Even at 38 baht to the pound most retirees won’t and cannot leave Thailand

webfact

13 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I suspect most of the people saying they can live on 20-25k (baht) a month have not factored in medical care and are uninsured.... since a decent health insurance policy for someone on the wrong side of 60 will alone cost around 7k a month (baht) rising to over 10k/month as you climb into your late 70's. And adequate self insurance requires 1-4 million baht set aside just for that purpose aling with either means to replenish it or a fallback plan to move back home when it is used up.

Seen more retirees than I can count come to serious grief on this account. And others forced to pull up stakes and return home.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

20 to 25k a month is not living its just surviving...as a perspective UK welfare money on average would total around THB 23k/m in payment while i believe in the US this would total around THB 55k/m

Therefore those living on 20-25km are on or below the bread line, assuming they are not living in their own paid for properties or driving paid for vehicles which would reduce the monthly out going

I dont live a big life style in Thailand, but after school fees, insurances etc, not much change every month out of around THB 180k  

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Scottjouro said:

20 to 25k a month is not living its just surviving...as a perspective UK welfare money on average would total around THB 23k/m in payment while i believe in the US this would total around THB 55k/m

Therefore those living on 20-25km are on or below the bread line, assuming they are not living in their own paid for properties or driving paid for vehicles which would reduce the monthly out going

I dont live a big life style in Thailand, but after school fees, insurances etc, not much change every month out of around THB 180k  

Very few foreigners in Thailand will have mortgages and from experience, not many at all will have car payments.

And to put things into even greater perspective, the average wage/salary/income in Thailand is around 15 k baht per month.

6 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Very few foreigners in Thailand will have mortgages and from experience, not many at all will have car payments.

And to put things into even greater perspective, the average wage/salary/income in Thailand is around 15 k baht per month.

Average for who ?....Thai nationals...the same people who can get mortgages, car loans, have credit cards...loan sharking is big business in Thailand why is that ?..therefore one can suggest that even THB 15k month is not enough for the average suburban Thai to live on.....

Now extend this approach to the 20k to 25k month farang brigade 

1. Cant get a mortgage in Thailand...so will always rent, always dead money

2. Cant really get a cc

3. Their medical expenses are not subsidised like thai nationals

4. Thai nationals dont have to front fees for visa etc

In conclusion i stand by my remarks that farangs living on 20 to 25k month are at or below "welfare case" levels 

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Be wary of what you are or are not covered for. Also be wary of rises of premiums and maybe even 

getting cut of in future years. I got health insurance from a local Thai company and paid for two years, I asked Sheryl for advice about it and told her it was in Thai, she advised me to ask them for it in English, they kept humming and hawing about it so I cancelled it.

All I am saying is be careful.

Yes I whole heartily agree with you,  as I've said on various threads where health Insurance is mentioned my wife went chopping for my cover.

Before payment Thai and English were presented and we are happy with the cover,  we cut down some of cover items they initially presented to get down to a cost I was comfortable with

Basically it's a 20 year cover so I'm good till 87.

I'm very fortunate that I accrued about 5 mill baht in cash in Thailand, I grew that money over the past five years by converting Pounds at a favourable rate. For several years I was the single voice advising people to invest in the local currency but all the usual Thaivisa Forum nonsense posters kept advising to only bring as much money into Thailand as you can afford to lose, possibly the worst advice of the decade! So today I've reduced my Pound holdings to a very very low level, I've put the bulk of it into an inexpensive retirement flat in the UK which gets serviced by my UK income stream, our Thai home takes care of itself pretty much. I wonder how many posters/expats here are sitting on Pounds and waiting whilst being increasingly squeezed by the Thai Baht, I bet there's plenty.

3 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Big difference between having a family and all that goes with, and a single pensioner in a room.

If I were single, I could live in a studio apartment easily and would need a car.

A 35m2 room ?....and one wonders why so many farangs jump off balconys ? 

Again i stand by my premise...surviving....not living...

2 minutes ago, Scottjouro said:

Average for who ?....Thai nationals...the same people who can get mortgages, car loans, have credit cards...loan sharking is big business in Thailand why is that ?..therefore one can suggest that even THB 15k month is not enough for the average suburban Thai to live on.....

2. Cant really get a cc

In conclusion i stand by my remarks that farangs living on 20 to 25k month are at or below "welfare case" levels 

25k a month for a farang, without any other outgoings such as mortgage or car payments is worth considerably more than the Thai average income of 15k a month, from which mortgage and car payments are deducted. I would argue that if you're in BKK burning through 180k a month on an expat package you have no idea what the true cost of living is in Thailand - as a retiree in Northern Thailand we own our home and cars and live very comfortably and well on 45k a month, we want for almost nothing, 25k a month is dooable but will not permit too many visits to Villa, Emporium and Paragon!

11 minutes ago, Scottjouro said:

A 35m2 room ?....and one wonders why so many farangs jump off balconys ? 

Again i stand by my premise...surviving....not living...

Apartments near my house (just outside CM), 4k/month, 2 rooms, kitchen, shower room, balcony. You can rent a 2 bedroom house with a garden for 6k/month Vs my studio flat in London, smaller than 35m2 and cost 500,000 pounds (20,000,000bht).

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

So do you mean that only young people use the NHS, and old people get their own health insurance. I am English.

No idea what your trying to get at,  if your English you surely know you can get NHS care at any age.

If you live in Thailand and you can afford it get health care insurance or have some dosh tucked away for any health problems, accident that may arise.

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

Not too many people will want to face up to the reality of their own tipping point in all of this, at one point must they take action, at 40, at 35, at 30, it's scary stuff and the older and more entrenched you've become here, the worse it is.

I concur that's why my take is and has been if your thinking of retiring in Thailand planning is essential.

There is a history on the baht something to be considered looking into.

19 minutes ago, Scottjouro said:

2. Cant really get a cc

I think you really do not have clue how rural Thailand works, self sufficiency, any farang with a Thai partner/family, who own land, can easily slot into this way of life. Rural Thailand provides a wide variety of home grown food , regarding accommodation, cheap initial outlay negates renting, shows commitment, and leaves a home for your family.

I'm a good cook so if I feel the need for western food I can rustle up something to my liking. Don't require restaurants but do visit KFC as  treat for the children, although my wife does excellent BBQ chicken thighs along with other great food, so no real need to eat out

Don't need a truck, plenty of neighbours who can use a days rental to help pay for theirs, otherwise we have motorcycles for every day use. I actually enjoy my bicycle.

Maybe to you this is 'welfare' level - for me I enjoy every moment

If one lives in the metropolis with daily payment for accommodation, food, and sex then yes possibly 25k a month will not be living the high life. Most of us have learnt to prioritise as we travel through life, those that didn't probably have not moved to rural Thailand.

I have no idea really on what I can live on and what I cannot.

I allow myself 100,000 a month.to live. But then I tell myself I can live on 60,000 and save 40,000 for a rainy day so I allow for 60,000.  60,000 is usually to much so I change to 45,000. That should do it right. Well last month I spent 25,000.I save more than I spend.

And this is taking care of wife,grand daughter,2 dogs a cat and raising fish. Plus running my car and 2 motorcycles.

The first 5 years I lived here I saved 600,000 a year. And returned to Canada for a visit each year. Renting a car there and staying in hotels and eating in restaurants

It is dirt cheap to live here.

30 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Apartments near my house (just outside CM), 4k/month, 2 rooms, kitchen, shower room, balcony. You can rent a 2 bedroom house with a garden for 6k/month Vs my studio flat in London, smaller than 35m2 and cost 500,000 pounds (20,000,000bht).

Yes, its about the same rental costs for houses and apartments in my town (Trat), I can easily live here on 50.000-60,000 THB/month with my family in a house, 2 cars, English program school for my kid, western and Thai food. Most of the money goes to food and travel expenses. I think my same lifestyle would cost 130.000-150.000 THB in a northern European country per month. My rental and school expenses would probably be 10.000 - 20.000 higher per month if I lived in Bangkok or in Phuket.

17 hours ago, sanemax said:

Not only that , the Americans only get 32 and they seem to be doing OK .

If Americans get 32 , Brits cant complain about getting 38

Dont give up your day job whatever you do. Quite frightening

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

25k a month for a farang, without any other outgoings such as mortgage or car payments is worth considerably more than the Thai average income of 15k a month, from which mortgage and car payments are deducted. I would argue that if you're in BKK burning through 180k a month on an expat package you have no idea what the true cost of living is in Thailand - as a retiree in Northern Thailand we own our home and cars and live very comfortably and well on 45k a month, we want for almost nothing, 25k a month is dooable but will not permit too many visits to Villa, Emporium and Paragon!

WOW so many unfounded assumptions about my life style to which you have no clue about, i dont live in BKK and dont burn through anything, and what makes you think i am on an expat package ?

i am very aware of what things cost in Thailand, we also have our own home and car....so please get off condecending judgemental  high horse before you fall

32 minutes ago, 473geo said:

I think you really do not have clue how rural Thailand works, self sufficiency, any farang with a Thai partner/family, who own land, can easily slot into this way of life. Rural Thailand provides a wide variety of home grown food , regarding accommodation, cheap initial outlay negates renting, shows commitment, and leaves a home for your family.

I'm a good cook so if I feel the need for western food I can rustle up something to my liking. Don't require restaurants but do visit KFC as  treat for the children, although my wife does excellent BBQ chicken thighs along with other great food, so no real need to eat out

Don't need a truck, plenty of neighbours who can use a days rental to help pay for theirs, otherwise we have motorcycles for every day use. I actually enjoy my bicycle.

If one lives in the metropolis with daily payment for accommodation, food, and sex then yes possibly 25k a month will not be living the high life. Most of us have learnt to prioritise as we travel through life, those that didn't probably have not moved to rural Thailand.

Why would i care how rural Thailand works ? I have no inclination to live is some god foresaken backwater shacked up with an illiterate rice farmers daughter and her hill billy family...

32 minutes ago, 473geo said:

I live in my wife's house on my wife's land and we have been married 18 years with a 14 year old son. So no rent to pay and no living in a 30/35 sq/m apartment but in a comfortable 3/4 bed house on 15 rai.

I have gone one stage further here in rural Khampaeng Phet.

I make my own sausages, ham, pate, bread and most of the western food that I like. I gave up making biscuits and cakes as they made me fatter than I am and I was the only one that ate them.

We do have a truck as we are 65 km from KPP which is where the nearest supermarkets are and where I go once a month for a bulk shop.

My wife drinks Thai whisky and I drink Sang Som Thai rum with soda and ice.

All in all we have a good life but neither of us go to girlie bars or in her case boy bars. She is a great cook and we rarely go out in the evening to a restaurant.

We could do more things with a better exchange rate or less if it goes lower.

6 minutes ago, Scottjouro said:

Why would i care how rural Thailand works ? I have no inclination to live is some god foresaken backwater shacked up with an illiterate rice farmers daughter and her hill billy family...

Thanks good to know, appreciate you putting our minds at rest - ?

15 minutes ago, Scottjouro said:

Thank you so much for your ignorant, arrogant and condescending attitude to those of us who choose to live in rural Thailand.

I have no interest in how you live your life as that is up to you, especially as you seem to have no idea what you are talking about.

I too have lived in big cities in 38 countries across the world and you would have to pay me large amounts to go and live in another.

29 minutes ago, Scottjouro said:

WOW so many unfounded assumptions about my life style to which you have no clue about, i dont live in BKK and dont burn through anything, and what makes you think i am on an expat package ?

i am very aware of what things cost in Thailand, we also have our own home and car....so please get off condecending judgemental  high horse before you fall

You wrote earlier:

"after school fees, insurances etc, not much change every month out of around THB 180k". 

25 minutes ago, Scottjouro said:

What an arrogant a++e you are.

I live in a rural backwater, married to a rice farmers daughter, who is probably better educated than you.

With your attitude you wont last long here.

8 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

You wrote earlier:

"after school fees, insurances etc, not much change every month out of around THB 180k". 

And from that you got living in Bangkok on an expat package and shopping in villa and paragon or what ever you wrote

41 minutes ago, Scottjouro said:

get off condecending judgemental  high horse before you fall

39 minutes ago, Scottjouro said:

Pot, meet kettle. 

8 minutes ago, colinneil said:

What an arrogant a++e you are.

I live in a rural backwater, married to a rice farmers daughter, who is probably better educated than you.

With your attitude you wont last long here.

I think you miss understand the percieved arrogance for me being to the point and truthful...and you should note..i did say i personally wasnt inclined to  living in a backwater...so your suggesting i am arrogant because i would not choose that lifestyle..?....judgemental big you are...

Archived