One rescued, one dead, one missing in Phuket surf

webfact

One rescued, one dead, one missing in Phuket surf

By The Thaiger

573462.jpg

Nai Harn lifeguards have rescued a male Chinese tourist from the surf whilst another female Chinese tourists was later found dead on the beach. Another one was also reported missing at Karon beach yesterday (August 13).

Lifeguards at Nai Harn Beach were notified at 7pm after finishing work that two swimmers were having trouble in the surf. Two lifeguards went into the water with up to two metre waves.

A male Chinese tourist was fished out of the surf while the female Chinese tourist remained missing. A search was immediately launched.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/one-rescued-one-dead-one-missing-in-phuket-surf

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-08-14

46 minutes ago, Get Real said:

If it keeps on at this rate, then maybe the chinese tourists finally understands the dangers of water and poor swimming capabilities in about 12-18 years more.

Yes or maybe Thailand finally sees the need for lifeguards in towers on duty???

How many more people have to die on the Thai beaches every year before they do something?

• Like 1

"Lifeguards at Nai Harn Beach were notified at 7pm after finishing work that two swimmers were having trouble in the surf. Two lifeguards went into the water with up to two metre waves.

A male Chinese tourist was fished out of the surf while the female Chinese tourist remained missing"

The choice of words there: "fished out of the surf." Going on the lifeguards abysmal record so far, maybe the reporter knows something we don't - did they hire a fishing boat to perform the rescue?

• Like 1

The life guards are more like undertakers.surely these beaches must be some of the most dangerous beaches in the world.they need to introduce a black flag with skull on it that means you are banned from entering the water and will be fined.also a score board would go well with a weekly total would help.maybe even renaming karon beach as big death beach.

41 minutes ago, Thian said:

Yes or maybe Thailand finally sees the need for lifeguards in towers on duty???

How many more people have to die on the Thai beaches every year before they do something?

Ohhh Dear, That was so far fetched so I just didn´t think about it. Let´s see....... 56,33 years according to my latest calculation. That will mean, according to present rate, between the thumb and little pinky, about 2000-2500 peeps. I was just taking a wild guess that the chinese would figure it out before. Dumb or not, it´s just me.

Edited by Get Real

47 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

The life guards are more like undertakers.surely these beaches must be some of the most dangerous beaches in the world.they need to introduce a black flag with skull on it that means you are banned from entering the water and will be fined.also a score board would go well with a weekly total would help.maybe even renaming karon beach as big death beach.

There's nothing dangerous on Karon beach, i've been there several times.

But if there were really waves from 2 meters it's not wise to go swim me thinks...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thian said:

There's nothing dangerous on Karon beach, i've been there several times.

But if there were really waves from 2 meters it's not wise to go swim me thinks...

Next beach south at Kata had 2m waves this morning. Even curling surf at 08.00 today.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

Plenty of warnings have gone out and do get issued every year at this time. Why would people go in to unpredictable seas given the history of events. It even looks like they ventured out in limited visibility. People have to have some personal responsibility regarding safety. Are they so used to having their government guiding their lives that they've lost the ability to make an informed decision based on risks to personal safety? Sometimes in this life you have to use a little commonsense.  

"Commonsense" - a rare thing here in Phuket ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pattayadgw said:

Sad for the person and their families.  Isn't it about time the Chinese govt. help by providing brochures to Chinese tourists as they board their plane outlining a few critical points.

1/. Explain the dangers of the west coast beaches on Phuket when the swell is up during the wet season.  Don't swim at night.

2/. Don't walk 4 / 5 abreast down the road when in Thailand, walk single file. 

3/. Dont try navigate on your smartphone when riding a bike.  Stop safely on the verge of the road and work things out.

++++++ 

You forgot

4/. No pooing on the sidewalk or in taxis

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Next beach south at Kata had 2m waves this morning. Even curling surf at 08.00 today.

I used to be a judge for the surf contest in Kata about this time of year, years ago. 

12 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

Plenty of warnings have gone out and do get issued every year at this time. Why would people go in to unpredictable seas given the history of events. It even looks like they ventured out in limited visibility. People have to have some oceane personal responsibility regarding safety. Are they so used to having their government guiding their lives that they've lost the ability to make an informed decision based on risks to personal safety? Sometimes in this life you have to use a little commonsense.  

Many have never seen the ocean and are on a island for a holiday and have no clue to the risk involved. If their government was concerned, they would provide a warning on their flights and in their hotels. Although the lifeguards seem to be a bit inept and scared to go into bigger surf. Not surprising with the hiring practices, this year especially that is well documented in news articles. And no one is doing anything to fix it! Just sad all around!