why the beaches are littered.

Smoking tourists.

Only tourists of course and cigarette butts only.

Xenophobic or just a hypocritical joke?

Don't compare with beaches left behind by Thai tourists please.

That would be Thai bashing!

49 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Don't worry, the NEW beach, along with the mess will all be washed away within the next month or so.

sad but true..and left behind , a worse mess than when they started...rows of exposed  sand bags...this is a complete disaster

sorry Mr. Here in jomtien it is Thai people there sit on beach drinking and smoking and just leave their garbish and cigarette butts in the sand if you don't believe me I can send you meny pics and movies about this 

don't blame the tourist 

P. S. And ofcores driving drunk home 

remember clean up for your self before blaming us tourists 

11 hours ago, webfact said:

But Jeerawat couldn't even say how many, if any had been fined this smaller amount of money.

Well, it should be possible to collect the police ticket copies or receipts each cops turn in.  In most countries the tickets/citations in each book has to be accounted for.  There can't be missing tickets.  This helps in the accounting, protecting against fake tickets being issued, etc. 

This is exactly what I said when this first came out months ago and I was 100% correct

I 100% agree with fining people who litter but for people properly using ashtrays and disposing of their waste correctly I see no problem

I would question who it is that is throwing their butts in the sand - tourists might be in the minority for that one 

10 hours ago, stud858 said:

Probably society's fault.  If you see someone light up just let them know politely that they can be fined. If they keep it up chase down a copper. 

wrong - if they throw their butt in the sand then yes you would be right, it is a littering offence

didn't you read the OP before you posted

as for littering in general, Thailand has a massive problem, just look around next time you are out and about, it is one of the things I first notice when I take a trip to my home country  - how clean it is, I think we get used to seeing the filth and rubbish after being here a long time - we blank it out. But it is everywhere and it is horrendous 

13 hours ago, stud858 said:

Probably society's fault.  If you see someone light up just let them know politely that they can be fined. If they keep it up chase down a copper. 

Chase down a what!!!! Where do I find one of those???? 

13 hours ago, stud858 said:

Ahh.. the brown socks to the knees and sandal wearing brigade....

Good way to get a throat punch using those sissy tactics

Am I missing something?

Nowhere does it say that "foreign" tourists are to blame for littering.

The term tourist applies equally to both domestic and foreign visitors.. 

Here's the Oxford Dictionary definition of a tourist: A person who is travelling or visiting a place for pleasure.

Beaches are filthy.  A number of well placed and maintained garbage bins may entice beach goers to use them. 

Failing that how about fencing beaches off and limit entry to monitored gates. Make sure that nobody bring on any food/ beverages, packing material, cigarettes etc. anything that could become trash. (I mean this sarcastically....) 

17 hours ago, webfact said:

But when asked to come up with statistics for how many small fines have been issued he was just as evasive.

Of course he was, probably because many "Fines" went straight into the pockets of the Tessakit mafia, as happened in Bangkok in the past.

10 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

sorry Mr. Here in jomtien it is Thai people there sit on beach drinking and smoking and just leave their garbish and cigarette butts in the sand if you don't believe me I can send you meny pics and movies about this 

don't blame the tourist 

P. S. And ofcores driving drunk home 

remember clean up for your self before blaming us tourists 

Oh come on, stop telling the truth

you know Thailand can't face the truth.

Face, being the real issue,   like many problems here.

But it's still a laugh here.

Right i'm off to Soi 6 for a quick smoke.

Get a lucky 80 baht lottery ticket from the temple.

and a bear at the 7/11

All very do able at 08:00 in the morning. :thumbsup:

Archived