UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

2 hours ago, nauseus said:

John O'Connell - self-styled anti far right nutter with 2870 followers - posts nothing but this sort of doo.

Must be a hero of yours, Tebee? 

Hilarious

Well your post is partly correct????

He is a person of interest to me as he managed to save us from the EU with his hard dedicated conscientious patriotic work.

well done Mr Farage (Sir)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Well Tories would be most likely to strip away much of the EU legislation that supports workers' rights, and tend to do as little for social welfare as can be got away with. It might be a different story if Labour are in power, but the UK tends to be Tory.

Yes, that's my fear too - but I'm not at all sure the Labour party would be any different.....

Cough, blair.....

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Grouse said:

In layman's terms, machine learning.

Run thousands or millions of records (such as those held by face-book) and unexpected patterns a corrolations may be found. Not necessarily causal of course. Maybe people who are pro American but anti EU are interested in mountain climbing and tend to choose the colour green

This enables targeted advertising or choice offerings. And this is why Facebook is rich

Wow so simple, so like when you go to Tesco scam your little card and they can work out what you buy your social class and stuff in general.

0 well back to the Faraday cage then.

6 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

It was an unusual post for melvin - and I've no doubt he woke up regretting it today!

Insults never work, they just make it clear that the poster thinks his best argument is insulting those with a different pov....

That would be a remainer ploy insulting hard working leavers?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nauseus said:

Degree of incompetence?

Remainer fib?

Interestingly, Abbot and Lanny both claim very regularly that all white people are slave owners and we all have ‘white privilege’ , but they had opportunities most don’t.

Abbot is an unremarkable person I doubt could survive outside the safe labour seat of Hackney.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

In layman's terms, machine learning.

Run thousands or millions of records (such as those held by face-book) and unexpected patterns a corrolations may be found. Not necessarily causal of course. Maybe people who are pro American but anti EU are interested in mountain climbing and tend to choose the colour green

This enables targeted advertising or choice offerings. And this is why Facebook is rich

I'm still at a loss as to how this enabled foreign powers to influence any vote/referendum??

Foreign influence (as per your original post) seems to be accepted as 'obviously true' by remainers.  But your 'explanation' explains precisely nothing to support this viewpoint!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I'm still at a loss as to how this enabled foreign powers to influence any vote/referendum??

Foreign influence (as per your original post) seems to be accepted as 'obviously true' by remainers.  But your 'explanation' explains precisely nothing to support this viewpoint!

What do you mean? Like Soros money they happily accept?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

1) identify what leavers are on about, what is attractive and non attractive to them

2) likewise for remainers

3) generate or skew or strengthen a leave or remain (depending on your wishes) friendly environment

by producing masses of tweets facebook-entries news-articles radio/tv programs pamphlets rallies

1 minute ago, melvinmelvin said:

1) identify what leavers are on about, what is attractive and non attractive to them

2) likewise for remainers

3) generate or skew or strengthen a leave or remain (depending on your wishes) friendly environment

by producing masses of tweets facebook-entries news-articles radio/tv programs pamphlets rallies

But surely someone has to read those "masses of tweets facebook-entries"??

They can't just enter someones fb page to enter a post (?) - so someone would have to actually access their fb/tweet account and read them?

News/articles/radio/tv programmes - most support remain!

Pamphlets/rallies?  Really?  Evidence please.

Edited by dick dasterdly

1 hour ago, Patriot1066 said:

Hilarious

Well your post is partly correct????

He is a person of interest to me as he managed to save us from the EU with his hard dedicated conscientious patriotic work.

well done Mr Farage (Sir)

Mr post was not about Farage, as it said. it looks like you have been TV'ing too hard! I recommend an entertaining sojourn, like the one I enjoyed yesterday.

19 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

They can't just enter someones fb page to enter a post (?) - so someone would have to actually access their fb/tweet account and read them?

evidence? don't have that - just tried to explain Grouse's terminology

if you want leave, find out what make leavers tick and whats attractive to them

then you do the synthesis

mass production of attractive leave hooks in whatever way is available to you

computer generated facebookers - tweeters - youtubes - and what have you

its a variant of brainwashing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/2/2018 at 2:11 PM, dick dasterdly said:

I'm always left at a loss when it comes to these claims that the referendum/elections have been influenced by Cambridge Analytica/facebook etc.

How exactly did they manage to do so??

I can sort of understand that the youngsters are heavily invested in fb and the like, as they all seem permanently attached to their smartphones - and so have been possibly passing around propaganda amongst each other?  I'd even agree that more than a few older people (who should know better....) behave in the same way.

But I still don't understand how 'the influence by foreign entities' claim works?

Dick, both my Bachelor's and Master's had a substantial element of this kind of analysis. And I've spent a large chunk of my life managing projects in this field, but for corporates, not political parties, though the principles and methods are exactly the same.

The basic idea is very simple and grew out of the kind of marketing analysis that we all know about – eg, what type of product does this group of customers buy, or if a customer buys product A what other product is s/he likely to buy. In business it’s called “targeted marketing”.

Specifically, The Cambridge Analytica type analysis was based on a couple of core techniques:

(1)    Facebook users were “segmented” = put into groups – based on information that FB users entered about themselves for example gender, age and education.

(2)    The responses of these groups to specific ad campaigns or postings were measured by the “likes” they gave or received.

(3)    Based on the results of the analysis in 1&2, messages (ie Facebook posts and ad campaigns) were fine-tuned to influence targeted groups of users to vote in a specific direction.

None of this analysis is illegal, though some of the data that was fed into it had been collected in ways that were borderline legal – see Note 1 below.

The foreign influence is exercised by:

(1)    Troll farms acting on forums, newsgroups, comment sections in the press etc.

(2)    Bots – automated ro"bot" trolls - acting  on forums, newsgroups, comment sections in the press etc.

(3)    Fake news, which can go viral via the troll farms and bots.

(4)    Secretive funding for legitimate ad campaigns (which use the messages defined by the results of the analysis above).

(6)    Hacking email accounts and servers (as in the US election).

Note 1. One of the interesting discoveries that came out of the post-mortem for all of this was the extent to which Facebook was collecting data in ways that no-one was previously aware of, for example names, addresses (including postcodes - useful for electoral correlation) and phone numbers of user contacts in their mobile phones.

Edited by My Thai Life
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

evidence? don't have that - just tried to explain Grouse's terminology

if you want leave, find out what make leavers tick and whats attractive to them

then you do the synthesis

mass production of attractive leave hooks in whatever way is available to you

computer generated facebookers - tweeters - youtubes - and what have you

its a variant of brainwashing

but now that I have messed up explaining the bird's terminology

I am confident of imminent landing and that he will do the sorting properly

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

The reading is done by computer, specifically the "likes", which are correlated to specific messages and campaigns (which are also indexed in the computer). The campaign messages are increasingly fine-tuned over successive cycles, based on their success as measured by the number of "likes".

Now, given that we have been told many times that Leave voters are old, and not the core user base for Facebook, one really must question the extent to which these FB campaigns influenced the referendum outcome.

As you've mentioned before, the Remain campaign used tax-payers' money. This is wholely unacceptable in my opinion.

By the way, you can safely ignore Grouse's comments on this topic. He seems to be trying to blind you with science, or maybe he's just confused himself. You don't need neural networks for this kind of analysis at all.

Edited by My Thai Life
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

It's basic marketing really- you find out what floats someone's boat then channel news/fake news at them in order to elicit the required outcome. 

How can a foreign power influence this?  By putting up the money via a front man in the UK.

3 hours ago, Patriot1066 said:

Wow so simple, so like when you go to Tesco scam your little card and they can work out what you buy your social class and stuff in general.

0 well back to the Faraday cage then.

Yes, a bit like that for your loyalty card.

Same technology decides if you get a credit card

Or what movie you may like

Actually, rather scary stuff as there is no human intervention

We developed a system for Experian to replace credit scoring and another for Barclaycard to help identify fraud. (And some security stuff)

4 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Yes, a bit like that for your loyalty card.

Same technology decides if you get a credit card

Or what movie you may like

Actually, rather scary stuff as there is no human intervention

We developed a system for Experian to replace credit scoring and another for Barclaycard to help identify fraud. (And some security stuff)

ahh,

bird landed

see above and previous coupla pages,

would you sort out your neural networks, please

while I enjoy a Chang and a chaser

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Cambridge analytica managed to get millions of Facebook records and use that to give some leverage to Trump.

Use your imagination

Even foreign money to pay for TV ads, infomercials, bill board adds, back handers to celebrities.....I could go on.