First 90 Day Report today - I am confused??

I received my first 'Extension of Stay' based upon retirement exactly 83 days ago. It was granted on the expiry of my one year, Non O  Visa on that same day.  So far so good and very understandable.  I pitched up at Pattaya Immigration today for my first 90 day report,  due I thought 90 days after the extension stamp, so on the 27th of August, to be told that  it is not 90 days from the date on the Extension of Stay stamp, but 90 days from my last entry into the Country on the O visa itself, which was March.  Due to the wording of the Extension of Stay stamp I naturally assumed (wrong as it happened) that my first 90 day report was due 90 days after that stamp was issued,  The IO was very nice about it, kudos to him, and he pointed out my error  (is it an error?) and  he did the report paperwork and no fine, just advice !  So, I am confused as to  when I should have done a first report, as the Extension was granted on the last day on my 90 day stay on the O visa., so surely that was me reporting as well?   It's all sorted now, but it could have been a  very bad day. 

2 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Your first extension of stay should have been the start of the 90 days, as this is also normally treated as a 90 day report, note that subsequent extensions are not treated as such.

That's what I thought, obviously not to this IO. I am not at all sure what I could have done differently. At least he was very nice about it. 

Just now, Pilotman said:

That's what I thought, obviously not to this IO. I am not at all sure what I could have done differently. At least he was very nice about it. 

Yes, as you say he was nice about it, but as far as I am aware you did nothing wrong at all, the first extension is also considered as a 90 day report, or at least to my knowledge it is.

• Thanks 1

I'm pretty sure that Immigration is correct on this (If I have understood correctly). The 90 day is nothing to do with your visa - it is purely from when you enterd the country. So from the date you entered - every 90 days you must go and get your stamp regardless of what the situation is with your visa. Everytime you do this they should attach a piece of paper into your passport telling you when you are next due to attend for the 90 day stamp. Thats how it works with my marriage (non o) visa so would it be right to assume it should be the same for you!?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, greenmonkey said:

I'm pretty sure that Immigration is correct on this (If I have understood correctly). The 90 day is nothing to do with your visa - it is purely from when you enterd the country. So from the date you entered - every 90 days you must go and get your stamp regardless of what the situation is with your visa. Everytime you do this they should attach a piece of paper into your passport telling you when you are next due to attend for the 90 day stamp. Thats how it works with my marriage (non o) visa so would it be right to assume it should be the same for you!?

Small point, if you're doing 90 day reports it's an extension of stay, not a visa.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, greenmonkey said:

I stand to be corrected, but the FIRST time that you apply for an extension of stay is also treated as the start of the 90 day clock reporting wise.

Looks like I am not the only one who is unsure. The visa has expired, so the  extension of stay stamp is surely the benchmark date now, unless I leave the country and return under a re entry permit, in which case, that new entry date becomes the new benchmark?  The stamp clearly states that reporting must be completed every 90 days , but it must surely be from the date of the stamp.  Making it from the date of last entry  on the expired visa doesn't  seem to make any  sense at all

op be happy.

just pay attention to the next reporting date on the paper stapled inside your passport in the back.

set a alarm in your phone to remind you a week before due date because you will forget.

otherwise 2000 baht fine.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Looks like I am not the only one who is unsure. The visa has expired, so the  extension of stay stamp is surely the benchmark date now, unless I leave the country and return under a re entry permit, in which case, that new entry date becomes the new benchmark?  The stamp clearly states that reporting must be completed every 90 days , but it must surely be from the date of the stamp.  Making it from the date of last entry  on the expired visa doesn't  seem to make any  sense at all

As per the link to the immigration website that Lopburi3 has kindly posted, the first extension of stay application IS the equivalent to a 90 day report and that day is day one, so your next report day should be 89 days from the day you applied for the extension in Jomtien.

Should you leave the country and return between the date of your extension and the next 90 day report due date, then the clock starts again from and including the day you entered Thailand.

As I said before, do note that the renewals of your extension are NOT considered to be a 90 day report.

Edited by Mattd
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

So, I am confused as to  when I should have done a first report, as the Extension was granted on the last day on my 90 day stay on the O visa., so surely that was me reporting as well?

The first report after entering was considered to be the day you applied for the extension of stay.

The reason for 90 day reporting is to report your address which you did with the extension application.

The second report (your first actual report) should be 90 days from the day you applied for the extension. Usually the will issue a report slip giving you the date of the first report when they issue the extension of stay.

Edited by elviajero
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Mattd said:

As I said before, do note that the renewals of your extension are NOT considered to be a 90 day report.

BUT - some IO’s will reset the 90 day count when you renew an extension.

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

Small point, if you're doing 90 day reports it's an extension of stay, not a visa.

Your point is adding/creating confusion.

Anyone with a permit to stay longer than 90 days needs to make ‘90 day reports’, whether the permit to stay is an entry stamp from a visa entry OR an extension of stay.

21 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Your point is adding/creating confusion.

Anyone with a permit to stay longer than 90 days needs to make ‘90 day reports’, whether the permit to stay is an entry stamp from a visa entry OR an extension of stay.

Strange, I've been on O visas for at least 9 years and as yet I have never gone to Imm' to do a 90 day report, including all the years I was working.

What you are referring to is the out/in every 90 days which no-one calls a 90 day report.

6 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Strange, I've been on O visas for at least 9 years and as yet I have never gone to Imm' to do a 90 day report, including all the years I was working.

What you are referring to is the out/in every 90 days which no-one calls a 90 day report.

Believe he is referring to the fact an O-A visa entry allows a one year stay and you indeed need to make 90 day reports if you stay more than 90 days on such an entry.  Obviously if you exit before 90 days at any point such a report is not required until you actually stay 90 consecutive days.

2 hours ago, Mattd said:

I stand to be corrected, but the FIRST time that you apply for an extension of stay is also treated as the start of the 90 day clock reporting wise.

Some offices may do that, however the wording of the 90 day report states if you have been in Thailand for more than 90 days you must report. 

So the immigration official was correct in stating that it is 90 days from your last entry not from the granting of the extension of stay, though the OP was lucky not to be fined.

However TIT and some offices may reset the 90 days to the date of the extension 

37 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Thanks everyone; so it seems that the IO was in error,  so whilst that is  a concern for those who follow, it's a bit of a relief for me, that my  initial understanding was correct.  

No error by the IO, your understanding was incorrect.

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Believe he is referring to the fact an O-A visa entry allows a one year stay and you indeed need to make 90 day reports if you stay more than 90 days on such an entry.  Obviously if you exit before 90 days at any point such a report is not required until you actually stay 90 consecutive days.

Not arguing that point, only saying that in the second year of an OA it has been converted to 'an extension of stay' requiring re-entry permits to keep it ( the extension of stay ) alive for the second year because the one year visa has expired.

1 minute ago, sometimewoodworker said:

No error by the IO, your understanding was incorrect.

First extension of stay is regarded as a 90 day report - period.  Posters understanding was totally correct.

The first application for extension of stay by the foreigner is equivalent to the notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days.

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/sv_90day

Just now, lopburi3 said:

First extension of stay is regarded as a 90 day report - period.  Posters understanding was totally correct.

The first application for extension of stay by the foreigner is equivalent to the notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days.

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/sv_90day

You could easily be correct but there is nothing on that page when it is translated that has the wording you quoted 

Notification in the Kingdom over 90 days
Foreigners who are allowed to stay in the Kingdom temporarily. In case of staying in the Kingdom for more than 90 days, the foreigner is obliged to inform the Immigration Officer every 90 days. If any immigration office is located, the Immigration Office will inform the competent official at that office. This is in accordance with Section 37 (5) of the Immigration Act, BE 2522
Notification method
  1. Aliens self-report or
  2. The alien assigned another person to bring the letter to inform or
  3. Aliens may be notified by registered mail.
  4. Aliens can notify their residence before 15 days or after 7 days from the due date. If the appointment exceeds. Or exceed the deadline to report the alien must report himself to perform a fine adjustment.
  5. Case beyond the notification of housing. Aliens reported. Will be subject to a fine of 2,000 baht.
  6. For foreigners who leave the country before the next appointment. When he returned to the kingdom. Report to the next residence. At the end of 90 days from the last day of travel into the Kingdom.
Application Form Case filed
  1. Passport
  2. Receipt for over 90 days (if more than 90 days).
  3. Please fill in the details in Form 47 and sign it.
Place of receipt
  1. Resident Notification Division 2 Immigration Bureau 1 Government Center commemorates 80th Anniversary of Chaengwattana Road, Laksi District, Bangkok for foreigners living in Bangkok.
  2. Visa Services and Work Permits Division 3 Immigration Division 1, Chamchuri Square Square, 18th Floor, Pathumwan, Bangkok, for foreigners working in Juridical Bank with a registered capital of not less than Baht 30 million.
  3. All Immigration Reported by the area where the alien resides.
Practices when notified by registered mail.
  1. Copy of passport, photo page, last entry date And the permission to stay in Thailand
  2. Copy of 6-card face-down card (TM.6) .
  3. Receipt for over 90 days (if more than 90 days).
  4. Please fill in the details in Form 47 and sign it.
  5. Envelope with 5 Baht postage stamp addressed to the alien. The competent officer will send the form below with the form 47. When the notice is more than 90 days and then the form 47. To apply for more than 90 days in the next.
  6. Take the envelope in the 1-5 envelope and send it by registered mail. 7 days before the due date (according to the appointment). The alien must keep the proof of registration. By the envelope.

Receiving housing 
    Division 2 Immigration Bureau 1 Immigration Bureau 
    Government Complex Commemorates 80th Birthday Anniversary 
    120 Moo 3, Chaengwattana Road, Soi 7, Thungsonghong, Laksi, Bangkok 10210 Thailand

or

90 Days Report Section 
    Immigration Division 1, Immigration Bureau, 
    Chalermprakiat Government Complex B Building 
    120 Moo 3, Chaengwattana Rd., Soi 7, Toongsonghong, Laksi, 
    Bangkok. 10210

note
  • Notification of residence If you are over 90 days, do not apply for a stay in the Kingdom.
  • Any alien staying more than 90 days does not provide accommodation to the competent official. Or later than scheduled. Report to self. And fines 2,000 baht or the alien arrested in any case. The fine is 4,000 baht.
  • When a foreigner travels out of the Kingdom On return trip, start counting every 90 days.

Immigration office
Hotline: 1178 
Address: 507 Soi Suanplu, Tungmahamek, Sathorn, Bangkok 10120 
Tel .: 0-2287-3101 
Fax: 0-2287-1516, 0-2287-1310

30 minutes ago, overherebc said:

You said; "if you're doing 90 day reports it's an extension of stay, not a visa."

No I'm not. I am referring to anyone that has permission to stay longer than 90 days. Example; someone entering with a 'O-A' visa needs to make 90 day reports if they stay longer than 90 days. They are clearly doing 90 day reports and do not have an extension of stay.

You could easily be correct but there is nothing on that page when it is translated that has the wording you quoted 

Use the English version (right click on Thai word in white box at top and English option appears above) - and this is the top section:

Notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days
Procedure and notification
  1. The foreigner makes the notification in person, or
  2. The foreigner authorises another person to make the notification, or
  3. The foreigner makes the notification by registered mail.
  4. The notification must be made within 15 days before or after 7 days the period of 90 days expires.
  5. The first application for extension of stay by the foreigner is equivalent to the notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days.

Edited by lopburi3