Even at 38 baht to the pound most retirees won’t and cannot leave Thailand

webfact

12 minutes ago, Scottjouro said:

I think you miss understand the percieved arrogance for me being to the point and truthful...and you should note..i did say i personally wasnt inclined to  living in a backwater...so your suggesting i am arrogant because i would not choose that lifestyle..?....judgemental big you are...

So you live on 180,000 baht a month.

A Real gentleman does not talk about their income, There are millionaires who use this forum but they don't patronise the members who have less by talking about what they have.

You will not be very well respected on this forum with an attitude like yours

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ThaiPauly said:

A Real gentleman does not talk about their income, There are millionaires who use this forum but they don't patronise the members who have less by talking about what they have.

Yes and who said i was a gentleman ?....

as regards attitude it seems perfectly acceptable to go on about about how little some spend, and trying to suggest any one who spends more than them is some how wasting money and in the wrong, and if someone as a farang doesnt live in a rural backwater they somehow dont know Thailand....it all sounds very much like sour grapes to me, and maybe many are trapped in Thailand per the premise of this thread..?

I have no want to gain any respect from any faceless strangers on any on line forum as i am not that insecure...

21 hours ago, billd766 said:

In your opinion but not in everybody elses.

True mine is just an opinion and I hope I am wrong.  Been wrong before and will be wrong again. Thankfully I am not a UK citizen  and have nothing to lose.

But the risks of divorce often keep people and companies together unless one gets angry or loses it temper or is abused or bored.  Seems like anger rules the day in the Brexit vote which rarely is a good decision.   Anger is a terrible emotion to base any decision. Numerous historical anger decisions exists proving anger equals stupid decisions. IMO I hope for the best for you and other UK citizens but I am betting my money against you. I know three colleagues with well paying bank jobs moved to Dublin two months ago and are now paid in Euros. They and a lot of their staff will never return to London with those good paying jobs. IMO many more to follow. That tells me the EU is not quick to give the UK easy access and why should they?  I am cheering for New York City but clearly IMO London loses and NYC, Dublin, Beijing, Frankfurt and Paris will benefit greatly.  Thanks for the financial gift. Rarely countries like the UK commit financial suicide based on anger and arrogance. But it happens. 

The world currencies will be dollar, euro and yuan.  Everything else will be secondary.  You may argue the Swiss Franc has done well but if you argue Swiss and British economies are the same you are making a hopeful but sadly mistaken argument.  

UK will need to somehow pull a rabbit out of the hat. I hope they do but it will not be in our lifetime. To all the retirees I am sorry for you, but at least your mates got to espouse anger and arrogance in their chants to vote for relegation to become a country that no longer will be in the Premier league. You will be able to control your roster but few if any real economic players will care as they are already leaving for other teams. As for the pound why would anyone in a global market want pounds?  Too risky and becoming far less significant. Less demand for a currency means the currency value decreases over time, not miraculously increases because you are British and control your border. Best of luck. You will need it and you don’t have many friends in the world based on your past history. The Irish are dancing in Dublin.  Don’t see a lot of dancing in London. Peace 

8 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

I know three colleagues with well paying bank jobs moved to Dublin two months ago and are now paid in Euros.

Nobody could pay me enough to live in Dublin.

As for your predictions for the future, I see all of Europe as a potential Muslim Caliphate, with the UK as an island under siege (but just as likely we''ll see a E.L.E.  before then).

21 hours ago, vogie said:

And what are you basing this in depth study on, bar room talk? It's time to wake up Wake Up.???

Actually I have woke up and bet against the pound. Think it is a good bet going forward.  So I have put money where my mouth is ——unlike many Brexit voters who simply shout we are great and always will be as soon as we control our border and not let Belgium tell us what to do. Why because we are British and we have a very spoiled history and that is how countries die on the vine.  What does the UK have to offer other than the rule of law that you can get elsewhere. Tell me please why the British will be so great as a small piece of independent land with many enemies, bad weather,  an emerging giant in China, a powerful EU, and saddled a shrinking demand for their currency.  What are you going to manufacture?  Will the Queen and tabloids save you?  All your manufacturing equipment is already in China. I hope you are right but I don’t like to bet on a team winning when the odds of victory are 100-1 against the team even if I like the team. The world is a very competitive place. Not a lot of room for the British to dominate in anything by being alone.  The Brexit vote was simply a vote of anger and arrogance. Stop the madness. 

17 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

Actually I have woke up and bet against the pound. Think it is a good bet going forward.  So I have put money where my mouth is ——unlike many Brexit voters who simply shout we are great and always will be as soon as we control our border and not let Belgium tell us what to do. Why because we are British and we have a very spoiled history and that is how countries die on the vine.  What does the UK have to offer other than the rule of law that you can get elsewhere. Tell me please why the British will be so great as a small piece of independent land with many enemies, bad weather,  an emerging giant in China, a powerful EU, and saddled a shrinking demand for their currency.  What are you going to manufacture?  Will the Queen and tabloids save you?  All your manufacturing equipment is already in China. I hope you are right but I don’t like to bet on a team winning when the odds of victory are 100-1 against the team even if I like the team. The world is a very competitive place. Not a lot of room for the British to dominate in anything by being alone.  The Brexit vote was simply a vote of anger and arrogance. Stop the madness. 

Welcome to our world

4 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Is not the Euro off 25% against the Baht over the last 5 years?

No such direct exchange rate between the Euro and Baht.

Dollar/Baht mutiplied by Dollar/Euro is the pairing.....the latter has seen the decline in the exchange rate we see today

19 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

Mark Carney (the governor of the bank of england) has admitted his overreaction to the Brexit vote caused the pound to lose value. He lowered interest rates to counter a predicted collapse in the economy which didn't happen. He cannot now raise interest rates too fast for fear of creating a recession. However, he made a keynote speech recently which was very negative about Brexit and this has caused the pound to drop further. He knew his speech would do this but he made it anyway. As his predictions were so wrong about Brexit I think he is trying to force the issue so he can say 'I told you so'. I think the man should <deleted> off back to Canada.

Entirely without prejudice .

He knows exactly what he is doing, he knows that every time he opens his mouth his buddies on the money market make millions from the drop in the value of the pound and it would not surprise me if he is not doing the same although I do not wish here to cast aspersions or make accusations.

This is called manipulating the money market and is entirely illegal for you and me but we are not bankers.

It appears that his contract given him by his best buddies in an earlier Tory government ( pre May ) gave him complete immunity from actions that have consistently undermined the economy, monetary value, and the head of state our wonderful Queen, WHy else has he not been prosecuted for Treason.

1 hour ago, ThaiPauly said:
2 hours ago, Scottjouro said:

I think you miss understand the percieved arrogance for me being to the point and truthful...and you should note..i did say i personally wasnt inclined to  living in a backwater...so your suggesting i am arrogant because i would not choose that lifestyle..?....judgemental big you are...

yeah right! if the question is "what's your cost of living...?" those who spend more than 30,000 Baht a month should shut up and that applies also for those who answer "15-20,000/month" when the question is "how high is your electricity bill?"

been there... experienced it... got the t-shirt... yawn... :coffee1:

Once the Tories get rid of Sharia May, then the UK will finally get out of the corrupt EU.  The UK can then start trading with the other 85% of the worlds markets instead of being tied to the EUs 15%.  Then the Pound should hopefully quickly get back to the 70 Baht to the Pound or maybe even better.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Nobody could pay me enough to live in Dublin.

As for your predictions for the future, I see all of Europe as a potential Muslim Caliphate, with the UK as an island under siege (but just as likely we''ll see a E.L.E.  before then).

You obviously have not been to Dublin lately. We disagree. I really don’t care as I understand your frustration but no one on the Brexit side has any arguments as to  why the world will want the pound. I travel Europe and Uk a month a year. EU is not a Muslim Cailphate and neither is the UK. Hope it all works out for you.  Who is long on the pound now. Who is short the pound. Hope is not an investment strategy.  Take care

Just now, Thaimike370 said:

Once the Tories get rid of Sharia May, then the UK will finally get out of the corrupt EU.  The UK can then start trading with the other 85% of the worlds markets instead of being tied to the EUs 15%.  Then the Pound should hopefully quickly get back to the 70 Baht to the Pound or maybe even better.

:cheesy:

1 minute ago, Thaimike370 said:

Hold onto that dream

2 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

You obviously have not been to Dublin lately. We disagree. I really don’t care as I understand your frustration but no one on the Brexit side has any arguments as to  why the world will want the pound. I travel Europe and Uk a month a year. EU is not a Muslim Cailphate and neither is the UK. Hope it all works out for you.  Who is long on the pound now. Who is short the pound. Hope is not an investment strategy.  Take care

The whole of Ireland is (and always has been) an economic disaster, I'd give it all (and Scotland) to the EU as a leaving gift.

23 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

What currency did you use to bet against the pound?

You need two sides to bet.

You buy dollars and you also buy an ETF that shorts UK based stocks reliant on payment by the pound and valued in pounds. You also can simply short the pound -  you don’t have to buy another currency.  I personally hate short sellers but Brexit was too easy a call not to short the pound. 

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

The whole of Ireland is (and always has been) an economic disaster, I'd give it all (and Scotland) to the EU as a leaving gift.

You are 100 percent wrong about Dublin. Been there many times in the past. Have you seen the global companies based there?  Have you seen the banks move there from London?  If you have not then you have not seen Dublin.  They love the EU, dislike the British and appreciate the Brexit gift. You are way off on your comments of this post. Sounds like maybe you are thinking of Dublin 20 years ago. You could not affford a flat in Dublin financial center today. But wait 5 years and you can afford a London flat again. 

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Agree Eire is a EU ponce,  Nth Ireland  has always been a pain in the what'it and now Scotland get rid of em. 

Archived