ED Extension when starting with a Visa Waiver

My Son has just arrived and obtained a 30 Day Visa Waiver, on a UK Passport.

We have documents from School for a one year ED Extension.

I seem to remember from the past, that it is not possible to go from a Visa Waiver straight to an ED, and that something else has to happen first?

What is the best and most easy route, now he is here, to get the ED Extension? If I can, I would like to limit his trips to CW to one, but I seem to remember from the past that he will need to go twice?

An ED Visa is a "non-immigrant" visa, so there is a matter of changing to a Non-ED entry stamp, before it can be extended.   A tourist-type extension, for UK persons, is only for 30-days max.

For those attending language-schools, converting to a Non-Imm entry for ED is mostly impossible, and the solution is to get a Non-ED Visa from a nearby consulate, then return with that (obtaining 90-days permitted-stay), and then do their ED extensions thereafter. 

If your son is attending a university or other formal school (not a "language school"), the conversion to a Non-Imm stamp in-country may be possible.  I have not read about many cases of this type, so unless someone else on the forum has solid advise, I would suggest asking the school regarding the usual procedure.

Thanks for the info Jack.

He is attending an International School (formal) here.

So, he attended CW and he has first had to convert his 30 Day Visa Waiver into a 90 Day Non-Immig Visa, he then has to go back, after 45 days, to obtain the ED-Extension, which will last one year from Issuance Date.

Unfortunately, the Authorised Signatory was not there on Tuesday, so he now has to go back next week to obtain the 90 Day Non-Immig stamp and signature (all paperwork and payment already completed).

7 hours ago, PMZ said:

Thanks for the info Jack.

He is attending an International School (formal) here.

So, he attended CW and he has first had to convert his 30 Day Visa Waiver into a 90 Day Non-Immig Visa, he then has to go back, after 45 days, to obtain the ED-Extension, which will last one year from Issuance Date.

Unfortunately, the Authorised Signatory was not there on Tuesday, so he now has to go back next week to obtain the 90 Day Non-Immig stamp and signature (all paperwork and payment already completed).

Glad to hear they are co-operative with "conversions" to Non-Imm ED stamps for formal schools.  Thanks for following-up - this info should help out others in similar circumstances.