UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

4 minutes ago, tebee said:

There is an argument going round that Brexit will have to happen, to fail or succeed, and be seen beyond doubt to fail or succeed, before politics in the UK will ever get back to normal.

I disagree.

The problem is Brexit is such a nebulous thing and means different things to different people. 

We are only ever going to get to try one version.

If it fails, 99% of Brexiters are going to say it failed because we picked the wrong flavour.

It being a success is the only way to closure.

I consider that an exceedingly unlikely possibility.

I consider that under the current government and the article 50 process to be an absolute impossibility.

So we are doomed to decades of turmoil in politics.

No one will ever get around to solving the root causes  of the problems in British society that the result steamed from.   

The result was certainly a steamer.

But causes of current British problems have roots both domestic and foreign.

1 minute ago, mommysboy said:

I have provided many over the past few weeks.  You probably didn't read them. Or, as with your writing, your reading doesn't go much further than one line.????

Thanks for the link.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If I may reiterate 

Parliament has no legal obligation to act on an advisory referendum no matter what Cameron stated at the time. Read the act.

The problem is that many MPs know that Brexit is a moronic idea but they fear the wrath of their constituents.

So, call another referendum

If the result is to remain, great. Parliament will cancel Brexit and never ask the people for an opinion EVER again

If the result is leave. Then I will quit fighting for remain.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, nauseus said:

The result was certainly a steamer.

But causes of current British problems have roots both domestic and foreign.

At root, it's the failing global economic model that has now just about run its course, while leaving a not inconsiderable cost both economic and environmental. It's pounds in pockets at a very base level- nobody complained when they were holding folding.

The Brexit problem is simply not coming up with a deal that is acceptable to the majority of the electorate.  If the deal was good, even ok, there wouldn't be nearly so much opposition on all sides.

• Like 1

I notice too that lately Brexiteers have been attempting to sanitise Brexit by revising its history.  It's otherwise a remarkable act of self deception which takes blinkered viewpoint, and selective editing to breathtaking levels. The Germans have a good phrase for it: Persilschein.

Get a good deal, and get on with it!  Stop blaming everyone else.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I notice too that lately Brexiteers have been attempting to sanitise Brexit by revising its history.  It's otherwise a remarkable act of self deception which takes blinkered viewpoint, and selective editing to breathtaking levels. The Germans have a good phrase for it: Persilschein.

I think you are deceiving yourself.  

32 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Well you would know what Germans have, wouldn't you....????

54 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

That's the ticket!

24 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

In the 2017 referendum both main parties campaigned on honouring the result of the referendum. The referendum was a binary choice yes/no, just like the referendum going in. By your analysis, if Remain had won 52-48 we should have half left? Unlikely.

It's your opinion that it's impossible, certalny not fact, and millions don't agree with your opinion. True, what May's attempting to do is impossible: you can't be half in and half out. The really bizarre thing about Chequers is that it seems to be her own private idea, cooked up with Olly Robbins I guess; it wasn't even developed with her cabinet. This is undemocratic in my view, and has resulted in a "plan" that's not supported by anyone, wasted time, and led to even more confusion.

But the greatest threat to democracy imho is that many remainers simply refuse to accept the result. This kind of denial is also bad for their mental health, as we see from this forum.

On the 29th March 2019 the UK is leaving the EU. Will it be a "no deal", EFTA, some fudge? How long will the transition be? These questions are still unanswered, but we will be leaving on the agreed date. The anguish of living with the denial of that in one's head must be truly awful.

Did I miss the 2017 referendum?

The 2016 one was to get the public's opinion. We got it. A small majority wish to leave the EU. Thanks, but it wasn't binding.

In fact such a move would be so damaging that it would be criminally insane to go that route.

Easiest way out is another referendum

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

In the 2017 referendum both main parties campaigned on honouring the result of the referendum. The referendum was a binary choice yes/no, just like the referendum going in. By your analysis, if Remain had won 52-48 we should have half left? Unlikely.

It's your opinion that it's impossible, certalny not fact, and millions don't agree with your opinion. True, what May's attempting to do is impossible: you can't be half in and half out. The really bizarre thing about Chequers is that it seems to be her own private idea, cooked up with Olly Robbins I guess; it wasn't even developed with her cabinet. This is undemocratic in my view, and has resulted in a "plan" that's not supported by anyone, wasted time, and led to even more confusion.

But the greatest threat to democracy imho is that many remainers simply refuse to accept the result. This kind of denial is also bad for their mental health, as we see from this forum.

On the 29th March 2019 the UK is leaving the EU. Will it be a "no deal", EFTA, some fudge? How long will the transition be? These questions are still unanswered, but we will be leaving on the agreed date. The anguish of living with the denial of that in one's head must be truly awful.

The Government simply isn't doing a good job.  Poor work-start to finish. Any deal could work, but it stands the best chance with a unified, strong government, and the backing of the electorate. None of these seem to apply.

Only a small minority want the sort of Brexit it plans- the majority want a comprehensive trade deal, which is quite easily obtainable, and was indeed envisaged by prominent Leavers.

• Like 1

The gloomy take: Brexit will happen, it will be a disaster, and nothing will ever convince those who voted for it that the mess is their fault not that of Remainers/the EU/Theresa May/the media/the courts/Ireland.

But In 1989-90 the Tory government thought voters would blame the Councils for high poll taxes, not the policy itself.

But people saw through these excuses and blamed the policy itself.

Perhaps this could happen again.

I Line in hope - just not too much hope....

22 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

The Government simply isn't doing a good job.  Poor work-start to finish. Any deal could work, but it stands the best chance with a unified, strong government, and the backing of the electorate. None of these seem to apply.

Only a small minority want the sort of Brexit it plans- the majority want a comprehensive trade deal, which is quite easily obtainable, and was indeed envisaged by prominent Leavers.

I think everyone in the UK agrees with your first paragraph (with the exception of "any deal could work").

I think it is certain we will end up with a comprehensive trade deal. For me the questions are  "how long will it take?" and "via which route?".

Have a good day MB. You seem to be staying sane ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

If I may reiterate 

Parliament has no legal obligation to act on an advisory referendum no matter what Cameron stated at the time. Read the act.

The problem is that many MPs know that Brexit is a moronic idea but they fear the wrath of their constituents.

So, call another referendum

If the result is to remain, great. Parliament will cancel Brexit and never ask the people for an opinion EVER again

If the result is leave. Then I will quit fighting for remain.

But remain wouldn't be an option if People want a vote on the deal and thats what they keep asking for the only tick boxes on the ballot paper would be

Do you want to accept the deal that is on the table and leave

Do you want to reject the deal that is on the table and leave

No More No Less

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

How do you know that the majority want a comprehensive trade deal have you asked them each person 

For the groups of people that voted to leave in areas that were traditional labour heartlands have you ask each person

Most people I know that Voted leave just want to leave end off  they are fed up with Project Fear, Project Fear 2.0

The people that are running Project Fear are willing to sacrifice 3.8 million EU citizens living in the UK , No doubt in their mind

they will call them collateral damage

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

Given that I'm genuinely impartial in this "debate" I guess I have the luxury of looking at things as they are, rather than as I want them to be.

It is really getting a bit embarrassing. To claim that you are neutral, impartial or whatever is rather subjective and I do not think you convince anyone other than yourself, especially when just about all of your comments are pro-Brexit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, vinny41 said:

You may have posted that in your opinion "DC had no authority to make any definitive statement" at the end of the day that is your opinion  by the way it wasn't only DC here Gove take on the matter

Not my opinion, nothing is cast in stone.

no Parliament can pass laws that future Parliaments cannot change. 

https://www.parliament.uk/about/how/role/sovereignty/

Whether you, or the other brexiteers, like it or not the UK is a parliamentary democracy, not a peoples republic.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Unless we stay in and become part of a European federal state, in which case parliament won't be making any future decisions.

I'm OK with either way, all the way in, join the Euro, get rid of parliament or all the way out.

At the moment it's the worst of both possible results with the most money being spent, and our currency at it's lowest ebb.

Having Euro MPs and Parliamentary MPs is just a foolish money wasting system.

Both lots of MPs are completely useless, let's just half the expense and keep one feeding trough.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, sandyf said:

https://www.parliament.uk/about/how/role/sovereignty/

Whether you, or the other brexiteers, like it or not the UK is a parliamentary democracy, not a peoples republic.

And their nothing in the above that prevents David Cameron stating that voting leave means leaving the eu, leaving the single market and leaving the customs union

12 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

And their nothing in the above that prevents David Cameron stating that voting leave means leaving the eu, leaving the single market and leaving the customs union

He can say that, but it's only worth as much as every other politician's promise. 

He can not bind any successor, so as soon as he resigned that promise was null and void. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1