Two men nabbed in Nong Khai with 150 iPhones bought in Laos for sale in Thailand

webfact

Two men nabbed in Nong Khai with 150 iPhones bought in Laos for sale in Thailand

7pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Customs at the Thai/Laos Friendship bridge in Nong Khai became suspicious of a taxi that was moving between the two countries.

Under the front and rear seats they found 146 new iPhones in their boxes. They were various models. Another four were under repair.

The haul was worth 500,000 baht.

Driver Wisoot Ratana, 46, and passenger Somsak Upathamwichien were arrested .

Customs chief Nimit Saengamphai told Sanook that Somsak has an online business selling phones and a shop in Nakorn Ratchasima.

The case amounted to smuggling as duty was not being paid.

The driver's car - with Nong Khai plates - was impounded temporarily. He will be forbidden from taking it abroad in future and fined.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-08-17

28 minutes ago, webfact said:

Under the front and rear seats they found 146 new iPhones in their boxes. They were various models. Another four were under repair.

Eeeeh!???? Can we please provide calculators for free to all people in this country that tries to, or deal, with numbers.

146 new iPhones is equal to a value of 500 000 baht???? That would make a price for a new iPhone slightly under 3500 baht. Dude, sign me up for one all directly!
As i always thought, that piece of garbage phone has always been totally overpriced.

Edited by Get Real
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Eeeeh!???? Can we please provide calculators for free to all people in this country that tries to, or deal, with numbers.

146 new iPhones is equal to a value of 500 000 baht???? That would make a price for a new iPhone slightly under 3500 baht. Dude, sign me up for one all directly!
As i always thought, that piece of garbage phone has always been totally overpriced.

500000 in revenue is my guess

20 minutes ago, RayHaas said:

500000 in revenue is my guess

It´s a good guess, but I read what it stands and form my opinion out of that. Are you by any chance a mathemathic genious?

55 minutes ago, webfact said:

53 minutes ago, Get Real said:

What this means is that the haul will be auction/sold for “500,000” and that is the amount that will be returned to government coffers.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Get Real said:

Thats the "black market" price to the middle man with the markup along the way a cording how many people handle them.Can not an iphone be turned off by the factory ? I have an iphone 6 that was issued by ATT in the US and even the best here could not get it opened to work here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thakkar said:

What this means is that the haul will be auction/sold for “500,000” and that is the amount that will be returned to government coffers.

I presume by "returned to government coffers" you are taking a generous view of whatever informal arrangement has been made (quite possibly was made prior to the phones  "discovery") to umh, dispose of them? 

5 minutes ago, AsiaHand said:

Thats the "black market" price to the middle man with the markup along the way a cording how many people handle them.Can not an iphone be turned off by the factory ? I have an iphone 6 that was issued by ATT in the US and even the best here could not get it opened to work here.

If you have a mobile phones IMEI-code, then you can pretty much do whatever you like with the phone. Regarding unlocking an iPhone 6, I just guess they took you for a fool. That is something that can be done quite easy. It will cost you about 25 dollar to whitelist your iPhone 6 IMEI number in the Apple database. that can be done over Internet. You should not believe the ones that say you can use a software for software unlocking, and if you do or let somebody do a hardware unlocking that can ruin your phone totally. It will also void any warranty you might have. Good Luck!

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

If you have a mobile phones IMEI-code, then you can pretty much do whatever you like with the phone. Regarding unlocking an iPhone 6, I just guess they took you for a fool. That is something that can be done quite easy. It will cost you about 25 dollar to whitelist your iPhone 6 IMEI number in the Apple database. that can be done over Internet. You should not believe the ones that say you can use a software for software unlocking, and if you do or let somebody do a hardware unlocking that can ruin your phone totally. It will also void any warranty you might have. Good Luck!

Quite correct.  Obama signed a bill forcing carriers to unlock.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/white-house-its-time-to-legalize-cell-phone-unlocking/

On 8/17/2018 at 10:37 AM, Get Real said:

Most likely F.F!!!