Renewing 5-year drivers licences at Hua Hin. A step by step account.

45 minutes ago, ICECOOL said:

I believe 500 baht per residency certificate is the official charge at HH. It's been the same since going there first time 6 years ago.

Seems to be some confusion over this, other posters say this service is officially free and they complained to the head of immigration and didn't have to pay in the end. My understanding of this is officially immigration says it takes a few days for the certificates to be issued, so by paying 500 Bt each (for which there's no receipt) you get the certificate in 20 minutes, not 2,3,4 days later. 

2 hours ago, Chassa said:

Only Step 3 At Nong Bua Lamphu, Videos were in English and cost 700 Baht for 2 licences. Took about the same time.

Interesting, so at NBL you don't need to have a residency certificate? 

There was one more test that I didn't mention in my post above, mainly because i didn't know what it's called. Anyway, it's the Depth Perception Test, when you have to hit the button to line up 2 moving vertical bars. I found this damn difficult as I could barely detect the bloody things moving at all. I actually had 2 or 3 shots before getting it right. They seemed very lenient with these tests at Pranburi yesterday, the TG doing the brake test before me had about 4 or 5 shots before she got it right. As I said nobody failed. 

21 hours ago, TSF said:

then she came out and handed me 2 residency certificates

Did they take the 2 certificates at the Department of Land transportation ?

I ask because at Chonburi   you can use 1 original and 1 copy  if you renew  car and bike licences at the same time....so you might have saved 500 baht...which is a good few beers  ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Odin Norway said:

No you dont need any,if you have a yellow house book.And that goes for the hole country.

Right, if you have a yellow book. I'll be doing that next year after I sort a few things out.

33 minutes ago, johng said:

Did they take the 2 certificates at the Department of Land transportation ?

I ask because at Chonburi   you can use 1 original and 1 copy  if you renew  car and bike licences at the same time....so you might have saved 500 baht...which is a good few beers  ?

Nah, I checked about that. I phoned Pranburi and asked beforehand, and to make double sure got my Thai wife to phone again and ask, they require 2 originals, and when I handed in all my docs at Pranburi the lady said yes they require 2 originals....madness really, but that's how they want it. I have an official address notification form issued by Hua Hin Imm stapled into my passport....why the hell can't that be accepted as verification of address?

Edited by TSF
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, grego49 said:

Buriram,eye tests and brake reaction test(that a lot of thais fail)and no video.and got 6  years too,cheers

Did the test in Nangrong some time ago.

A lady rocks up to get a license for a bike.

BTW, she had never ridden a bike.

Her son had an accident and could not ride anymore. 

The Brake reaction test.

Hilarious. 

Three of us helped her to hit the brake.. using the right foot. 

By holding her left foot so she could not move it.

Eight times she got it wrong. 

Beats me why they use the same test for car and bike.?

Did she get her bike license?

If course she did... ?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, davebates20 said:

In Phayao I didn't have to watch the video, the lady just gave me a book of the highway code and told me to read it for one hour, and I had to sit there for an hour even though I'd read it in 20 minutes.

Yeah, there are many variations around the country. When I did my 5-year licences last time, 5 years ago at Chonburi, it took a lot longer and there were many more people, so this time at Pranburi was a breeze really.

1 hour ago, Odin Norway said:

No you dont need any,if you have a yellow house book.And that goes for the hole country.

Not, unfortunately, the case in Phuket.  Residency Certificate from immigration required, yellow house registration book not accepted.

When I got my license 1 year ago in Kumphawapi had to watch a movie. 

Which mostly was of a Thai male laying down under a tree and showed drivers license hanging from a tree and he dreamt about getting a license. I was laughing so hard didn’t pay attention to the rest. 

I’m not kidding 

So.... this is perhaps how the money tree came about! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DJ54 said:

When I got my license 1 year ago in Kumphawapi had to watch a movie. 

Which mostly was of a Thai male laying down under a tree and showed drivers license hanging from a tree and he dreamt about getting a license. I was laughing so hard didn’t pay attention to the rest. 

I’m not kidding 

So.... this is perhaps how the money tree came about! 

As i said above I thought the safety vid was pretty good. But one thing disturbed me a bit. It was in the part about correct use of car horns and in the scene a girl was sitting alone in a parked car and a young man came up and knocked on the car window. the gal in the car then blasted the horn loudly several times and a group of nearby men came running out with sticks and started beating on the guy knocking on the window and when he fell to the ground they all booted him and stomped on his head....I was thinking Jesus Christ, this is like the gov' telling Thais this is the correct thing to do. In the vid the guy who got beat up said he wasn't trying to bother the gal in the parked car but just wanted to inform her that she'd left her lights on. Some things are so bloody weird here it's like another planet...lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gilo said:

Has anyone renewed in an office that does not require that blasted depth perception test? I really can not figure it out as I have a dominant eye.

I've never had to do the depth perception test at the Phuket Land Transport Office.  In fact, I've never seen the test equipment for that test there either.  However, I don't think you will be able to choose which LTO you use, I think you are restricted to the one where you live.  In Phuket you are required to show a residency certificate from immigration when you apply for driver's licenses.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, TeaMonkey said:

Couldn’t do that depth perception test due to not being able to use my left eye. Kept getting up and checking the box and then guessing when to press the pedal. Passed it in the end after several attempts. 

I know exactly what you mean...with a dominant eye I do not have 3D vision and therefore that test is really a pain. It is good that there are some places where it is not required. Cha Am here I come ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gilo said:

I know exactly what you mean...with a dominant eye I do not have 3D vision and therefore that test is really a pain. It is good that there are some places where it is not required. Cha Am here I come ?

Good luck with Cha Am, I last went there about 3 years ago so I don't have to go back until 2020 sometime.

I will add that I went there around 3pm I think it was, not too long before they closed which might have been a factor in doing no tests - the place was pretty much empty.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ukrules said:

I've never done any tests so far, I went to the DLT, Cha Am office.

13 hours ago, gilo said:

11 hours ago, ukrules said:

Good luck with Cha Am, I last went there about 3 years ago so I don't have to go back until 2020 sometime.

I will add that I went there around 3pm I think it was, not too long before they closed which might have been a factor in doing no tests - the place was pretty much empty.

When I got my residency certificate from Hua Hin Imm, I was asked which DLT I was going to - Pranburi or Cha Am?

I said Pranburi because it's nearer to when I live, so Pranburi was put on the form and I guess it was also put on the residency certificates. So I doubt I could have gone elsewhere to take the tests.

Regarding the tests: as I said I had 3 shots at the depth perception test, the gal before me had a few shots at the brake test.

My wife did her tests for the 5-year licence in Chonburi about 3 years ago and she told me everyone only had 1 shot at each test, and lots of people failed various tests. So Pranburi is definitely very lenient, at the moment.

On 8/18/2018 at 4:20 PM, jvs said:

I believe you can renew your license now anywhere you want.

My address is in Udon Thani, renewed my licences in Nong Bua Lamphu. Using the yellow house book.