Wrong stamping duration of stay in immigration

Just wondering about something:

I am on visa Non Immigrant Non O multiple 1 year (based on Thai child) and as far i know each entry give a duration of stay of 90 days.

I am working in neighbor country and i am on and out many time (basically every week).

I notice frequently that the immigration in airport stamp wrongly my passport with a 30 days duration of stay instead 90 days. It is not an issue for me as i always staying less than 30 days. For example, i enter today in Don Muang and I am leaving tomorrow out of Thailand. I was stamped for 30 days.

But I am wondering if this wrong duration of stay stamped might any issues now or in the future? When I am filling the immigration form, i put my visa number and Non O every time. But it seems that they are just not paying attention...

When I find out once they give me back my passport, i tell them and they rectify but i am wondering if it does matter?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

It only matters if you’re ever staying longer than 30 days, but even then it’s not really a problem as long as you get the stamp fixed at immigration.

It would be a problem if you were only entitled to 30 days, were given 90, and stayed over 30 days.

1 hour ago, jphasia said:

But I am wondering if this wrong duration of stay stamped might any issues now or in the <deleted>ture?

Yes, it might! You are getting a visa exempt entry. This might be an issue if you start using tourist entries in the future. A lot of visa exempt entries makes you subject to increased scrutiny when entering as a tourist.

In future, check the stamp immediately to ensure you have been given a non-immigrant entry of 90 days.

Ensure you always put the visa number on the arrival form. If you leave it blank, the official is more likely to give you the erroneous visa exempt entry.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BritTim said:

Yes, it might! You are getting a visa exempt entry. This might be an issue if you start using tourist entries in the future. A lot of visa exempt entries makes you subject to increased scrutiny when entering as a tourist.

I get your point, but his entry isn’t necessarily being shown on the system as a visa exempt entry. The IO could be entering the right “Visa Class” in the system, but using the 30 day stamp instead of 90 day stamp.

Only ever happened once to me so now I always mention
'90 days' when I hand over my passport.
Just checked the OP and it does seem to happen more often at DM than SVB.
Equal for DM and SVB. I passed last week at SVB and they stamped again 30 days. I noticed it immediately and show them the visa missed on my passport (and of course the visa number mentionned in my immigration form). They corrected it on system, change the duration date on my password, adding "non o" and signed.
I believe if they record me as "visa exempt" on the system everytime they make this mistake, i would have been flag long time already.

44 minutes ago, jphasia said:

Equal for DM and SVB. I passed last week at SVB and they stamped again 30 days. I noticed it immediately and show them the visa missed on my passport (and of course the visa number mentionned in my immigration form). They corrected it on system, change the duration date on my password, adding "non o" and signed.
I believe if they record me as "visa exempt" on the system everytime they make this mistake, i would have been flag long time already.

It does seem a bit off when

'you' have to make sure 'they' are doing what they should do.

???

• Like 1

It happened to me once at the Cham Yeam land entry.  I didn't notice it until after the 30 days.  I went to Immigration and they told me to go back to the border and get it fixed.  I asked if there was any other way to fix the problem and the officer told me to sit down for 20 minutes.  20 minutes, a phone call by the officer, and 500 Bt later it was fixed.  What I wasn't told is that they noted it as an overstay.  An overstay once isn't a problem but more than one and it can get very serious, including the loss of your Non-O visa.

Now I have a brightly colored plastic tabs (Amazon.com - Scotch Restickable Mini Tabs) stuck in my passport to mark my Non-O visa stamp and any re-entry permit.  I always show those to the immigration officer when entering Thailand then double check that they put in the right date (that for my Non-O visa).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It does seem a bit off when
'you' have to make sure 'they' are doing what they should do.
[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]
Yes, that the feeling I have sometime...

I too have had the problem twice at Don Meuang, not at Suvarbhumi or Laos border. It is a practice I have long kept, to check the stamp immeditaely afterwards. What I wonder is why is it suddenly an issue, never had the problem before. You don't want to be asking immigration to do anything for you either, they might have a bad reaction to your asking to have the 30 day entry changed to 90 days. Some officers get upset if you hand them your passport open to your data page, so you are already treading on eggshells.

Good suggestion by Overherebc that you mention you'd like 90 days as you hand them your passport, perhaps that will help solve the problem. It seems it is a thing in Thailand that people run around assuming what it is you want or that what you want is not important at all, so best to mention you want 90 days from the get go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/12/2018 at 10:23 AM, HarrySeaman said:

It happened to me once at the Cham Yeam land entry.  I didn't notice it until after the 30 days.  I went to Immigration and they told me to go back to the border and get it fixed.  I asked if there was any other way to fix the problem and the officer told me to sit down for 20 minutes.  20 minutes, a phone call by the officer, and 500 Bt later it was fixed.  What I wasn't told is that they noted it as an overstay.  An overstay once isn't a problem but more than one and it can get very serious, including the loss of your Non-O visa.

Now I have a brightly colored plastic tabs (Amazon.com - Scotch Restickable Mini Tabs) stuck in my passport to mark my Non-O visa stamp and any re-entry permit.  I always show those to the immigration officer when entering Thailand then double check that they put in the right date (that for my Non-O visa).

?

I use the same red tabs.

I too have had the problem twice at Don Meuang, not at Suvarbhumi or Laos border. It is a practice I have long kept, to check the stamp immeditaely afterwards. What I wonder is why is it suddenly an issue, never had the problem before. You don't want to be asking immigration to do anything for you either, they might have a bad reaction to your asking to have the 30 day entry changed to 90 days. Some officers get upset if you hand them your passport open to your data page, so you are already treading on eggshells.

Good suggestion by Overherebc that you mention you'd like 90 days as you hand them your passport, perhaps that will help solve the problem. It seems it is a thing in Thailand that people run around assuming what it is you want or that what you want is not important at all, so best to mention you want 90 days from the get go.
Actually, the main point of my post is to know if it is an issue. That's what I am asking and based on the answers, I believe as usual in Thailand it is not an issue until it become an issue.
I do also mention 90 days to the officer whenever I can when I handover my passport but I believe sometime immigration point is busy and don't bother to listen (same as last Saturday when I queue for 1 hour as it has very busy).
Same as the other way, sometime after a long wait, I am on hurry and forget to check when they give me back the passport.
Sometime, I also don't bother to check because anyway, I will live Thailand the next day. Same as last Saturday, they stamped me for 30 days but I left Thailand yesterday evening and will enter this coming Saturday again. I will definitely be more cautious the day I will enter and know that I am expecting to stay more than 30 days.
I have been on 1 year multiple entries for the last 6 years and this situation has happened since the beginning. I never had any issues with it, manage to get new visa every year without problem and never been question at the immigration. So I guess it is not an issue.