Rubbish on Samui

So has anyone got an update on the incinerator and 300,000 tonnes of garbage piled up on Samui?

I heard they were going to start shipping it to the mainland.

Why is the incinerator inoperative after 9 years?

Is it still leaching into the ground water - is that why people are getting rashes from showers, swimming and laundry?

anybody got a recent update on this - it feels as if the damage may be irreparable......

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, muratremix said:

They will never fix incinerator and solve trash problem. Southern part of Thailand (except Phuket) is worse than Thailand in general.

They don't even have a backup electric generation plant in island.

Buy Thay claim its a 5 star holiday resort 5555555555555

I was there yesterday investigating for myself. I am living here for about 6 years and see nothing has changed. The incinerator is a ghost town and the trash is spreading higher and wider on the hills above the water Phru Na Mueang Water Reservoir. It is concerning to some of us that there is some leaching into the groundwater and making its way to the reservoir as it is a direct path downhill to the source. See photo of landfill and reservoir and the short proximity to each other.

With the explosion in building more residential, hotels, etc., this island's days appear to be numbered. 

Samui Waste Landfill & Phru Na Mueang Water Resivoir.jpg

Edited by Seducedbytheseas
WRONG PHOTO
  • Thanks 2

"They will never fix incinerator and solve trash problem.Southern part of Thailand (except Phuket) is worse than Thailand in general."

Firstly one needs to be clear that the incinerator is not intrinsically linked to the disposal of waste..in fact it could only a partial solution and not particularly desirable one either.

Samui and the islands are indeed dreadful blackspots but the worst pollution in Thailand is around the hugeworld petrochemical industries in Rayong and Chonburi.

meanwhile all islands in Thailand suffer from their own particular problems, not least of which is being an island

Edited by kwilco