Tourist police plan criminal checks on 1,400 Nigerians

webfact

23 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I wonder which nationality they will come for next, once they're done with the Nigerians ?

exactly

be unhappy in ones life and take it out on dobbing in a foreigner walking into 7-11 by contacting a 24 hr hotline.

Thats after the police start checking other nations citizens like Nigeria

but if you are chinese immigrant from the last 100

years you can own land, citizenship the works

16 hours ago, webfact said:

Surachet also urged members of the public to call the Tourist Police Bureau 1155 hotline if they detect foreigners involved in suspicious activities.

would  that  be  the  same  number that Thai wife  called  for her ex  husband  seeing  his  kids at  school?

13 hours ago, MisterTee said:

That insinuation - and there's a lot of truth to it - could be made about a great many countries and their law enforcement agencies.

Be thankful for small favors.

Draining the swamp in Pattaya, Lower Suky, and elsewhere, is a step in the right direction.

Yes, next week they can target Australians, the week after that Koreans and then UK citizens. It's fine as long as it's not your country or people being targeted.

Police work is easy when anything goes. There's no voting public to appease here. Watch out - you're next!

17 hours ago, ezzra said:

I'm yet to see one single Nigerian tourist anywhere around Thailand, as fa as it is a common knowledge those guys are here for one purpose only and it is to rap people off in a million way... 

not true ,, had a few families from Nigeria in my guesthouse from time ti time , lovely people !

offcourse there are bad apples in every country but 1400 is not so much people from one nationality to stay within one border .

better they focus on patrolling tourist areas for illegal activities , deport , incarcerate etc. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, connda said:

Wow!  That would fly like a lead balloon in the West, e.g., US, UK, France...
The progressive left would be flooding the streets condemning "racism" and "profiling" while calling for sanctuary cities to be built to house these poor, downtrodden souls from sub-Saharan Africa who also deserve social welfare payments from their host country.

But, not here in Thailand.  Not a social justice warrior to be found.  Even the neo-liberal Thais must be looking the other way. 
It's Thai-way or the highway folks!  "Good Guys In; Bad Guys Out!" 
So, Nigerians are perceived to be a predominately criminal class by the Thai establishment, so they get Big Joke and company's attention.  That's actually somewhat refreshing in this day and age of political correctness.  The US should hire him to run the TSA.  ?

Can he do 6/6 months USA/UK?

3 hours ago, retell said:

not true ,, had a few families from Nigeria in my guesthouse from time ti time , lovely people !

offcourse there are bad apples in every country but 1400 is not so much people from one nationality to stay within one border .

better they focus on patrolling tourist areas for illegal activities , deport , incarcerate etc. 

Yes, you have had Nigerian families who arrived with a holiday in mind. They didn't stay for 6 months or longer and outstay their visas did they? or sneak in using porous border areas etc.

Worked with/for one Nigerian engineer who was Cambridge educated and was working for Shell UK.

I think the vast majority you see on the streets in BKK don't fall within the same brackets.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, humbug said:

exactly

be unhappy in ones life and take it out on dobbing in a foreigner walking into 7-11 by contacting a 24 hr hotline.

Thats after the police start checking other nations citizens like Nigeria

but if you are chinese immigrant from the last 100

years you can own land, citizenship the works

if you are pretty much any immigrant you can apply for citizenship if you meet the criteria as you can with many nations

24 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

That fetish runs in my family!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm partial to unusually long toes. I prefer if the difference in length between toes of the same foot is minimal. Finally, narrow feet are sexier than wide feet. 

I worked for one of ‘the big 4’ UK banks during the ‘80’s we had internal memo’s instructing us not to open any accounts for those with Nigerian passports. There was reports of ‘schools’ set up to teach how to defraud banks in Nigeria so I applaud the action of the RTA however racist it may seem. Hopefully results will speak for themselves and make it easier for Honest tourists/Expat workers of any nationality.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

I worked for one of ‘the big 4’ UK banks during the ‘80’s we had internal memo’s instructing us not to open any accounts for those with Nigerian passports. There was reports of ‘schools’ set up to teach how to defraud banks in Nigeria so I applaud the action of the RTA however racist it may seem. Hopefully results will speak for themselves and make it easier for Honest tourists/Expat workers of any nationality.

Before the PC age I used to get mail in the UK from Nigeria about doing money stuff..Of course there must have been those odd few that fell for it...?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ozfarang said:

How do these Nigerians obtain visas to enter Thailand? Is the Thai embassy in Nigeria a soft touch to get a tourist visa?

They do not qualify for visa exempt entry on arrival.

Or VOA.

They have to apply for a tourist visa in their home country.

18 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

As long as one follows the rules nothing be be concerned about.

"Bad guys in Good guys out" 

What a great mantra, the only problem is the harder they look for "bad guys", the harder they will be to find. Sure, they may catch some innocuous overstayers, but the real criminals will still be on the loose, one or two steps ahead.

On 8/10/2018 at 3:52 PM, sammieuk1 said:

I'm sure these rascals will be busy in their boiler rooms up and down the country in the forthcoming days better to make an appointment first? 

I believe that the boiler room boys are mostly Brits. And they have plenty of money to pay for their right to 'trade'.

Before the PC age I used to get mail in the UK from Nigeria about doing money stuff..Of course there must have been those odd few that fell for it...[emoji848]

Ah, you saw the one about the Nigerian spaceman that couldn’t get back from the International Space Station.

I hope he’s alright!!!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DILLIGAD said:

Ah, you saw the one about the Nigerian spaceman that couldn’t get back from the International Space Station.

I hope he’s alright!!!

Oh, the guy that worked at McDonald's there....?

• Like 1

On 8/10/2018 at 11:50 AM, keith101 said:

Giving them time to either leave the country or go into hiding first a good idea or not ?

Maybe not.  But a stern warning to get caught up on your tea money envelopes may be more accurate. 

Or maybe not.  I hope I'm wrong.  But...

On 8/10/2018 at 11:20 AM, grantbkk said:

Please don't forget lower Sukhumvit Road.

They do search them occasionally. The other day there were 6 of them sitting in the dark in a sub soi and they were dealers ,I walk past them most nights . The bib had their flash lights out going over their passports but everything was in order and they don't carry drugs on them for obvious reasons. What can be done ? absolutely nothing, you cant arrest them just for being black

On 8/11/2018 at 1:00 AM, MrPatrickThai said:

Let's hope the Cameroonian English teachers with fake degrees are next. There were 4 and my youngest son's school and he learnt absolutely nothing from them, apart from where to buy ganja!

Same, same. The Cameroonian scammers learnt from the Nigerian scammers. Same scams, just a bit behind the times.

51 minutes ago, transam said:

Where did your info come from...?

There have been plenty of references to them in the local press over the years, on a site about Thailand nightlife in which some of them have a presence, and on a site of someone who had to flee Thailand in fear of his life. Google Boiler room Thailand and you'll find plenty of links/info.