Crumpets

canopus1969

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

LoL. Never made any such comment!

I buy them regularly. My wife eats them every day. The packet has no markings of any kind and looks a bit amateurish. The quality varies slightly from batch to batch. All of which leads me to suspect that they are locally made. Used to sell pies made by a retired British guy who did it as a bit of a hobby/pin money. Suspect that these crumpets may come from a similar source.

Not in the same league as Warburtons, but no crumpets are, Hovis comes a poor second in my book.

If you really want to identify the source, pop in, buy a packet and have a chat with the owner, English guy who is always happy to talk about the produce he sells.

You have a short memory " I'd have thunk there's gonna be a compromise in quality when the name of the store is Siambury's. Maybe try Thaisco's?"

9 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Fit in my toaster just fine. Suggest you invest in a decent toaster.

OK, I'm wrong, the crumpets aren't at all heavy and doughy, but virtually float away, and I have the thinnest slot toaster made.

6 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

I would like to try this recipe just need some help with ingredients.  

What is strong hard flour and caster sugar?

Strong flour is used for baking bread. Has a high gluten content.

Caster sugar is just finely powdered sugar, sometimes called icing sugar. Probably wouldn't make a great deal of difference if you used ordinary sugar.

8 minutes ago, Spidey said:

LoL. That's not a toaster it's a combi microwave. I pity your poor crumpets. buy yourself a decent toaster.

Multifunctional, can be used as a microwave, Convection, Grill or Steam.

Hybrid Convection is a synergy between hot steam and baking at a high temperature.

It's grill function is perfect for toast as it is easier to control than than a lousy little toaster.  For example my wife likes her Crumpets lightly browned and I like mine more crisp.  I grill hers for 5 minutes and mine for 8 minutes.  It is also the only oven I've found in Thailand that can be used at home to 350c which is the necessary temp for a pizza stone.  I rarely use the microwave function but it has 40 presets that go from cooking French bread to reheating Japanese rolls.  Watch the video and learn how affluent people cook in Thailand.

10 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Multifunctional, can be used as a microwave, Convection, Grill or Steam.

Hybrid Convection is a synergy between hot steam and baking at a high temperature.

It's grill function is perfect for toast as it is easier to control than than a lousy little toaster.  For example my wife likes her Crumpets lightly browned and I like mine more crisp.  I grill hers for 5 minutes and mine for 8 minutes.  It is also the only oven I've found in Thailand that can be used at home to 350c which is the necessary temp for a pizza stone.  I rarely use the microwave function but it has 40 presets that go from cooking French bread to reheating Japanese rolls.  Watch the video and learn how affluent people cook in Thailand.

Had a similar combi oven in the UK when I only had a small kitchen. Not great.

Affluent people have a separate oven/grill, microwave, steamer (several) and six slot toaster with variable timer. ?

14 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Strong flour is used for baking bread. Has a high gluten content.

Caster sugar is just finely powdered sugar, sometimes called icing sugar. Probably wouldn't make a great deal of difference if you used ordinary sugar.

Thanks for that so bread flour and icing sugar I understand that Sorry I am Canadian not British and do not know all the terms.

3 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Had a similar combi oven in the UK when I only had a small kitchen. Not great.

Affluent people have a separate oven/grill, microwave, steamer (several) and six slot toaster.

No they don't.  One has to transfer between those appliances while mine does it all.   It is also a proof box,  For example I take frozen dough croissants and proof them for an hour at 40c and then take them out and preheat the dome oven cavity shoot some steam in the chamber and bake them at 200c.  Also the preheat of the pizza stone can't be done in any home oven that I know of as easily.  How many ovens available in Thailand heat to 350c?  I have a convection steamer that controls cooking from 30c to 350c both with superheated steam, steam and dry convection heat and grilling which is only top cooking.  How much did you pay for your combi oven in the UK and what brand?  I'm using a Toshiba  ER-LD430C.  I don't think they are available in primitive countries like the UK yet so it is understandable you would not know much about them.

11 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

No they don't.  One has to transfer between those appliances while mine does it all.   It is also a proof box,  For example I take frozen dough croissants and proof them for an hour at 40c and then take them out and preheat the dome oven cavity shoot some steam in the chamber and bake them at 200c.  Also the preheat of the pizza stone can't be done in any home oven that I know of as easily.  How many ovens available in Thailand heat to 350c?  I have a convection steamer that controls cooking from 30c to 350c both with superheated steam, steam and dry convection heat and grilling which is only top cooking.  How much did you pay for your combi oven in the UK and what brand?  I'm using a Toshiba  ER-LD430C.  I don't think they are available in primitive countries like the UK yet so it is understandable you would not know much about them.

I like croissants for breakfast, warmed in the microwave, my wife likes crumpets, toasted to perfection. Could you do both at the same time? I can understand the need for a combi microwave if you live in a condo with limited space. Not for me.

BTW, is there any need to be personally insulting? Keyboard warrior? It's a topic about crumpets, for goodness sake! TVF really does attract some idiots.

47 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I like croissants for breakfast, warmed in the microwave, my wife likes crumpets, toasted to perfection. Could you do both at the same time? I can understand the need for a combi microwave if you live in a condo with limited space. Not for me.

BTW, is there any need to be personally insulting? Keyboard warrior? It's a topic about crumpets, for goodness sake! TVF really does attract some idiots.

I would never use a microwave to warm croissants.  Why not bake fresh.  Dough available at Macro.  I do use the steam microwave functions for rice and some Asian things.  You could bake or grill both croissants and crumpets at the same time if they were both cooked before hand.  My oven is not small.  To say countertop is a stretch.  It weighs 50 pounds and 31L capacity.  http://www.dssignage.com/toshiba/upload/1463474315.pdf

2 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Sorry, but Caster Sugar is small granulated, whereas Icing Sugar is finely ground.

You can make powdered sugar by blending regular sugar till it becomes a powder if you need some for a recipe and Canadian maple syrup is available at Tops. 

Archived