UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

4 hours ago, My Thai Life said:

Back in the early 80s computer systems were only in limited domains, and extremely limited in application. The PC and internet had not been invented. Inter-organisational computer networks were not in use commercially, or only in an extremely limited form. Technologies such as RFIDs hadn't been developed commercially. These technologies are now in use in a variety of border situations, and new applications emerge with regularity.

Your point about human nature is a valid one. But it hasn't disappeared with the EU, witness the emissions scams pepertrated by some of the German car makers for example.

Same old brexiteer thinking and paranoia. Make out that brexit bureaucracy is irrelevant and then point the finger at the Europeans.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Mad cow disease seen in Scotland should be some sort of reminder why the EU would be concerned about an open land border under different agricultural regimes.

The news that a cow in Scotland has been diagnosed with bovine spongiform encephalopathy, better known as BSE or “mad cow disease”, has reawakened the terrible memories of the 1980s and 90s epidemic .

That outbreak saw 180,000 cattle infected and millions slaughtered, but also introduced the public to the terrifying human cousin of BSE, known as variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD).

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/mad-cow-disease-scotland-aberdeen-bse-cjd-prion-john-gummer-beef-burger-a8591066.html

6 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I have it on good authority that if the UK opted to remain then all existing opt outs and rebates would be retained

All sane people agree that remain is the best option together with fixing the gross UK inequality which was the problem in the first place (and apply EU labour movement rules more rigorously including noting who is in, who is out, and what their name is!????)

Not according to  The European Union’s budget chief Guenther Oettinger said on Friday Britain would lose its rebate even in the “pleasant but improbable” event of it staying in the bloc.

After Brexit, the EU wants to wind down in stages all the rebates, including those that the Netherlands or Denmark enjoy. The bloc’s executive European Commission has proposed to have none in the next common budget for 2021-2024.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-rebate/britain-would-lose-eu-rebate-even-if-it-decided-to-ditch-brexit-eu-official-idUKKCN1MM1PV

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Not according to  The European Union’s budget chief Guenther Oettinger said on Friday Britain would lose its rebate even in the “pleasant but improbable” event of it staying in the bloc.

After Brexit, the EU wants to wind down in stages all the rebates, including those that the Netherlands or Denmark enjoy. The bloc’s executive European Commission has proposed to have none in the next common budget for 2021-2024.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-rebate/britain-would-lose-eu-rebate-even-if-it-decided-to-ditch-brexit-eu-official-idUKKCN1MM1PV

Well of course they would say that wouldn't they!

My well connected authority states it would be a small price to pay to stop the nonsense and concentrate on more important issues such as Poland and Hungary (Italy is just a tantrum)

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

You need to stop listening to your nameless well connected authority ( Tony Blair ) no one believes him anymore

No. My well connected authority is not only well connected by highly educated; unimpeachable I would say.

When a deal does go through Tories are going to be hated- I wouldn't be surprised if they're not knocked out of politics for a couple of decades or more, just as Labour in the 70's.  Yet, I don't see Labour being so electable because of its very left policies and rather ambiguous stance on Brexit. I wonder if we'll see this in UK as Green issues will dominate in the future:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/oct/19/adults-in-the-room-greens-surge-across-europe-as-centre-left-flounders.

I, for one, think Brexit has been a futile, smoke filled exercise to ignore the pressing needs of the day that don't quite fit Tory dogma: failing economic model, the dangers of of over production/consumption, gross wage inequality, and of course, global warming.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

Yes I read this article too earlier today. No doubt that's why Barnier offered to extend the transition yesterday. A few points:

> To me this is pretty good evidence of the EU meddling in internal affairs.  It has a habit of doing that: Italy, Greece, Poland, Hungary, Ireland, Netherlands, on and on. Confirms to the Leavers that they were right, and no doubt makes new Leave recruits.

Didn't seem to bother you when Trump started talking about a free trade treaty with the UK. Or is it only meddling when the EU does it?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

You've just disproven your theory in that one-liner.

One liner? My, you must have a huge screen! 

But my point is true, and you know it ????

Edited by Grouse