UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

2 hours ago, nauseus said:

Your examples are of dictatorships, which more closely resembles the way the EU is run.

A comment like this only helps to emphasize your ignorance about the EU.

Edited by damascase
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, rixalex said:

Democratic decisions can indeed be changed but that's not what we are talking about here. We are talking about a democratic process in which the whole voting population was involved, being ignored. That's something quite different. When has that ever happened before in Britain?

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It's not being ignored. The Government has had sufficient time to implement Brexit but has failed. As has been said the mandate was also ill-defined, and has proven undeliverable. 

Circumstances change, and of course we change our minds accordingly.

The envisaged deal seems not to have materialised- nobody willingly chooses a bad deal.

Just now, transam said:

Good grief.....????

Well brexit has gone from "sunlit upland+land of milk and honey" to "it probably won't be a Mad Max style armageddon" via  " there might be some economic benefits in 30 to 50 years" 

So how is this brexit fulfilling the referendum mandate when it is not what was promised ?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tebee said:

Democracy did not end forever with one vote - if I feel something is wrong or the result was obtained by illegitimate means it is my democratic right to oppose it in any way I can. 

If you are getting fed up with the opposition now , just wait until after we do actually  brexit and everything goes pear shaped -  you be hearing so many cries of " I told you so!"

I'm sure that everyone agrees that those who disagree with the referendum result are clearly entitled to campaign to return to the eu - once the govt. has delivered on the original referendum result!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, tebee said:

Well brexit has gone from "sunlit upland+land of milk and honey" to "it probably won't be a Mad Max style armageddon" via  " there might be some economic benefits in 30 to 50 years" 

So how is this brexit fulfilling the referendum mandate when it is not what was promised ?

You are talking out of your EU conversion thingy..????

4 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I'm sure that everyone agrees that those who disagree with the referendum result are clearly entitled to campaign to return to the eu - once the govt. has delivered on the original referendum result!

There is no obligation that MP must deliver what the public voted for - remember this is the same British public that voted to name a ship "boaty macBoatface" - I don't see a ship called that now? 

1 minute ago, tebee said:

There is no obligation that MP must deliver what the public voted for - remember this is the same British public that voted to name a ship "boaty macBoatface" - I don't see a ship called that now? 

Perhaps stop smoking that stuff....????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, tebee said:

You were promised 350 million a week for the NHS - I don't see  much mention of this these days?

I hope you know as well as I do that it doesn't matter how much you pump into the NHS it is never enough, it is the biggest abused institution in the land, when are people going to admit it is a failed project. All it does is allow political parties to mudsling at each other, oh and remainers, it's like your 'get out of jail free card'

You live in France, I've lived in France and the hospitals there are far superior to anything we have to offer, maybe because their citizens are expected to pay a little towards their treatment, when you have to pay a little you tend not to abuse the system.

5 hours ago, rixalex said:

Democratic decisions can indeed be changed but that's not what we are talking about here. We are talking about a democratic process in which the whole voting population was involved, being ignored. That's something quite different. When has that ever happened before in Britain?

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You were not ignored

Your government has tried hard to deliver what you wanted while minimising the harm that will result

The referendum was advisory; parliament is sovereign no matter what Cameron may have you believe

10 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

It's not being ignored. The Government has had sufficient time to implement Brexit but has failed. As has been said the mandate was also ill-defined, and has proven undeliverable. 

Circumstances change, and of course we change our minds accordingly.

The envisaged deal seems not to have materialised- nobody willingly chooses a bad deal.

"The Government has had sufficient time to implement Brexit but has failed."

I agree with this part of your post.

Which only makes it clear that the brit. govt. was (and still is) desperately searching for a way to implement 'leave in name only' - without destroying their chances at the next GE.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tebee said:

Democracy did not end forever with one vote - if I feel something is wrong or the result was obtained by illegitimate means it is my democratic right to oppose it in any way I can. 

If you are getting fed up with the opposition now , just wait until after we do actually  brexit and everything goes pear shaped -  you be hearing so many cries of " I told you so!"

Yes, what is not realised is that there is no 'final whistle', and no VE day on Brexit.  Even when the deal is done, implementation is a long way off.  Sadly, those that maintain no good can come off such a contentious and ill-executed plan are probably right imo. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

If that were the case there can be no argument.  But the point is they haven't!  And the envisaged deal falls well short of what is required.  More importantly, it does not appear to be what the majority of the nation wants any longer.  That issue could be settled quite easily with a vote on the deal, although that may not end the matter either, since the country is in fact split.

We are faced with a situation that can not be resolved, so common sense says we need to step back here.  You, on the other hand, seem to be arguing for Brexit at any cost!

33 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

"The Government has had sufficient time to implement Brexit but has failed."

I agree with this part of your post.

Which only makes it clear that the brit. govt. was (and still is) desperately searching for a way to implement 'leave in name only' - without destroying their chances at the next GE.

What would you expect them to do?

They could just ignore the referendum completely which would be entirely understandable 

But no, May is trying to do the best she can for you without putting the country in a wheelchair and on oxygen

15 minutes ago, vogie said:

Very clever, seen what you did there, the opinion referendum that parliament voted to give the British people and stated that it would "implement the decision that you decide"

New balls please!

It doesn't say that in the act.

I don't care what Cameron said, it's the act that counts.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Grouse said:

You were not ignored

Your government has tried hard to deliver what you wanted while minimising the harm that will result

The referendum was advisory; parliament is sovereign no matter what Cameron may have you believe

Why did you write "your government"....Why not "our"....Hmmmmmm..????

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

21 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

If that were the case there can be no argument.  But the point is they haven't!  And the envisaged deal falls well short of what is required.  More importantly, it does not appear to be what the majority of the nation wants any longer.  That issue could be settled quite easily with a vote on the deal, although that may not end the matter either, since the country is in fact split.

We are faced with a situation that can not be resolved, so common sense says we need to step back here.  You, on the other hand, seem to be arguing for Brexit at any cost!

"it does not appear to be what the majority of the nation wants any longer".  Pure opinion - but I agree with the other point you've raised -

"But the point is they haven't!  And the envisaged deal falls well short of what is required."

Says it all .....☹️.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Grouse said:

You were not ignored

"Your government has tried hard to deliver what you wanted while minimising the harm that will result."

Agree entirely - as long as you are referring to "the harm that will result" to their own financial interests".....

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Agree entirely that the brit. govt. is doing it's very best to not fulfill the referendum mandate.

Possibly because it is completely unable to find a way of delivering that mandate without making itself unelectable in the future.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

"Your government has tried hard to deliver what you wanted while minimising the harm that will result."

Agree entirely - as long as you are referring to "the harm that will result" to their own financial interests".....

15 minutes ago, tebee said:

Possibly because it is completely unable to find a way of delivering that mandate without making itself unelectable in the future.

So you think that if the brit. govt. delivers a 'leave in name only deal' it will be elected at the next election?

You may be right, but I think they'll have to put a whole lot more 'spin' on the 'deal' 'agreed' (and we've all seen the way this is going....) to reach this result.

• Like 1