Non Immigrant O Visa

I was just reading that a tourist visa can be changed to a 90 day non-immigrant visa by merely visiting Laos or Cambodia for a day or two. In Canada the process takes weeks considering a notarized bank letter, notarized criminal record check, notarized medical certificate etc etc. How do they get around all this on an overnight trip to Laos?? I plan to  marry and live in Thailand with my recently retired Thai GF of 12 years. The 90 day visa is just one small step in a beauracratic nightmare! Is it easier to apply for it there rather than in your home country? 

You do not even need to exit Thailand - you can convert a tourist visa entry to non immigrant O once you have the financials inside Thailand at local immigration office for cost of 2,000 baht and then extend stay  before that 90 day entry expires in normal retirement extension of stay process.

In you home country you get a one year multi entry (new one year stay on any entry) which with a new entry just before it expires gives you almost 2 years in Thailand before you have to extend at immigration here (and have local proof of financials - so for many people it is a good fit.

16 minutes ago, vmack153 said:

I was just reading that a tourist visa can be changed to a 90 day non-immigrant visa by merely visiting Laos or Cambodia for a day or two

You can't change anything that way, but you can apply for a new Single/Multiple Entry Non-Immigrant 'O' visa. They are very easy to get once you are married.

If you plan to live in Thailand you first need a non 'O' visa. You can get that from Laos (and other countries), OR apply for it when you are in Thailand. Personally I think it's easier to get outside the country rather than apply in Thailand. If you apply at an immigration office in Thailand it will take two trips to immigration to go from your tourist entry to a non-immigrant visa/entry. Also, you will need at least 15 days (maybe 21) of your tourist stay left to apply for the non 'O' at immigration.

When you enter with a non 'O', or have a non 'O' issued by immigration you will be given permission to stay for 90 days. Within the last 30 days of the 90 you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay. At this point you will need to have a minimum of 400K baht in a Thai bank account for at least 2 months, OR a certified (by your embassy in Bangkok) income of at least 40K baht pm.

Thanks for the replies and advice. I'll continue the quest for the Non O here in Canada. You need to show $25,000 CAD (650k baht) or equivalent annual income for the Non O Visa and then 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account for the marriage extension. 

Last time in Thailand this spring, I attempted to open a bank account to deposit the 400,000. First trip to Bangkok Bank they wanted a letter from Cdn Embassy to confirm the validity of my passport. Second trip and different person said I couldn't open an account with just a 60 day tourist visa. A perfect "Catch-22." This time I'll go with a Non-O visa and try again. Possibly rent an apartment next door to an immigration office as it seems I'll he spending a good part of my life there. ?

30 minutes ago, vmack153 said:

Thanks for the replies and advice. I'll continue the quest for the Non O here in Canada. You need to show $25,000 CAD (650k baht) or equivalent annual income for the Non O Visa and then 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account for the marriage extension?

You are confused about getting long stay based on retirement vs based on marriage. 

Based on retirement, 800.000 in Bank or 65.000 baht income (or combined). 

Based on marriage, 400.000 in bank or 40.000 income (combined not allowed) 

You're right, I was not aware that the financial requirement for marriage extension doesn't allow combined account balance + income. There is so much conflicting and mis-information everywhere. Even the information at the Thai Consulate here depends on the day and who I talk to. 

7 hours ago, vmack153 said:

I'll continue the quest for the Non O here in Canada. You need to show $25,000 CAD (650k baht) or equivalent annual income for the Non O Visa

That is for a non immigrant O-A visa which as I said allows 1 year stay on any entry during the year it is valid.  So the only immigration office needs in the first two years (if you exit/return just before actual visa expires) would be 90 day reports and re-entry permits during second year if you travel.  The 90 day reports can be done on-line most places now.  There will not be any need for money in bank here until about 3 months prior to you first application for actual extension of stay from immigration (almost 2 years for first arrival).  If you can afford the higher retirement financials almost no paperwork involved other than TM.7 application for extension of stay so really is not that hard - if you change to marriage wife will have to also go each time and a bit more paperwork and possiable house visits to confirm status but still not that much to worry about.

8 hours ago, vmack153 said:

Thanks for the replies and advice. I'll continue the quest for the Non O here in Canada.

Easy to get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage. You can get it without any financial proof.

From Ottaway embassy website. http://www.thaiembassy.ca/en/visiting-thailand/visas/types-visas-periods-stay-fees/non-immigrant-visa

'Copy of Thai Marriage Certificate or if Canadian Marriage Certificate, copy must be notarized ("O")'

Same at the locations listed here. http://www.thaiembassy.ca/en/visiting-thailand/visas/obtaining-visa-canada

For the consulate in Vancouver this is the correct website. http://www.thaiconsulatevancouver.ca/non-immigrant-visa/

18 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Problem is he is not married yet.  ?

I was replying to his post about the non-o visa based upon marriage requiring financial proof which was not correct.

He should check with one honorary consulates in Toronto, Montreal or Edmonton about getting a single entry non-o for being over 50 years old for retirement. I think they may still issue them and also without financial proof.

This is all encouraging news! I will take a drive to the Thai Consulate in Edmonton this morning and see what they tell me today. ? I'm going back to Bangkok/Pathum Thani in December so can't apply for the visa until September (3 month validity) but at least I will know what I need financially and plan accordingly.